New Player Experience

General discussion and socializing.

Re: New Player Experience

Postby fairystyle » Fri May 13, 2022 4:50 pm

Well, serfing through forum you will not get the truthful image of actual community mood.
In any time 30-40% of these players who are online are noobies like you and will always try to help you and support. Same as majority of older players. Yeah there always will be % of people who are enjoying agressive and toxic behaviour to new players, but oh well, it is their way of seeing point of this game. I don't support it (I'd even say it's cringe). But until game will keep treating pvp and old experienced players like someone who always must be taken from in favor of imaginary newbies issues - they will extinct to the end without coming back to game at all. So in this ecology there just no equal enemies for noobkillers to get busy with instead of noobkilling and griefing 24/7. And lets be honest it's not some Sims, and not some social experiment how some people like to imagine, its about wild and very old times of barbarians and civilizatin craddle.

My personal advice - treat Haven as an extremely detailed and difficult survival game it is, where eat or be eaten. Death - is a new beginning and a lesson :roll:
Characters are dying here all the time and the best you can do is to take care of security measures for your base. Here is a great post about it https://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=72166
Don't trust random people, they can be conning you, never give up your location anywhere. And when you get killed, take a deep sigh and follow instructions about restoring some stats by ancestral shrine. You can try to use this discord https://discord.gg/fNjqFXBfWq for asking questions about the game and trading, because all the other channels are either dead or not new-players friendly or both.
fairystyle

Postby Sevenless » Fri May 13, 2022 6:07 pm

Seconding the forums not being accurate for the community at large.

Ever since realm chat and discord (both very new in terms of haven which is only a couple months younger than minecraft) came into existence a lot of the more casual/friendly players have preferred to use those. The friendly players stopped coming into the forum because the happier social bubble they can access was plenty for them. And if you're not burning with a need to correct something in the game, why go outside your social circles?

Plenty of us not playing but looking forward to a new world happy to check the forums and wait for word of mouth on world restart. Also plenty of assholes here who are screaming "DED GAEM" because they want a world reset and not because they're actually playing right now and sad with the recent lack of updates.

The one burning truth about haven though: the small percentage of the community that are assholes have a lot of power to make it miserable for the rest of the players. On forums or in game.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Pills » Fri May 13, 2022 7:11 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Here's a rough, probably incomplete/outdated map of where spooky people live.

I am very spooks.

For real though, ignore the people on the forum who are spoiting negativity about "dead game" etc. They don't represent the real community of this game. This is probably the best time in the worlds life cycle for you to play to be honest, so you can get accustomed to the game and its various mechanics. Enjoy your stay & try not to die
Pills

Postby Clemins » Fri May 13, 2022 7:42 pm

Pills wrote:For real though, ignore the people on the forum who are spoiting negativity about "dead game" etc. They don't represent the real community of this game. This is probably the best time in the worlds life cycle for you to play to be honest, so you can get accustomed to the game and its various mechanics. Enjoy your stay & try not to die

It really is the best time, in fact if you are interested definitely do it now, instead of the world reset, whenever that is... But like others have said, expect to die, mostly from your environment though (drowning, animals, cave-ins, starvation, etc.) But now since you are aware that these are possibilities, go into the game mentally prepared and you likely wont die as much as someone BRAND new. There are hostile players still playing as well, learning to PVP is something that is heavily underestimated in this game, or at the very least how to escape it. Be sure to study the combat guides posted by others people on previous pages!

Welcome and have fun!
Clemins

Postby delfer8 » Fri May 13, 2022 10:04 pm

Bro stay quiet and never give locations via forums, discord, or the client map system itself. Read the forum real guides about how to protect yourself and never build right near the sea, rivers or lakes, as it is a way to attract water riders who can make you a target easier if you live near water.

Slowly learn about the game, you have time, enjoy it and try to make veteran H&H friends carefuly not to get the multiple scammers and bullshit people who will try to get your hats, loot or break your base. If you have basic game questions i offer you my help and can guide you about basics with screenshots of examples and ways to do things like safe palisades, how to safe hunt different animals, wich equip to carry in many situations,... on discord.

Also if you meet ppl you want to play with be careful on red flags like if they ask you for "lend" your hats, your keys or even your account.

Good luck and pm me for example if you need help. Have a nice day.

PS: ignore persons like SnuggleSnail, as you will only get pain from them wich will just help their enjoyment at cost of your playtime and your sad experiences.
Be nice, the woods are aware of you.

W3 and 4 Hermitage
W5 Emberwood and Kirribilli, PANDEMONIUM
W6 MIRROR LAKE
W7 Tkearns village
W10 F&I
W12 BROLAND, Weasel's Blue Boar Inn, Grimmhold retirement
W13 Monke Spanish plot
W14 Kakariko village Druid
W15 Into the deep woods

Where are you Weasel!?!?
delfer8

Postby delfer8 » Fri May 13, 2022 10:07 pm

Pills wrote:For real though, ignore the people on the forum who are spoiting negativity about "dead game" etc. They don't represent the real community of this game. This is probably the best time in the worlds life cycle for you to play to be honest, so you can get accustomed to the game and its various mechanics. Enjoy your stay & try not to die

Also this is good, and many other people here gives nice advice to you and try to help. You just need to compare info sometimes, not believing the first some stranger sais and try to enjoy the good parts of the game and the forum.
Be nice, the woods are aware of you.

W3 and 4 Hermitage
W5 Emberwood and Kirribilli, PANDEMONIUM
W6 MIRROR LAKE
W7 Tkearns village
W10 F&I
W12 BROLAND, Weasel's Blue Boar Inn, Grimmhold retirement
W13 Monke Spanish plot
W14 Kakariko village Druid
W15 Into the deep woods

Where are you Weasel!?!?
delfer8

Postby DonVelD » Fri May 13, 2022 11:00 pm

delfer8 wrote:PS: ignore persons like SnuggleSnail, as you will only get pain from them wich will just help their enjoyment at cost of your playtime and your sad experiences.

He gave some solid info, although yeah I wouldn't trust anyone "bigger" in-game if I was a noob.

Also, a really good tip for new players, even though it seems obvious - don't act like an idiot, at least not in public lol. You might attract some attention, and even if you didn't give any information about yourself spooky people will search. Sometimes it's better to just not say anything.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Ferinex » Sat May 14, 2022 4:40 am

don't be fearful. sure, you stand no chance in some realms of combat, up against a botted, entrenched and hate-filled adversary who plays the game in a way fundamentally different from most, but at least die with dignity. Not sniveling and hatless like a submissive little weasel. The people you encounter ingame are not at all like the people you'll encounter out of game. The ones ingame are normies, friendly and joyful. The toxic elements lie out here in the surrounding shitcloud. To draw them to you ingame, you need only request their presence through one of many meta means.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby kiddoinc » Sat May 14, 2022 4:52 am

Ferinex wrote:babble

kiddoinc

Postby kwagam » Sat May 14, 2022 5:59 am

Is there any point of starting? I assume new world should start soon?
kwagam

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar