Tips for players who joined a little late

General discussion and socializing.

Tips for players who joined a little late

Postby kmarad » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:09 am

We have to deal with people with 100+ stats and all combat moves maxed, fast ships on water and horses on land.
How do we save our toons?

I've got just a few ideas :
- Dual water buckets to race the runners. Only switch to axe when needed and back to dual buckets then. Extra waterskins is always good.
- Get Hearth Magic : Raw Hide! to disable the horsemen https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Raw_Hide! and disconnect while they are stunned.

Got another from discord - kudos to MightySheep :
- Find a vortex and just warp-away from the royale rumble on main island.

Please help with tips, spawning solo in a world a week old is hardcore.
kmarad

Re: Tips for players who joined a little late

Postby Noogia » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:13 am

kmarad wrote:We have to deal with people with 100+ stats and all combat moves maxed, fast ships on water and horses on land.
How do we save our toons?

I've got just a few ideas :
- Dual water buckets to race the runners. Only switch to axe when needed and back to dual buckets then. Extra waterskins is always good.
- Get Hearth Magic : Raw Hide! to disable the horsemen https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Raw_Hide! and disconnect while they are stunned.

Got another from discord - kudos to MightySheep :
- Find a vortex and just warp-away from the royale rumble on main island.

Please help with tips, spawning solo in a world a week old is hardcore.

Not enough people take advantage of those hidey-hole entrances that look like foxholes that spawn randomly on the map. They are much smaller then the traditional caves but still are decent. Don't settle near large bodies of water and find one about 2-3 tiles away from rivers/lakes you can store a leanto in there and a couple of crates enough space for the start. Put a claim stake at the entrance so that people cannot enter without smashing the claim and leaving vand scents and build your hearth fire inside for easy teleport. Then build round pole fence and get locks and bolts ASAP as having a locked gate still requires vand to smash/pick. Most players expect for bored trolls will not risk leaving 10-100 vand scents for some ql 10 hides. Focus only on materials for a palisade and put tanning tubs underground out of sight. Do not terraform, Do not pave, Do not effect the environment in anyway to reveal yourself on the map. Once you get the materials for the palisade build it ASAP and don't waste time as you do not want a unfriendly visitor while you are in the process of building the pali and bank the majority of your LP for how big you want your claim/area to be. If you want to make sure leather/rope/bones stay hidden store then on a alt if you feel it necessary.

There is still plenty to do without having a house/main base out in the open. Ive done this for the past 2 worlds and never had any problems. Also learn the combat system and practice on ants/bats and get decent moves, if you are attacked and have to fight you can only hope that a spruce cap killer thinks he will only be able to use 1-2 moves on you to kill you meanwhile you already have moves that stack IP/chop/full weighted combat moves that will easily scare the attacker off. I settled pretty close to the thing wall and a whirlpool and have yet to have many unfriendly people around me surprisingly, move covertly and avoid rivers always. Use animals and the environment to your advantage incase you are attacked (Luring unfriendlies into a pack of wolves, using speed boosts and keeping 3-4 water skins or carry a bucket for plenty of energy).
Noogia

Re: Tips for players who joined a little late

Postby vatas » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:21 am

Not directly related to joining late, but just in case I'll plug in here how awesome Slings are, for anyone whose missed the changes to them. For starters they now require dry hide instead of leather, making them so much more accessible.

You do need some investment: 1k LP for "Archery" skill before game lets you even try to shoot one. Then you need 500 LP to get Marksmanship up to 3. But at this point, and with base 10 Perception, you can one-shot all small critters that would otherwise be a pain or impossibility to catch (rabbits and various birds.) Note: shooting ducks was almost impossible, but since this patch they now remain to be picked up if they die in shallow water. You probably want to invest some survival to make sure you aren't crafting q1 sling, lowest q sling I used was q6 and I don't know if a sling can be too low Q to not one-shot critters.

With this way of collecting bones, you should have no problem getting the Bone Glue for Palisade and Study Desk. Mallard and Rock Dove feathers are decent to good curiosities in early game. Magpies can drop their "Thieving Claw" which is an INT gild.

Tip: you may want to use :cam bad because default camera is isometric, yet character shoots at normal linear. Aiming just a few pixels under the critter can help offset this when using :cam ortho or :cam ortho -f.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Return to The Inn of Brodgar