Radical Gameplay Loop Change

General discussion and socializing.

Radical Gameplay Loop Change

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:24 am

Every 9 weeks, a storm triggering a great flood starts to rip the world asunder, finishing this task after one additional week. Gentle whirlpools and wild whirlpools form in all sorts of bodies of water over this week.

If you go through a gentle whirlpool, your ship and anything within it appear in a paradise, a parallel server where the game never wipes, except in cases of divine intervention. Wild whirlpools infrequently appear here.

If you go through a wild whirlpool, you wash ashore naked, without belongings, in a new and untouched world where, after 9 weeks, a great storm will appear anew. Your character has all stats reset to fresh and your spiritual connection to previous ancestors are severed... But you retain memories of your previous credos.

Also, you can only get one credo per world (quarryman no longer relies on forager.) Also, "fresh" worlds have new rare resources that do not exist in the permanent, never-ending, paradise... They also tend to be smaller archipelagos with islands carrying new sorts of dangerous threats both above and below ground. Both old and new environmental obstacles are more likely to end your life in these dangerous lands.
Robben_DuMarsch

Re: Radical Gameplay Loop Change

Postby Sevenless » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:58 pm

Why would you make a non-wiping server when haven is notorious for lacking a proper endgame.

Also wouldn't anyone on that server pretty much be freeloading? The % of players who sub drops in the late game when you have large inventories and don't need the character progression as much (or at all, depending what the character does).

Last comment: Limiting people to 1 credo per 2 months is brutal for new players when many credos are considered mandatory for gameplay at this point.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:45 pm

Then make it have an endgame, by patching one in over time.
Right now we have worlds that go on too long, and a goal to make worlds last forever.
While the devs work on the endgame at their own pace, there will be a world to try it out in earnest.
For those that want the early game experience, they'll have it, and it'll feed into the endgame loop of the "main" server.

I've no strong opinions on the credo issue. Everyone would start anew, as this would be a future world implementation. To the extent that it'd create too much of a gap between veteran players and new ones, perhaps, and perhaps that isn't a bad thing or perhaps it is and should then be scrapped.... or perhaps it'd be fine to just balance it in some way.

As to the freeloading issue: I imagine most players would maintain characters on both servers to some extent, unless they strongly preferred only one style of play.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby sMartins » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:08 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote: a storm triggering a great flood starts to rip the world asunder

This would probably be the most difficult part, otherwise they would have already adopted something like this every end of the world.
I think the water is just a texture, nothing more, how do you figure the end of the world? Maybe it's more possible a layer of ash, like it's snow, dead trees and no more resources, then for me no Whirlpools, you die and a new cycle begins.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Oddity » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:32 pm

Sevenless wrote:Last comment: Limiting people to 1 credo per 2 months is brutal for new players when many credos are considered mandatory for gameplay at this point.

Solution: nerf credos :twisted:
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:43 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:Then make it have an endgame, by patching one in over time.

That's kind of a ridiculous statement. You suggest a massive change to the game without actually addressing the core problem with the game. Why try to fix what isn't broken, while hand waiving the real problem?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:32 pm

Sevenless wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:Then make it have an endgame, by patching one in over time.

That's kind of a ridiculous statement. You suggest a massive change to the game without actually addressing the core problem with the game. Why try to fix what isn't broken, while hand waiving the real problem?

I'm not sure designing and adding a feature filled "end-game" is as low hanging a fruit as running two additional, smaller, servers parallel.

They have content spiraling and added worldwide conquest and territory control as an "end-game," alongside general emergent gameplay from the sandbox.

To be fair though I've got no idea what you mean by adding a "proper end game" so it's possible you mean something comparatively easy to design and implement that I'm overlooking.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby WowGain » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:30 pm

this is retarded

literally just get better at the game
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain