Preferred World Gen and Spawn?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Preferred World Gen and Spawn?

Postby lordgrunt » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:04 am

How about an idea, 1 big central continent with pvp enabled but scarce in resources and a bunch of smaller, but reasonably large non-pvp islands with good resources. central map could have higher quality wildlife, islands rich in amount and qualities of natural resources, water, clay, mines etc.
Some rules would have to be in place for non pvp areas, maybe large distances between claims? Surely, this point was discussed ad nauseum.
lordgrunt

Postby Tigrid » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:58 pm

Varying the quantity/quality of resource on a macro level like that could be all you need. If you're trying to avoid placing arbitrary and/or artificial rules into the game to combat PvP then don't - just create realistic geographic incentives. There's nothing even about the distribution of valuable materials IRL worldgen :D

You would expect those with more time-invested or more interest in PvP to gravitate towards richer resources. It wouldn't eliminate it but it may provide a more even distribution of PvP challenge. The aim would be that PvP is still very much a part of the game in the lower-tier areas but the chance of you being able to compete on a more even footing is much higher.
Tigrid

Postby loftar » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:18 pm

Apocoreo wrote:Love oceans

I'll just say that I agree. I love how the give they world some shape, and also the difference between fresh and salt water and the flora and fauna differences between them. That's not to say that I can't acknowledge weaknesses with them, but for my own game experience, oceans have been great.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby vatas » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:10 pm

I think there should be massive central continent where everyone spawns, and many smaller continents around it.

Whirlpools would remain as a way to opt-out of the central continent (not sure how players could be made more aware of them being safe method of fast travel when used correctly instead of some random hazard you need to avoid.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:29 pm

vatas wrote:I think there should be massive central continent where everyone spawns, and many smaller continents around it.

Whirlpools would remain as a way to opt-out of the central continent (not sure how players could be made more aware of them being safe method of fast travel when used correctly instead of some random hazard you need to avoid.)

an exp event could give a quick description of what the thing is going to do. doesn't need much text, could be some small images showing what's going on with a few words and maybe hover over the images to get more details. for example:
Fast travel to other [whirlpool.jpg], reduces [seaworthiness.jpg with info of a dmg range] and above that the normal exp event description, would like to see that for all the exp events ofc where it makes sense xd
----------------

I think I can't agree with a smaller map but I would 100% agree if the respawn mechanics were like in other mmos. right now if you would put many players in one place with the intention to fight over nodes etc the nodes wouldn't spawn while they fight over it which makes the whole thing very retarded xD I'd rather have a fight on the node and the big dick mammoth actually respawning so that there is an incentive to win the fight. kinda like worldbosses in wow classic just on a smaller scale ofc.
Also maybe it's possible to make a smallish map (with better respawn mechanics) and then open more continents/ make the map bigger in case player numbers go wild, also a cool way to introduce some new stuff

regarding spawning I really don't care as long as it's possible to have all basics covered where you spawn, it's so easy to travel later on, not because of moving but in case you need to go trade or fight or something. it's probably important to make it super easy to spawn with friends, for example create a party in the little tutorial world and then spawn all in one place or something. idk how exactly it works right now but building a beacon actually sucks and there will also be no charter stone near you when you are just starting xd
Pommfritz

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:55 pm

Ocean isnt the problem world size is.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby noindyfikator » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:58 pm

wonder-ass wrote:Ocean isnt the problem world size is.

this
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:02 pm

Maybe it's just that nobody noticed how OP they were pre-oceans, but I feel like they're the sole reason there's 20 boats at every fight and if you can't teleport to track people because you need to bring your own boat.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby bmjclark » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:10 pm

I like the current system a lot. Traveling between continents really isn't that annoying to do but you can essentially choose to isolate yourself to a lesser traveled continent which is nice
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Ferinex » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:51 pm

+1 to 'love oceans'
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar