Doomsday Stream

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Doomsday Stream

Postby WowGain » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:19 am

shubla wrote:Opt in with warning is sufficient.

Odd......
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Harthel » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:22 am

They definitely should get rid of chat. No UI elements. And definitely add a delay, something like 6-24 hours? Possibly an opt-in feature. I would be fun to

Early world is arguably the most problematic time for this type of stream but is also the most exciting time. I think the last few worlds have been around 1,000 concurrent players in the first couple weeks. Would be a lot of people to jump around to. It's not too much different than just making new characters and walking around randomly? Besides seeing inside claims and such. Maybe the stream should only show people with the Murder skill? :twisted: I'm not sure what kind of parameters are possible. Maybe only show people in a certain continent? The opt-in continent of Mordor where the eye sees all?

I think it would be a fun experiment to do this type of stream for the entirety of a world, fuck it. I do think some good things could come from it but I'm 100% sure it would end over people being problematic and paving slurs in their base or something. The game has a steep learning curve and the need for secrecy compounds that issue, I think streaming could be a simple solution to those problems as well as maybe attract some new players. But yeah the concept needs some tweaking.

It's also kinda fun to know that *tens* of people could be watching you get run down by a bear.
Harthel

Postby shubla » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:15 am

Delay doesn't help. It will still expose details about places such ash ow active people are there and what they are doing, where they go often etc.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby TwentyThree » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:36 pm

shubla wrote:Delay doesn't help. It will still expose details about places such ash ow active people are there and what they are doing, where they go often etc.

Yeah, it's a big problem. Only way I see it being good is just a buildable magic troll eye, to jump around randomly with, just like regular troll eyes. That way people can just showcase stuff they want to showcase, e.g. a cool pave job, a market, etc
TwentyThree

Postby Clemins » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:40 pm

shubla wrote:Delay doesn't help. It will still expose details about places such ash ow active people are there and what they are doing, where they go often etc.

That sounds familiar
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=70170
Clemins

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:41 pm

it's not going to happen

and if it does happen, it will take less than a week for people to organize alts standing beside racial slurs and symbols and the twitch stream will be reported and taken down

it's just a dumb idea
Zentetsuken

Postby The_Lich_King » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:07 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:it's not going to happen

and if it does happen, it will take less than a week for people to organize alts standing beside racial slurs and symbols and the twitch stream will be reported and taken down

it's just a dumb idea

This^

Even if this doesn't lead to griefing it will just lead to mass trolling.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby kirion » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:26 am

No thanks.

It's a fun gimmick for the end of a world, but as pointed out it's going to be abused to hell.
kirion

Postby Harthel » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:09 pm

TwentyThree wrote:

Yeah, it's a big problem. Only way I see it being good is just a buildable magic troll eye, to jump around randomly with, just like regular troll eyes. That way people can just showcase stuff they want to showcase, e.g. a cool pave job, a market, etc

I like that idea, a buildable item. Perhaps make it only buildable on claim, only 1 per claim. Either to opt in or out? I do like seeing people out and about as well though, interacting with the world.

Yes people could try to abuse it, and moderation in this game is practically non-existent. I'm not dumb enough to suggest *no one* would try to be overly malicious to spite the stream. I can probably even correctly predict who would be the one to do as such, just to prove it could be done. As for people standing next to slurs and hate symbols, I really don't see the problem. What stops people from doing it right now? I only know you can't have an unmoderated stream, not that slurs and such can't appear. You have to be able to react and say "thats bad". If the Twitch stream gets banned then so be it? I don't think it's a serious channel or anyone's personal Twitch anyway. I'd rather see for myself than just automatically expect the worst. If it gets banned for racism then idk maybe that says something. It would be an ongoing opportunity for the community to police themselves. Maybe those obsessed with doing CSI on a 30 second clip of someones location can go after those that make alts to put slurs on the stream. I think it's something that could also work at the beginning of a new world where theres hundreds of people to jump around to.

To me, the biggest issue is that I don't think J+L would be interested in spending time reviewing or intervening in any of this stuff. Have they ever handed out a permaban? (in HnH anyway, I think he might have banned people in Salem)

Idk, I just weirdly think this stream is the most interesting/good thing to happen to this game in a while. I think it really opens the game up, which has such a steep learning curve.
Harthel

Postby MightySheep » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:26 pm

+1 permanent stream would be fun

just turn off chat and the rest of the concerns is just worrying too much about nothing
MightySheep

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar