Cannot get game to work

General discussion and socializing.

Cannot get game to work

Postby Willmn628 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:15 pm

Have registered, hit the little play symbol at the top and it downloads and .jar file that when i read it out of downloads its just gibberish. nothing for me to click. no client launcher. nothing. no folder created. only option when i look at that jar file is to read it and asks me with word pad, media player, or note pad. i am certainly someone who does not understand any of this on programming, changing code, or knowing what im reading on these things. i just want to click, download, and play. not sure exactly what to do can find no tutorial on you tube showing me what i see not what another may see. dont understand the instructions ive seen. help please
Willmn628

Re: Cannot get game to work

Postby EnderWiggin » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:18 pm

you probably need to download and install Java: https://www.java.com/en/download/
EnderWiggin

Postby Willmn628 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:32 pm

Thank you very much that seems to make it work! Thanks for the help EnderWiggin
Willmn628

Postby Gidsa » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:47 pm

No hope for me. Installing Java didn't do a thing. All files are .class.

Any help?
Gidsa

Postby Dawidio123 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:48 pm

Gidsa wrote:No hope for me. Installing Java didn't do a thing. All files are .class.

Any help?

What did you download? What files are you talking about exactly, post a screenshot of the folder you speak of. I would recommend trying to use a custom client, for example ender (which you can find in the previous answer's author signature).
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby akadwinn » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:13 pm

Gidsa wrote:No hope for me. Installing Java didn't do a thing. All files are .class.

Any help?

I had to do a bit of googling to figure out how to get this game to run because I have never encountered such a way to install a game but here's what I did:

install java, make sure it's installed correctly.

for me, the issue was that I could not get java to show up in in right click "open with..."
but i found this forum post on microsoft that worked.
install the .jar file of the game (I think it was linked above?)
(I copy and pasted the solution i found since I tried to post a link but it's not letting me since im new)
then try this:

2. Set file association

Jar files can’t run on your PC if you don’t have the proper associations. For example, jar files can be associated to run with other applications or they could lack file association completely.

If the situation is the latter one, you won’t be able to run jar files on your PC. However, you can easily fix this problem by changing the file association for jar files. To do that, follow these steps:

Open the Settings app. Navigate to the System > Default apps.

Scroll all the way down and select Choose default apps by file type.

Locate the .jar file type and choose a default application.

3. Create a .bat file

According to users, you can run jar files on Windows 10 by using this simple workaround. This solution requires you to create a .bat file and use it every time you want to run a specific jar file. The process is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:

Locate your jar file. In the same folder, create a new Notepad file. To do that, right-click empty space in the directory and choose New > Text Document.

When Notepad opens, enter java -jar filename.jar. Be sure to replace filename.jar with the actual name of the file.

Navigate to the File > Save as.

Set Save as type to All files. Now, enter the desired name for the file. Keep in mind that you need to have .bat as an extension or else the solution won’t work. Save the file in the same location where your jar file is located.

After doing that, locate your .bat file and double-click it. Your jar file will now open. Keep in mind that you need to repeat this process for every jar file that you want to run on your PC. In addition, be sure to save the .bat file in the same location as your jar file.

especially the bit about the .bat file, because that worked for me. I just click the .bat file instead when I want to run the game and it works. Hope this helps :)
akadwinn

Return to The Inn of Brodgar