Eternal alpha

General discussion and socializing.

Eternal alpha

Postby Lyz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:42 am

Hi,

I was thinking about starting this game again if and when the world resets.

I'm just curious about one thing though. Why is this game in eternal alpha? Seems good enough for a full release to me. So much depth and, as far as I can recall, no game breaking bugs. Is it an issue with finding a publisher or funding?
Lyz

Re: Eternal alpha

Postby talon00302 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:58 am

I'm not sure how well this game would do without any sort of anticheat or in-game moderation team. I feel any sort of player retention would be destroyed (on a large scale) when they find out people can freely bot and abuse in game mechanics with (rarely) any consequences.
talon00302

Postby vatas » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:03 am

I think that, at least partially, the "eternal alpha" also acts as a disclaimer that massive changes can and will happen.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Lyz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:00 pm

talon00302 wrote:I'm not sure how well this game would do without any sort of anticheat or in-game moderation team. I feel any sort of player retention would be destroyed (on a large scale) when they find out people can freely bot and abuse in game mechanics with (rarely) any consequences.

this makes alot of sense. I recall being somewhat demoralized after releasing I've wasted time in my life putting in effort into this game when other guys were bounds ahead by using bots. I might reconsider jumping back in again lol
Lyz

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:21 pm

Lyz wrote:as far as I can recall, no game breaking bugs

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby talon00302 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:09 pm

Lyz wrote:this makes alot of sense. I recall being somewhat demoralized after releasing I've wasted time in my life putting in effort into this game when other guys were bounds ahead by using bots. I might reconsider jumping back in again lol

Now is actually a super good time to jump in and have some fun. If you aren't close to the ocean there's a very low chance you'll get messed with and can have a lot of fun. I'm doing just that right now.
talon00302

Postby Lyz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
Lyz wrote:as far as I can recall, no game breaking bugs

This doesn't happen at the start right?
Lyz

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Lyz wrote:This doesn't happen at the start right?

That shouldn't happen ever, yet it does

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:29 pm

Lyz wrote:I was thinking about starting this game again if and when the world resets.

Resets and the first two to four months after are the worst time to jump in and start again if you're not a regular and keeping up with updates or playing with friends/a village. Hermits and new players are more likely to have a good experience past the six month mark, I think.

Why is this game in eternal alpha?

I was trying to dig up some quotes from jorb or loftar last night. Nothing really jumped out as a good reason. Partly, I think it's a trope on how MMOs are never "done," they remain in the development cycle forever, expansions or not. Partly, this may or may not be intended for a commercial release. I don't think I've ever seen anything mentioned other than "personal project." Lastly...

Seems good enough for a full release to me. So much depth and, as far as I can recall, no game breaking bugs.

This is the biggest issue. There are several issues that would be considered "game breaking" bugs in just about any "released" game. That doesn't include all the various balance issues and such players mention.

Is it an issue with finding a publisher or funding?

Seatribe had a publisher at one point, but not for Haven. They were contracted to create a similar style game by Paradox you may have heard of--"Salem." That game has since been sold to a group called Mortal Moments. Beyond that, Haven was updated to the 3D version in 2015 and monetization added to the game with subscriptions and "verified accounts." Hat sales have since been added.

Mostly, jorb and loftar have a particular idea of what they want to do with the game, and that's what they're going to do whether folks like it or not. Though they do tend to listen to opinion for the most part, they are making the game they want, not what may or may not be popular. If you could call a game like EVE Online pop art, and a game like Dwarf Fortress fine art, then I relate Haven to folk art--appeals to some, is quaint and can be beautiful, but isn't always for everyone.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lyz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:07 pm

I can respect their wish to keep this as a personal project. But I hope jorb and loftar realise that there is no other survival game like this in the market that offers this much depth like HnH. To use your analogy, I'm sure many people out there that would appreciate folk art.
Last edited by Lyz on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lyz

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar