General discussion and socializing.

Re: REVIEW: Game Has Potential, But Shubla is A Psychopath

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:02 am

Outrageous
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby strpk0 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:05 am

Mildly_Satisfied wrote:The last several years of gameplay has given precedent to psychopaths. People like Shubla or whatever his name is.

Yeah I wonder why devs don't just get rid of him. I've messaged them many times and made even a thread about it but they don't seem to want to answer/ do not care. With very basic community management (well moderated forums for communication, enforcement of basic shitposting rules in the forums etc.) people like this could be gotten either completely rid of or at least their impact on the games community and players greatly reduced. Banning people breaking rules, removing all their posts etc. is a good first step, and a warning for others. Would really, really like to hear what devs think about stuff like this though, either on this thread or the one linked before.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby shurbra » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:06 am

Can't wait to see you all get a nice long curfew!
shurbra
Under curfew

Postby abt79 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:09 am

toasting in epic bread, based
abt79

Re: REVIEW: Game Has Potential, But Snail Is A Psychopath

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:17 am

ye guis just ban smeagolsneil omg ez game fix
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:47 pm

MightySheep wrote:I dont agree that its all about alts in PvP. There have been worlds where that is true because of dumb combat systems in the past but not this one. The only group I know that only use alts this world is snails group but that just means they have to run from every real PvP encounter. Without proper accounts they have to resort to only fighting sprucecap noobs.

Regards to snail I think he is a trans person irl or something from what I've heard so as expected very thirsty for attention, feeds off threads like this. Cant really do anything if you just ignore it.

Online numbers reflect what Haven is always like at this point in wipe tbh. Although this world might be slightly worse because shabby updates, winter and all the pvpers getting bored etcx. My analysis sux but theres reasons. Open world full pvp sandbox will always be slightly toxic. The fact that realms arent working as intended might make it worse though because it allows autists to control the global chat. I keep saying if kingdoms worked properly it would fix so many issues.

Without addressing the larger issue raised in this thread, I'd like to highlight this point.
It has always been too easy to prey on newbs while maintaining the infrastructure (bot assisted or otherwise) to produce endless PvP alts to effortlessly and risklessly troll and kill new and non-competitive players.
As much as you might be true about people rarely using alts right now, MightySheep, that's probably because PvP is so inaccessible that they don't feel particularly likely to lose their mains in fights to random groups of other players, nor would they be too hard to replace even if they did.
It's a structural weakness deeply baked into the game's progression system (your base is almost impossible to attack, and developing it and bots allows you to quickly develop characters that you do put at risk. Once fully established, making characters capable of killing new players easily is a trivial task.)
It's also the unfortunate, and obvious, endgame for developed players who are not quite competitive enough to fight for "Kingdom" control.

It'd be nice to see a complete overhaul of the game to attempt to solve that problem, however doing so would represent a gigantic investment of development resources and would be horrendously divisive in the community that has come to love Haven for what it currently offers.

Over the years I, and many others, have proposed countless ideas as to address this issue. None ever reached any general consensus in the community. Certainly, Jorbtar have had enough feedback on this issue to make changes if they ever decide that such changes are warranted. I suspect after nearly a decade and a half of working on Haven, they're primarily interested in other new ventures right now though, rather than a complete overhaul of an already functional game system.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby vatas » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:30 pm

I heard some game's equivalent to C&I has rule "don't post "a solution", explain the root problem."
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby vnsmirnov » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:47 pm

A license to kill must be expensive. As in Salem.
vnsmirnov

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:57 pm

vnsmirnov wrote:A license to kill must be expensive. As in Salem.

Unless they changed it, you could grind it out and still buy it, and with the right economic set up, afford to feed up more than enough alts to not impact your main character and base. (I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, but just in case... ;) )

vatas wrote:I heard some game's equivalent to C&I has rule "don't post "a solution", explain the root problem."

That was me that posted that. I think it's hubris. I don't even recall why I brought it up (probably the discussion on why C&I should be closed).

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:It'd be nice to see a complete overhaul of the game to attempt to solve that problem, however doing so would represent a gigantic investment of development resources and would be horrendously divisive in the community that has come to love Haven for what it currently offers.

Wouldn't be the first time such has happened. After world 4, the community lost about half the players to the new LP mechanic. Some came back later, but it was still a major shake-up that left many upset. Might be time for another major shake-up as the status quo is failing, or at least getting old.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby insanechef » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:42 am

People don’t care or reach engame, which is partly pvp. Didn’t like 1% of people raid in vanilla wow, I can’t imagine much more percentage do pvp, hardcore pvpers will always be a minority even in a game like this.
insanechef

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar