Preferred World Gen and Spawn?

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Preferred World Gen and Spawn?

Postby Procne » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:12 pm

I like it when there are empty continents / islands to explore. In previous world I think the center continent was too small for everyone to spawn together, but in the current world it was ok. There was plenty of space in the spawn areas, and plenty of space to explore. World didn't feel too big thanks for thingwalls
Procne

Postby Hadehariast » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:01 pm

loftar wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:Love oceans

I'll just say that I agree. I love how the give they world some shape, and also the difference between fresh and salt water and the flora and fauna differences between them. That's not to say that I can't acknowledge weaknesses with them, but for my own game experience, oceans have been great.

I've also liked the oceans. I think the best generation I've seen so far with the oceans was the area in the southern half of last world-- several small continents relatively close together, some of which were separated by deep ocean waters, some of which were arranged like an archipelago. I enjoyed exploring and eventually settling in that area.
Hadehariast

Postby vnsmirnov » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 pm

All right. But the oceans are too small and narrow. I would like to sail from continent to continent for hours.

I would like that the northern resources would not meet in the south. Southern resources must be scarce in the north.
vnsmirnov

Postby jorb » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:22 pm

vnsmirnov wrote:I would like to sail from continent to continent for hours.

Tbqh, I doubt that. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby vatas » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:36 pm

Also, imagine traveling 90% of the way and then realizing your ship is breaking down with no shallows anywhere near to repair it, so you have to travel back to dock. Or worse, you have no dock and have to abandon the ship entirely by hearthing yourself only.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby vnsmirnov » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:55 pm

Reality is cruel to travelers :)
vnsmirnov

Postby Zirikana » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:06 pm

I just started playing yesterday after a break of... oh... since W5 I think? :P Yeah, it's been a while.

If you just spawn your character at random into the world with no HS, does the system try to place you next to other people, or is it just completely random?

I'm currently just schlepping around the southern border of the universe looking for a relatively unsullied spot to settle in and start actually playing the game again.
"Bein' a minotaur is a lot like bein' a regular human except moo" - J. Rowland
Zirikana

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:03 pm

Zirikana wrote:If you just spawn your character at random into the world with no HS, does the system try to place you next to other people, or is it just completely random?

It is completely random. And welcome back. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Sevenless » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:30 pm

I didn't really like the ratrace super packed central continent. I know pvpers love it, but I'm 95% sure it was annoying for everyone else. Whirlpools were a neat solution, but it was a pain trying to figure out if you were actually still on packed continent, or if you were seeing the first wave of refugees living near the edge of the whirlpool. It's a tough problem though, because of the huge population explosion being 10x bigger than late world. I don't think the concept was necessarily the problem, it's possible it could work if the main cont was 2x bigger than the world it was tested in maybe? I love oceans thematically, but I hate the "instant death" critters in it (and whales impact on the metagame). 20 minute long treks while worrying about orcas isn't fun. Being bored + alert has never been a combo I enjoy (looking at you EVE).

That's my brain barf on the topic.

Edit: I wouldn't mind if WPs had a visual queue if you were going to end up in another continent.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Procne » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:14 pm

Sevenless wrote:I didn't really like the ratrace super packed central continent. I know pvpers love it, but I'm 95% sure it was annoying for everyone else. Whirlpools were a neat solution, but it was a pain trying to figure out if you were actually still on packed continent, or if you were seeing the first wave of refugees living near the edge of the whirlpool. It's a tough problem though, because of the huge population explosion being 10x bigger than late world. I don't think the concept was necessarily the problem, it's possible it could work if the main cont was 2x bigger than the world it was tested in maybe?

Do you mean the current, or previous world?
Procne

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar