Wild plants -- solid idea ruined by the implementation

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Wild plants -- solid idea ruined by the implementation

Postby Rebs » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:47 pm

It does seem a bit shit if the wild crops are only for slowing down the farming at the start. seems like a lot of effort to push us back for 1 week. Assuming they don't respawn and I do believe that this is the case.
Rebs

Postby AlexNT » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:17 pm

Reiber wrote:in general the only wildcrop that is collected to extinction is corngrass, as you get the straw from them right away,
stringrass only drop fibres after you have planted it yourself, so people just took 1-2 fields of it and planted the rest, wich allows you to expand your vclaim considerably faster than previous,
the other crops have been next to useless, aside from eventually domesticating itself, wild tubers make your stake and tubers worse than just eating the meat grilled,

now that real crops have been domesticated, and www spawns abundantly the wild crops are basically obsolete, even if you are behind now, or just started, you can just skip the wildcrop stage

Exactly. A new game system, that only remained relevant for a bit less than a week, to never be relevant again.

Corn grass -- OP (essentially a progression cheat for the few who managed to beat others to it). String grass -- ok (actually, alao OP, but in a more subtle way). Everything else -- ridiculous crap.

The whole thing screams "wasted potential".
Last edited by AlexNT on Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexNT

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:19 pm

To contextualize this thread, did you or did you not get corn grass?
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby AlexNT » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:22 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:To contextualize this thread, did you or did you not get corn grass?

Take a guess?

I only ever saw something like 5 plants once on the first day (I guess whoever found it first ran out of inventory and decided to not be a complete dick.)
AlexNT

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:40 pm

AlexNT wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:To contextualize this thread, did you or did you not get corn grass?

Take a guess?

I just don't like to make assumptions, I personally would make a thread like this if I felt I got a massive retarded advantage somehow. I feel like the advantage imparted by getting early straw is not that huge compared to the baseline advantage that most "competitive" groups have over the average player, anyway. And this whole thing only matters if you're dreaming of being "competitive," right? It doesn't feel that different to me, ultimately, from WWW RNG, where people can (far more arbitarily, I think,) be denied fibres or straw or tubers or etc.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Reiber » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:09 pm

AlexNT wrote:Exactly. A new game system, that only remained relevant for a bit less than a week, to never be relevant again.

Corn grass -- OP (essentially a progression cheat for the few who managed to beat others to it). String grass -- ok (actually, alao OP, but in a more subtle way). Everything else -- ridiculous crap.

The whole thing screams "wasted potential".

is it thoug? it adds to the map, especially before you can see forageables and strictly speaking there are countless systems that just exist to render themself obsolete,

foraging as an whole becomes increasingly irrelevant as the world progresses, you just hit the detection cap, and aside from it being neat to find an glimmermoss in your mine, crafted curios just outscale foraging at some point, food can be more easily farmed and hunted, and bluebells just get grown so much they are basically free,

half of the stuff i havent seen an week ago i wouldnt pick up now,

even gold looses its value at some point,
Reiber

Postby AlexNT » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:30 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:I personally would make a thread like this if I felt I got a massive retarded advantage somehow. I feel like the advantage imparted by getting early straw is not that huge compared to the baseline advantage that most "competitive" groups have over the average player, anyway. And this whole thing only matters if you're dreaming of being "competitive," right? It doesn't feel that different to me, ultimately, from WWW RNG, where people can (far more arbitarily, I think,) be denied fibres or straw or tubers or etc.

I think this is the point where you tell us if you yourself managed to get any?

We have multiple accounts at this point of these being scooped up in a matter of hours (unlike every other wild plant). If they were so trivial as you're trying to represent, what was the rush? This is day one localized resources, all over again.

PS: We harvested wwws in hundreds in previous worlds. There was largely no randomness. Only a matter of getting enough flax/hemp in time for village flags.
AlexNT

Postby Joe69 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:05 pm

Helped me get to know the people who moved in round me as anyone who asked for corngrass ect got some seeds.
I fully look forward to jorb and loftar fixing several mechanics and bringing back updates, because at that time you chuckleheads are going to be more marginalized than lawn furniture in winter.
Joe69

Postby Reiber » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:34 am

AlexNT wrote:I think this is the point where you tell us if you yourself managed to get any?

We have multiple accounts at this point of these being scooped up in a matter of hours (unlike every other wild plant). If they were so trivial as you're trying to represent, what was the rush? This is day one localized resources, all over again.

PS: We harvested wwws in hundreds in previous worlds. There was largely no randomness. Only a matter of getting enough flax/hemp in time for village flags.

it is in no way as impactful as you claim, we have many neigbours, but there where still occasional fields of corngrass on day 3. , stringrass makes protecting your village early far more easy than it ever has been, and there are still fields of that everywhere,
besides with the changes to www they eliminated the crop problem basically, as as soon as your local faction /villages get some sort of crop, you are basically guaranteed to get it from seeds, even approaching their quality,

and in the past worlds that was an real problem, w14 we settled on an continent without hemp, pepper and cucumber, and it took us multiple cross whirlpool trips to get hemp, without networking and knowing guys 2 continents over we wouldnt have gotten cucumber in the first month,
and oure banner building really suffered under not getting the seeds right away,

stop whining that people that settled and explored the world day 1 got behives an week before you, allowing them to grow useless wildcrops faster, just gather www untill you get 50 wheat seeds, and you will have beehives speeding up real crops 1-2 days after the guys that domesticated them in your area.
up untill 3 days ago, the beehives didnt effect anything usefull,
Reiber

Postby RetroWaffles » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:00 pm

AlexNT wrote:Straw is stupidly OP on day one.

What's so good about straw on day 1? Seems like fabric from string grass has way more crafts. Are bee skeps early just that important for speeding up other crops/wax production?
RetroWaffles

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar