low 3rd party support

General discussion and socializing.

low 3rd party support

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:22 am

• No public map for the first time since 2011
  • No PVP viable public clients (since 2019)
  • No public food/recipe services (again)
  • All major markets pretty much dead (again)
  • No significant public monuments/cool shit built this world except 1 market (again)
  • Zero(?) globally significant events after the first 2 weeks of the world

Every time I read an update I can't help but think about how relevant these things are compared to the content being added to the game.

"Remember in world 11 when Ardennes client was unmaintained for a single week and the game lost like 30-40% of its playerbase until he fixed it a week later? Well, in addition to Ards all but one other public client is dead now and I don't see this as a problem"

"You know how food's FEPs are basically RNG with probably billions of variations that people only even vaguely get a handle on because of crowd-sourced third party sites? Well they're down now, so we added another recipe with a few million variations!"

"Wow somebody made a market after 6 months that a small minority of the player-base even visit a single time. I will prioritize reworking realms the nth time for the 1% of the playerbase who interacts with realms, even though none of them like realms over fixing this, because I can't take away the market builder's hustle. (Even though practically every market builder has hated building/maintaining a market)"
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Re: low 3rd party support

Postby Fostik » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:28 am

I mean, it's just another indie game that died because devs continuously did bad choices in game development for years.
All we can do is to bear with it and find another promising projects.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:21 pm

Bro, loftar' still hasn't dropped the support for the old render, because people would still rather use the ardennes old render bootleg of a bootleg of a bootleg of a bootleg, than the not-even-a-drink-hotkey-vanilla-client.
Three. years. later.

Anyway yeah, good luck with the devs reading this and doing something about it lmao

Embrace the "pvp for 2 months then quit" playstyle and come back to this game every wipe.
That thing they say about aiming to make the game never require a wipe, that ain't ever happening. At least not as long as listening to the playerbase is not part of the plan.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:55 pm

Nightdawg wrote:Anyway yeah, good luck with the devs reading this and doing something about it lmao

Not rly tryna be constructive. I mean this in the nicest way possible but some of Jorbtar's decision making/lines of reasoning are such surreal comedy it's kinda fun to think about when you're not overly invested.

Like, remember that time they were so invested in having convoluted math for no reason they made it so having than 10 constitution made you weaker?
Or they time they made it so having more UA made you weaker?
Or that time they made the subscription model pay per hours played? "Lmao you getting sieged and ran out of hours? Better pay up, kid"?
Or that time they let horses be mandatory in combat for years, decided that was dogshit, nerfed it with rawhide... Then added sleds to be exactly the same as horses?
Or that time they let bow combat exist in this state *points at practically any time period in haven*?
Or they time they obfuscated the shit out of the way questing worked, then got assmad when players realized it was OP like anybody would have within 2 minutes if it wasn't intentionally convoluted?
Or that time they added time-gates to mineholes, but instead of just being a global countdown you had to discover sand + purchase mining + notice the new recipe + actually build it immediately on new world or your group just gets fucked for days on every meaningful metric?
I could literally go on for pages

It's kinda cringe to sit here and play armchair developer, I bet this shit is hard hell to really get right... But holy crap that excuse can only go so far. So many of these, even without hindsight, are genuinely hilarious.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:18 pm

This one about the mystic exp cost reduction is my current favorite lmfao
viewtopic.php?p=913653#p913653

Sevenless wrote:20000/1.1 -> 18181.8

Which would mean that a 100% exp cost reduction, by jorbtar's wording, would mean that instead of 20k, it costs 10k.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:49 pm

everything will turn around next tuesday guys just wait
Zentetsuken

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:34 pm

The fixes to make this game good are so easy too, literally just viewtopic.php?f=48&t=74088 and viewtopic.php?f=48&t=74094
DDDsDD999

Postby HarryDresden » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:12 pm

I wonder just how much the consequences of tokens being introduced stagnated the markets. Besides the general lack of interest in building and maintaining them.

Hoggers place looks really nice but it's mostly empty. Whatever is full of stagnant stalls, some of them are maintained and updated, but then there's shit that just sits there forever.
Yes, I am a Wizard.
loftar wrote: bear fruit is not something I can predict,.

Beborn Beton wrote: "Don't Worry, They Won't Find My Body, I Want You To Know I Found Peace In Another World."
HarryDresden

Postby ItsFunToLose » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:23 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
  • No public map for the first time since 2011
  • No PVP viable public clients (since 2019)
  • No public food/recipe services (again)
  • All major markets pretty much dead (again)
  • No significant public monuments/cool shit built this world except 1 market (again)
  • Zero(?) globally significant events after the first 2 weeks of the world

Every time I read an update I can't help but think about how relevant these things are compared to the content being added to the game.

"Remember in world 11 when Ardennes client was unmaintained for a single week and the game lost like 30-40% of its playerbase until he fixed it a week later? Well, in addition to Ards all but one other public client is dead now and I don't see this as a problem"

"You know how food's FEPs are basically RNG with probably billions of variations that people only even vaguely get a handle on because of crowd-sourced third party sites? Well they're down now, so we added another recipe with a few million variations!"

"Wow somebody made a market after 6 months that a small minority of the player-base even visit a single time. I will prioritize reworking realms the nth time for the 1% of the playerbase who interacts with realms, even though none of them like realms over fixing this, because I can't take away the market builder's hustle. (Even though practically every market builder has hated building/maintaining a market)"

The consequences of being you.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:23 am

so trueeeee jorbtar's influence on the game is negligible compared to mine
SnuggleSnail

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar