Russia invades Ukraine

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Russia invades Ukraine

Postby Myrddin » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:36 am

I am Russian. And as a Russian, I want to say that adequate people from Russia support the Ukrainian people. We have been suffering under Putin's rule for a long time (just look at our average salaries), we have a lot of problems in our country, but now it's not about that, but about what is happening now. I would like only peace, I have many relatives in Ukraine, very close ones, I have brothers, sisters, grandmothers in Zaporozhye and Kyiv. I cannot contact my brother from Odessa now. He doesn't get in touch. I have a family in Russia, here is my mother, the graves of my grandfathers, great-grandfather (who was forcibly transferred from Kyiv by the Soviet authorities to Siberia after he escaped from German captivity in 1943), father. I have a wife and child here. And I am horrified by what Putin did to the country's economy on the very first day of the war, even before the sanctions. We are actually returning to the realities of the 2008 crisis. A lot of things are going on, banks can't give people money because they don't have money. I see what is happening with my country and "thanks" to whom it is happening. I am afraid that because of the idiots of our compatriots, the entire population of Russia, including most of its adequate part, will become outcasts in the world, that we will find ourselves in the isolation of the USSR 2.0. I can see how it's already starting, even though it's only been two days. What happens next scares me. In any case, my country is just fucked, pardon the harshness, regardless of whether we win or lose this war in the end. You can say that we could fight back if we're not happy. Yes, we resisted, but all the leaders of the opposition are either dead or in prison. We have special units for dispersing and arresting protesters, such as the National Guard, established several years ago. And they have more funding from the state than the police. Forgive me if I was too emotional, I have not slept the last two days.
Myrddin

Postby Sevenless » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:41 am

If we are lucky the outcome of this horrific situation will be no more Putin and hopefully a path for Russia to rebuild itself for its people instead of for its oligarchs.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:51 pm

jorb wrote:Weird to think that there could be the odd old hearthlings on either side rn. Hoping for a swift return to peace, with minimal loss of blood and treasure.

Thoughts are with anyone directly affected by the affair.

Preemptively: Let's keep this thread civil and dignified.

The fact that you actually believe a war is happening is a pretty good indicator that this will be a civil discussion thread.

Sadly it's genuinely hard to tell what is real and what is propaganda right now on both sides of the fence.
Seeing a lot of fun reports that make it look like Russia is having a much more difficult time with things than I think anybody would have imaged.

Overall it feels like big daddy Putin is finally succumbing to his old age, not sure what the endgame is here.

Hope the Ukrainians send those kiddies running back to their side of the border asap so their mom's can stop worrying about them.
Zentetsuken

Postby eliminoid » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:01 pm

I got friends in Ukraine. Anyone who supports this war is my worst enemy.
Hi
eliminoid

Postby mvgulik » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:38 pm

> not sure what the endgame is here.

If Putin is not getting it his way, Scorched earth probably.
mvgulik

Postby lordgrunt » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:10 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
jorb wrote:Weird to think that there could be the odd old hearthlings on either side rn. Hoping for a swift return to peace, with minimal loss of blood and treasure.

Thoughts are with anyone directly affected by the affair.

Preemptively: Let's keep this thread civil and dignified.

The fact that you actually believe a war is happening is a pretty good indicator that this will be a civil discussion thread.

Sadly it's genuinely hard to tell what is real and what is propaganda right now on both sides of the fence.
Seeing a lot of fun reports that make it look like Russia is having a much more difficult time with things than I think anybody would have imaged.

Overall it feels like big daddy Putin is finally succumbing to his old age, not sure what the endgame is here.

Hope the Ukrainians send those kiddies running back to their side of the border asap so their mom's can stop worrying about them.

how dumb can you be not to realize which side is the rightreous one?
lordgrunt

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:36 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:how dumb can you be not to realize which side is the rightreous one?

You might have misunderstood something I said.

I have no doubts about who is the righteous side of this conflict and I would be incredibly shocked if anybody who wasn't an edgelord or a poorly educated Russian boomer was actually unironically pro-Russian.

