winter

General discussion and socializing.

Re: winter

Postby displaced » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:45 pm

Halbertz wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Very curious to see what jorb/loftar meant by "changing their views on winter".

I think a lot of the issues winter has can be fixed. But the big one is icing the rivers, water movement is so critical to the game. As much as I love zipping across a lake on a sled, I don't think water icing over is healthy for the game :/

Behold! Sleddja:

That's kinda amazing.
displaced

Postby Procne » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:50 pm

Add giant spider legs so that it can move over cliffs as well
Procne

Postby DoctorCookie » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:17 pm

Population tracker posted by the OP shows low connections in the 400's over the past day. Last weeks lows were in the 500's. Expanding the the tracker to a month and it looks like normal Haven steady decline. Next month we will see lows in the 200's and calls for a reset. You may or may not like winter, I am neutral on it, but it is not what is killing the population.
DoctorCookie

Postby Zampfeo » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:30 pm

vatas wrote:Big question is, how many people come back when spring hits, or do they use this opportunity to go "it was a nice run, cya next world"?

Winter comes during a time when burnout peaks for most non-hardcore players. It's a convenient excuse to quit.

Lurux wrote:So winter gives to much disadvantages and not enough advantages

Pretty much this. There's nothing fun about winter. The only thing worth gathering are whirling snowflakes and they're boring as fuck to collect.

I don't think winter should be removed. It should just be tweaked to actually be fun.

*Replace crop fallowing with crops going dormant and not growing. Fallowing is just an unnecessary. "for most people unironically planning around seasonality in a video game and feeling obligated to do stuff within a certain time-frame low key kinda gay?"
*Something for farmers to do that doesn't involve an absurdly expensive building that's only useful for 5 irl days. Maybe some winter-exclusive craft or foragable softcapped by farming. Yule goats?
*Slightly reduce the speed of whirling snowflakes so it doesn't take a whole damn minute to chase one on a kicksled
*Equipable icebreakers on knarrs and snekks
*Either have chantrelles and yellowfeet continue to spawn in reduced amounts or buff snowtops
*Bears. Either reduced spawns or spawns in L1 caves
*Yule-related stuff. Yule logs, Yule ham, etc.

Edit:
*Remove snow from the minimap so winter doesn't shit up our maps
Last edited by Zampfeo on Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zampfeo

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:35 pm

I like fallowing because it gives me an excuse to completely rearrange my farm if I want to, by removing the growth time I'd otherwise be wasting.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby telum12 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:39 pm

Mysia wrote:
MightySheep wrote:
Mysia wrote:do us all a favour and join the quitters

u rly hold a grudge lol just cuz u got shit on, im surprised you havent quit yet or did you move somewhere else

hate to break it to you kid but i'm not who you think I am. Haven't been killed by another player or even been in pvp since Ainran killed me like 6 years ago

all i need to do is read your posts to realize i don't like you

pokimane on a banner? that shit better be some next level trolling. its like xtra cringe when the pvp badboys are irl faggots

God you're cringe
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby dagrimreefah » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:58 pm

Zampfeo wrote:Winter comes during a time when burnout peaks for most non-hardcore players. It's a convenient excuse to quit.

Hit the nail on the head.
dagrimreefah

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Zampfeo wrote:I don't think winter should be removed. It should just be tweaked to actually be fun.

*Replace crop fallowing with crops going dormant and not growing. Fallowing is just an unnecessary. "for most people unironically planning around seasonality in a video game and feeling obligated to do stuff within a certain time-frame low key kinda gay?"
*Something for farmers to do that doesn't involve an absurdly expensive building that's only useful for 5 irl days. Maybe some winter-exclusive craft or foragable softcapped by farming. Yule goats?
*Slightly reduce the speed of whirling snowflakes so it doesn't take a whole damn minute to chase one on a kicksled
*Equipable icebreakers on knarrs and snekks
*Either have chantrelles and yellowfeet continue to spawn in reduced amounts or buff snowtops
*Bears. Either reduced spawns or spawns in L1 caves
*Yule-related stuff. Yule logs, Yule ham, etc.

Edit:
*Remove snow from the minimap so winter doesn't shit up our maps

tbh, I'm not a regular player and I don't think I should speak for them, but generally I suspect the worst part about winter for most is that people just wanna play the game when they wanna play the game, and they wanna do w/e they wanna do. This game has a big habit of telling you that you can't play the game how you want unless XYZ condition is met, which winter exemplifies perfectly. Just let people play the sandbox like a sandbox.

For the even slightly PVP orientated crowd the worst part is definitely sleds/skiis. They are ABSURDLY broken and unfair, to the point where even though I've won my last ~10 snow fights, I would rather be playing with nVidia crash every fight than fighting on snow. Unironically, it's like they were designed specifically to be awful.

Winter is never going to be fixed, though. You guys need to stop coping. Jorbtar is going to sunked cost fallacy that shit right into the ground, same as oceans and realms. Just laugh at the retards pretending the player population being -150 what it was the day prior to snow is just a coincidence.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Potjeh » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:07 pm

I may be in minority here, but I'm not bothered by lack of farming, iced rivers or hibernating bears. What really makes me hate winter is all the snow making my eyes hurt, and constant wind forcing me to turn off ambient sounds.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:15 pm

This is the only time I will ever agree with you, Potjeh. Winter (like oceans) is very boring to look at, even at its best - and it's usually not at its best
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar