Can someone with almost no time play now?

General discussion and socializing.

Can someone with almost no time play now?

Postby fuinharlz » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:16 pm

Hello. I've played Haven sometime ago (last time I really played was arround 2019,but I started on the 2d, before hafen). Back there I had the time to play without many worries.But since then, I got back to my graduation and I married. So now, besides working a 40h week, 8h day shift, I study at night and have a house totake care, minimizing my gaming time to arround 2-3 hours a day, and not everyday anymore (mostly because my wife doesn't likegames, think games are a childish thing and thinks I shouldn't use my computer at all, but is okay watching korean teenager doramas).

That said, would it be enjoyable for someone on that situation to play, be able to claim land, make its own plot of land, or would I just be an easy target and should avoid getting back to haven at all on this situation?

I really enjoy haven, even on the pvp aspect of it, but knowing that I can just be sieged by a large group on the time I'm off working/studying/cooking/doing dishes/cleaning the house/tryingto be a good husband/sleeping kinds of takes me away from haven, but I really want to get back.
fuinharlz

Re: Can someone with almost no time play now?

Postby Mashadar » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:27 pm

As soon as you have a palisade, you're fairly safe. No one will bother sieging a small base.
As long as you don't have high aspirations of what you want to achieve, 2-3 hours per day is enough.
Especially since a lot of things in the game can progress without your input (plants/trees growing, skins drying, drinks fermenting etc.).
Mashadar

Postby Procne » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:56 pm

Now, with the world being fairly old and dead noone should bother you, especially if you put your stuff on a claim.
However, it's being predicted that the reset might come soon (not confirmed, no date), so your progress might get whiped in a few weeks / months.

But yeah, I think game is fine to play in a casual manner. You might have some issues with stuff like taming and steelmaking if you fail to login at least once a day, but worst case scenario you can buy some steel / animals from other players.

Since you are married, though, try inviting your significant other and build a place together, it can be fun :)
Procne

Postby vatas » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:22 pm

As long as you follow this guide, nobody should bother with siege.

(It's the same one as the middle link in my signature, putting it in main message because I think there's an user option to disable all signatures. Just in case.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Dondy » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:26 pm

Absolutely. You'll never be a high rank player but you can have a lot of fun. One minigame I enjoy is to create an alt in the wilderness and allocate them something like twenty minutes a day, no more, and then see how far they get and how long it takes them. Only playing for twenty minutes daily doesn't increase your risks of being griefed or killed. As far as I can see, it tends to lower them because you fly so far under the radar. There are still people who will trash a tiny settlement, but the number of people who will do it because they actually want your leather has gone down to imperceptible. You're never going to reach the lowest level of the mines before the world resets unless something goes very, very wrong, but you can still have a great deal of fun.
Dondy

Postby Dondy » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:35 pm

Keep in mind that players who siege want to see your tears and get plunder. It is absolutely not worth it to them to spend 48 hours getting through two rings of pali to find what turns out to be an apparently abandoned settlement with crops and ore up to q40. For them it would be like mining q30 stone for crafting using a q200 pickaxe - they are going to go somewhere else where the q is better. Besieging you can easily be made to seem a pointless waste of time. Of course if you leave yourself open, they'll take advantage. But if your security is decent for your level there are too many better prospects for their time and energy.
Dondy

Return to The Inn of Brodgar