My only point is that there are a lot of media outlets churning out false news right now. For the average person following along from uninvolved countries, it's pretty impossible to tell what is really happening in real time until it's confirmed 3-4 times by major, trusted sources.

That being said, there is a pretty significant, moral and meaningful difference between telling indoctrination level dangerous anti-truths and exaggerated hero fables.
Zentetsuken

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:41 pm

pawnchito wrote:I thought they outlawed lead paint in the US but it sounds like some of you managed to eat some as kids.

They did, back in the late 60s to early 70s. Still old paint in a lot of old houses that was never cleaned up. Let's not forget Flint, Michigan and similar cities. Lot of lead pipes in older cities, too. We're smart enough to ban lead in new builds, but cheap enough to not mandate complete removal of it from existing infrastructure. Fucking capitalists...

It's not surprising Trump and family are eating this up. It's out of this world but what can you expect in this fucked up timeline were made up as a prank doggie coins are worth more than government issued moneys.

Curious there's all this sanction talk but Biden won't even address actually sanctioning Putin himself.

Some people have been calling Trump and company Putin puppets since 2016...

And as far as sanctions discussions from the US, it's not being ignored. It's just not the "top news item." They'll more likely be lead by folks in the EU as Europeans will be the most hurt by sanctions against Russia, particularly in oil prices and grain. It's a huge political snakepit, and the economy is already in rough shape after two years of pandemic issues.

Zentetsuken wrote:That being said, there is a pretty significant, moral and meaningful difference between telling indoctrination level dangerous anti-truths and exaggerated hero fables.

I think too many of us are susceptible to the latter, and all too often it can be harder to spot the former, even well educated people. Appeals to emotion and patriotism work because we're still those lizard-brained idiots deep down inside, and we all want to belong to the hive, even if we loudly object to not wanting to being a part of it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby lordgrunt » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:40 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
Zentetsuken wrote:how dumb can you be not to realize which side is the rightreous one?

You might have misunderstood something I said.

I have no doubts about who is the righteous side of this conflict and I would be incredibly shocked if anybody who wasn't an edgelord or a poorly educated Russian boomer was actually unironically pro-Russian.

My only point is that there are a lot of media outlets churning out false news right now. For the average person following along from uninvolved countries, it's pretty impossible to tell what is really happening in real time until it's confirmed 3-4 times by major, trusted sources.

That being said, there is a pretty significant, moral and meaningful difference between telling indoctrination level dangerous anti-truths and exaggerated hero fables.

then why is it so hard to say.
say it.
rus is wrong.
putin is unhinged dangerours war criminal. say it. keep it consinstent
lordgrunt

Postby Jalpha » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:09 am

pawnchito wrote:
Jalpha wrote:Just like WW2 the West is almost wholly responsible for setting the stage for this to occur.
Putin declares war and invades another sovereign country.

I would prefer a military invasion of Australia by the USA instead of their surreptitious control over the nation of which I am a citizen. It sickens me that Australians would probably just bend over to allow marines to assfuck them while waving little USA flags. Brainwashed monkeys imo.

pawnchito wrote:The ones that will pay the highest price are the people..

On this we agree. However... The people made their choice and that choice was war. I respect their tenacity as senseless as it seems to me. Too many eastern Europeans are victims of western propoganda. I suspect Ukraine will retain its independence only with closer ties to Russia and an arguably healthier society than we suffer in the West. The best possible resolution is for Ukraine to attain cultural superiority over the West and the East. First they must submit to Russia.

If you didn't understand my reference to WW2 then you should do more research on the economic sanctions imposed on Germany post WW1. Why is history a wheel. It's supposed to be a spiral. Morons. Drowning in morons.

Trappin wrote:Russia already controls Moldova, it's called Transnistria.

Yes, and Transnistria is the best part of Moldova right now. Doubtful though that Russia wants to pay or can afford the cost of improving the whole of Moldova.

I haven't been yet but I plan to visit prior to my return to Australia. I have heard fascinating tales from my fellow travellers.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar