HArdcore pvp

General discussion and socializing.

Re: HArdcore pvp

Postby Archiplex » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:58 am

im not going to read this thread but i'm just going to say JSH purposefully has controversial takes for the sake of video popularity; he is a good critic but he often has very bad takes and doesn't always give a game it's fair due judgement. I really hate it when people parrot him religiously because his opinions are often presented as factual when they tend to be very tainted - looking over his "worst MMO over" series you'll often run into this with more modern games
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby DoctorCookie » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:19 pm

wonder-ass wrote:rust is basically hardcore pvp and its doing really well. the issue is mmo games dont know what the fuck they want to be there is so much pve content but the game is hardcore pvp? so all the pve nerds get slaughtered by the pvp nerds that dont give a shit about pve.

Rust is not massive. You can host your own server or play on servers with rules that you like. Same with Conan Exiles and many other similar games. I am not saying that full loot should be removed, but OP is right. There are no examples of long-term "thriving" single world mmo's with full loot open world no restriction pvp.

Obligatory: All those games you mentioned/gonna mention have/had safe zones or server options.
DoctorCookie

Postby Halbertz » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:32 pm

DoctorCookie wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:rust is basically hardcore pvp and its doing really well. the issue is mmo games dont know what the fuck they want to be there is so much pve content but the game is hardcore pvp? so all the pve nerds get slaughtered by the pvp nerds that dont give a shit about pve.

Rust is not massive. You can host your own server or play on servers with rules that you like. Same with Conan Exiles and many other similar games. I am not saying that full loot should be removed, but OP is right. There are no examples of long-term "thriving" single world mmo's with full loot open world no restriction pvp.

Obligatory: All those games you mentioned/gonna mention have/had safe zones or server options.

Eve online has no safe zones. One sided pvp will be imminently punished in high-secs, but this isn't really safe zone.
Halbertz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:45 pm

Individual rust servers have higher population than haven, and a lot of them don't have safe zones. The safe zones in most of the other examples given are just like a 5x5 box you can't do anything except chat/trade in... Which is something everybody wants in haven.

It's also kinda dumb to pretend visitor gates don't create safe zones anyway. AFKing inside a market in haven is a lot safer than AFKing at a trader in rust.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Potjeh » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:40 pm

All you can lose in Rust from getting killed while roaming is the gear set you're wearing, and you can get a new set in like half an hour. In Rust you can hop in a server, eoka a geared guy and be on even fighting level with anyone on the server within 15 min of joining. When you PvP in Rust it's actually fun and takes fairly little time. If you get raided in Rust, you can rebuild everything within a day.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:01 pm

Potjeh wrote:All you can lose in Rust from getting killed while roaming is the gear set you're wearing, and you can get a new set in like half an hour. In Rust you can hop in a server, eoka a geared guy and be on even fighting level with anyone on the server within 15 min of joining. When you PvP in Rust it's actually fun and takes fairly little time. If you get raided in Rust, you can rebuild everything within a day.

thats because rust knows exactly what it wants to be. established groups in severs can base wipe u with ease, mlrs the shit out of you or rocket u 4 fun. in haven the average hermit could be a REAL pain in the fucking ass if anyone wanted to be to factions and factions would need significant effort to get rid of them which is not the case at all in rust.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:20 pm

There are no open world pvp MMOs that are more successful than H&H (games with multiple server shards don't count) (games with any amount of safe zones don't count) (games that have any lower amount of time investment don't count) (games that have any new player protection don't count) (games that I don't play don't count)
DDDsDD999

Postby Jalpha » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:28 am

It would be difficult to find a rust server without safe zones. Actually removing them breaks a lot of vanilla features.

You can't compare the miniscule likelihood of being suicide ganked in eve hisec with an unsafe zone. It only happens in significant quantities to top tier mission runners. Practically, for most players, most of the time, hisec is totally safe.

Sure, even in classic wow you can be ganked in parts of ironforge or the town in silithis without consequences. Other towns too. Does that mean all safe zones are unsafe.

I dislike safe zones but I find myself using their services and I am glad of them at times.

I think rust is more popular because it's an fps with lower time investments required to participate in activities.

Really when you die in full loot you lose the time taken to collect materials and craft your inventory. Even in rust where it takes about ten hours to carebear your way to decent weapons this time investment is too much for a lot of people who do not log back into the same server on day two.

It is totally possible for a solo player to ruin a clans wipe in rust. The most powerful weapon in rust is the bag. If you don't understand that then you should go back to the beach and start again.

Eoka to full loot in 15mins is a meme. Maybe I play on more hardcore servers where the other players are older than twelve. You would spend more than 15mins looking for a base with somebody inside.

I will hit barrels, craft an xbow and start farming scrubs in monuments.

There's this kind of YouTube, Twitch, meme perception of how rust is meant to be played (and how it is actually played by people not streaming or recording) which misleads a lot of players.

It's cool when you meet someone else who gets it. I did it wrong myself for a long time.

TLDR; Safe zones are good for player interaction and pop even though I hate them. You guys are not very good at rust or eve.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby sMartins » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:25 pm

Haven and so on ... are not PVP games, on the same level wins who has more time, not good (for your life also). I play those not for PVP for sure ( I mean it's important that PVP is avaible, but not the scope of the game).

If you want competition and PVP play games designed for that.

I play War Thunder - Only Planes (best tactic shooter out there by far) and the Wargame series (RTS online, nothing better than that for pure competition).

Simply as that.

Bye
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:29 pm

Jalpha wrote:I play on more hardcore servers where the other players are older than twelve.

Doubt
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar