how many people play legacy haven?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: how many people play legacy haven?

Postby Oddity » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:48 am

Jalpha wrote:The players demand endless patches which add clutter not content.

I don't think anyone asked for a new bird every week
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Jalpha » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:11 am

You can see how high expectations in the community are for regular content updates. It's impossible to fulfil this wish with anything meaningful. The result is a new bird every week. It's difficult to manage customer expectations. By producing this game, jorb and loftar have given me a lot of deep thoughts to mull over.

I do long for the bare-bones familiarity of legacy though. I remember the first person I met in haven handed me a piece of glimmermoss. It opened up a whole new world of exploration. Now you would be lucky to see any at all. Nobody would just give a piece away.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby popfor » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:15 am

Imagine how crazy of a game legacy would have been with half of the currently added content, I've spent years trying to find something the same that wasn't ancient and with an awful user interface. High risk and higher rewards are the name of the game. Half the problem is some idiot tried to moderate the forums out of nowhere years back and killed a highly interactive community, of which the interaction was 75% of the game itself. Honestly, aside from you botters, I don't know what you guys that still play religiously enjoy about the current state of the game.
Image Image
my avatar is stolen without permission
#badboysclub
popfor

Location: E̹̙̺̬̖͈̘̭̙̘̔̈́̍͆͌̋̊̈́̀̎d̡̨̺̠̠̜̲̹͕̯̑̀͂͂̈̇̿̏͝͝g̨̙̻̼͎͖̱͔̗͙̐̅̇͗̈́̔͛̌̌͠ŷ͔̼͓̺̮̪̫̙̬̐͊̀́̊͆͝͝͝ͅ

Postby Jalpha » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:48 am

I don't think the moderation was attempted by any specific person. There was a big carrot and moderation was the price for it. The devs refused and in so doing lost that carrot for good. Plenty of other carrots out there if you play the game of life correctly.

Way I see it the moderation efforts attempted by said individual (if we refer to the same person) were an attemot at wresting control of their games away from the devs. Everybody who was involved got burnt somehow. Big mess to untangle but all things are possible in time.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby dafels » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:05 pm

popfor wrote:Imagine how crazy of a game legacy would have been with half of the currently added content

I speculate that the only thing that Legacy needs is the QoL patches(like stockpiles, wheelbarrows and so on) that hafen currently has and legacy would been far more succesful. Even a upgrade on the 2d graphics(like fancy 2d light effects would improve the game alot). The graphics were just way more suited for this kind of game.

You can just look at the player count that is the only objective statistic of how good the game is, it has been 6 years of active development on Hafen and the playercount is not improving even with all the content that has been added. Legacy didn't see a single patch for years, no social media marketing and it had the same playercount as currently hafen has after 6 years...

I feel like most of the Hafen patches have been just a matter of checking the checkbox of having released something to keep the current players happy and nothing more.

Remember such a meme as the Inner Party that was destroying Hafen with their shitty ideas right from the start?
dafels

Postby DamJNeT » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:40 pm

I do not understand what do people want ?
The eternal paradox, just like music, you like that underground thing that no one knows, and you are proud to tell it, but if/when it gets known, then you spit on it saying it was better before.

Ima tell you what this game needs, if you want to cater to the masses :

Proper tutorial, and an in game up to date wiki.

No bullshit 3rd party java client.

A functional combat system, I mean let's be honest, this has to be the most complicated and obscure system, when in the end it's mostly "get enough stats/armor to spam punch/sting on w/e animal or die cause you are under-geared/stated (IF you don't cheese ~~~lol)". I understand wanting to be different from other games, but this has to be the worst of all the features. Just give me any generic mmo combat and I'll be happy, or if you want to be really fancy a moba style like LoL/albion. People will dip their toes without hesitation or the need to read essays about it. For a perma death game, it is atrociously designed.

Then of course, the cherry, remove perma death for good, except for people that want to. Remove execute from mobs. How are people supposed to test fighting if they don't know the chances they have to completely lose all progress. It's not like any roguelike / rust or whatever, we are talking dozens or 100's of hours gone for people that lose their character.

And better servers, when a few hundred people are connected, the constant freezes are smthg else... how many noobs get KO'd by that while hunting lol.

So yeah, I bet a lot of you know that would bring in more people, and most importantly have them stick around. But I also bet a lot of you are gonna be against it. "Make it easy to learn ?" "Give away the advantage I have to know the ins and outs of a shitty combat system ?" "Not allow me to murder and discourage, then troll the noobs ?"

See... paradox.

It is and will probably stay a niche game, with a niche population.
DamJNeT

Postby Jalpha » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:18 pm

Lolno. If the devs cared about money instead of creating a social experiment they would just create PvE servers.

They tried a better combat system in Salem and it didn't work because latency.

I just want to cheese bears from a boat. I am not convinced that is a good thing. I've become some kind of monster who only looks for the broken things in computer games. And life.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Regnurr » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:14 pm

jordancoles wrote:I would still be playing legacy if other people were still playing it. Without the competition there's not much to do or to grind for.

Yeah I would too. Legacy has its own charm, the nostalgia argument is a bit like telling old school runescape players the only reason they play it is nostalgia as well. When the original has consistently peaked with more players than the new Rs3 Environment has.

They're different games with fundamentally different aesthetics. I liked the sprite work of the new game, 3D can be okay, but sprites are a true novelty and can look very charming. The spritework of original haven might not have even been totally amazing at times, but it has it's moments. I only came back to Haven and Hearth after over ten years because of the memories of legacy and the aesthetics that it provided. The experience is unique, the new one is not the same.
Regnurr

Postby jordancoles » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 pm

Regnurr wrote:
jordancoles wrote:I would still be playing legacy if other people were still playing it. Without the competition there's not much to do or to grind for.

Yeah I would too. Legacy has its own charm, the nostalgia argument is a bit like telling old school runescape players the only reason they play it is nostalgia as well. When the original has consistently peaked with more players than the new Rs3 Environment has.

They're different games with fundamentally different aesthetics. I liked the sprite work of the new game, 3D can be okay, but sprites are a true novelty and can look very charming. The spritework of original haven might not have even been totally amazing at times, but it has it's moments. I only came back to Haven and Hearth after over ten years because of the memories of legacy and the aesthetics that it provided. The experience is unique, the new one is not the same.

I think a legacy reset would be a great thing for seatribe in general because you're right, it is a completely different game. Salem and Haven were running at the same time, so what is different here? The verification process would still rake in cash for the devs. The only argument is that it would split the playerbase, but there is a good chunk of the playerbase that isn't playing at all because Hafen isn't the game that they enjoyed.

Legacy reset with no changes? Let's goooo
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Southpaw » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:17 am

legacy has aged so badly and you guys are actually on crack or are planning to bot away a good third of the """gameplay"""

basic shit like stockpiles (house signs are not a better alternative), instant foraging (legacy has a timer for virtually everything under the sun, have fun collecting mussels for a minute of frustrating back and forth clicks) and "Why do I not have pushout?" have spoiled the majority of people out here in their nostalgia-glasses and they'd be rudely awakened when they're actually trying to play in earnest.

i think i'd be interested in virtually anything to try to shake up and awaken the playerbase but i don't think a legacy reset is The Play.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar