Hafens barrier to entry

General discussion and socializing.

Hafens barrier to entry

Postby overtyped » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:01 pm

Bob Doles been thinking lately. He has a very good pc, but when there is enough shit on screen, he can still get 10 fps.
Then Bob Dole got to wondering, why are mmo's like world of warcraft able to run with decent fps on a 1995 school computer, but my graphics card can chug in hafen?

Just like Yandere Dev and his horrendous spaggeti code, most indie developers likely have this same problem, where the game isn't optimized, where most code is redundant, or there's ten lines of code to do a task, but could actually be shortened to one. But, hopefully our own spaggeti games code doesn't look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXotP-9LcDY.

The only thing I can think of to improve things is somehow clumping similar objects into their own kind of instances, like crops or something, where they don't "exist" or count as a single unit until they are actually being moused over, or maybe clicked on? In theory it would reduce fps, but it's probably hard to code, and I have no idea if this is even viable or makes sense, my coding knowledge is only basic.

Solo developers have to either focus on development, or refinement, but it's like a catch-22. If they don't regularly update, people might quit, but if they don't refine the code, then the barrier to entry prevents new blood. There's also a risk that if you shorten something the whole thing fucks up. Indie devs don't have hundreds of developers at their disposal to quickly fix something like this either.

But, I do wonder how crazy popular hafen would be like if literally anyone could play it on their shitty pcs.
With the rise of AI, i wonder if a ai program like chatgpt could be trained on hafen code to try and optimize it without fucking it up.
Last edited by overtyped on Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Re: Hafens barrier to entry

Postby Joe69 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:07 pm

I've always played hafen on a toaster :oops:
I fully look forward to jorb and loftar fixing several mechanics and bringing back updates, because at that time you chuckleheads are going to be more marginalized than lawn furniture in winter.
Joe69

Postby Aerona » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:19 pm

Hmm. My computer's fan screams when I shift-click stacked items into a stockpile, it's usually OK otherwise.
Aerona

Postby TheServant » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:20 pm

I agree.
TheServant

Postby The_Blode » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:37 pm

built-in gatekeeping, as far as I'm concerned.
i don't want any "REEE MUH FRAMES DROPPED FOR A MOMENT" autism to pile onto the already rampant autism present around here.

that said, I didn't get to experience a steady framerate on a PC until i was well into adulthood so my perception is skewed by that
The_Blode

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:45 pm

overtyped wrote:With the rise of AI, i wonder if a ai program like chatgpt could be trained on hafen code to try and optimize it without fucking it up.

That ain't happening any time soon. Instead, think of the AI as an assistant that could point some things out to Loftar, rather than something that could redo all of it. I suppose that could work.

Also game's written in java by a single person. WoW is neither java nor single person.

The new render client pretty much doubled the framerate, so who knows what we'll get in the future tho xD
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Reiber » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:09 am

hafen isnt exactly stable, but it runs on anything, thats why we have such an sprawling russian playerbase, whose machines can only run this, and homm3,
Reiber

Postby Tubby_Squirrel » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:43 am

Haven being written in Java is a major factor. Java isn't known for being ... light weight.
Tubby_Squirrel

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:46 am

Everything is about weight with this fucking guy
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby 26dollar » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:27 am

don't you fucking dare shit talk yanderedev, he made a masterpiece
also lofter can u pls completely remake hafen in c++, thx
26dollar

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar