Queen Elizabeth II - RIP

General discussion and socializing.

Queen Elizabeth II - RIP

Postby MightySheep » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:29 pm

Last edited by MightySheep on Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MightySheep

Re: Queen Elizabeth II - RIP

Postby MightySheep » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:39 pm

MightySheep

Postby MightySheep » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:06 pm

MightySheep

Postby Mysia » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:13 pm

i liked her movie on netflix. i remember something about them believing that the royalty should be like a rolemodel for the whole country and she took it very seriously
Mysia

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:31 pm

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby overtyped » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:12 am

I don't really get the idea of openly celebrating an oligarch.

Shouldn't only those who actually achieve great things by their own merit be put on a pedestal? She's a rolemodel? That's curious, what kind of example does it set when the only accomplishment that led her to becoming a royal was being born as one?
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Valgar » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:05 am

Get the achievement "Live to 96 years old"
Valgar

Postby Amanda44 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:41 pm

Whether or not you agree with the monarchy she devoted her life to serving not only our own country but as the head of the commonwealth. She has travelled the world meeting with heads of state promoting and bringing stability to our nation.
Just because her authority was reduced does not mean she wasn't important. Although she didn't have a lot of 'power' in relation to governing the country she was still a much loved, admired and respected figurehead worldwide. She worked tirelessly up until 3 days ago when she met with Liz Truss to ask her to form a new government, at 96!
Losing her is a huge loss for our country and the end of an era in more ways than one.

R.I.P.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby overtyped » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:47 am

Amanda44 wrote:Whether or not you agree with the monarchy she devoted her life to serving not only our own country but as the head of the commonwealth. She has travelled the world meeting with heads of state promoting and bringing stability to our nation.
Just because her authority was reduced does not mean she wasn't important. Although she didn't have a lot of 'power' in relation to governing the country she was still a much loved, admired and respected figurehead worldwide. She worked tirelessly up until 3 days ago when she met with Liz Truss to ask her to form a new government, at 96!
Losing her is a huge loss for our country and the end of an era in more ways than one.

R.I.P.

Does it not make you the slightest bit uncomfortable that someone is born with power over you without earning it?

The way (including every king/queen of England) justified their rule was declaring that they (the royal family) were all divinely ordained and came straight from god. The divine right of kings as it were. Essentially the commoners are lied to, and the whole idea of royalty is built on that lie. So, do you also like the idea that a family line of pathological liars lording over you? Or do you also buy into the laugh that royalty are all chosen by god, and are born better than you?

Are you going to defend them and say that they only lied to all of you for hundreds of years because it was the easiest route to suppress the commoners like yourself and therefore it was justified?

Their shit does not smell like roses either by the way.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Amanda44 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:53 am

I'm afraid I don't see it in the same way you do. As previously stated, the monarchy has changed a lot since the 17th century, they no longer hold any real power. Nowadays, in this country at least, the monarchy is more a figurehead and representative of the country, in that regard I think she has done a great job and is very much respected, worldwide.

The power here is held by the government, who may have earned it but don't necessarily deserve it and when it comes to being pathological liars, well, I think that's true of the majority of politicians, worldwide. :)

There are many people who have 'direct' power over you as you go through life, starting with your parents ... I'm just grateful that so far in life those that have had direct power over me, from parents, teachers, bosses, constabulary etc have made it a pleasant experience and I've not fallen foul of them. ;)

You've changed your wording slightly whilst I was typing ... but, my answer remains the same. In the future there may be a vote to remove the monarchy, I'm not gong to say which way I'd vote, but whilst there is one they are the least of my concerns when it comes to ppl who have real power and the fact still remains, imo, that she did a very good job in representing us on the worldwide stage, a much better one than the majority of prime minsters we've had during her reign.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar