using a laptop with NO mouse

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

using a laptop with NO mouse

Postby keroba » Sat May 19, 2018 8:42 am

OK let alone being a nubie in this game, (which I am loving BTW) I am having a hell of a time learning how to do a lot of things. Most is trial and error. can't use the mouse wheel to rotate camera angle, so I swipe my pad over and over until the angle changes, then theres the zoom, but that's all hindsight I am learning to deal with that. My main question is "how do I use my fishing pole?" I have read Sevenless' and a zillion other post but haven't found the right one. Control right click or whatever. My pole is equipped, when I scan over it says pole, line, hook, bait. By trying, I have dropped poles in the river, on the ground a thousand times, put back in my inventory, but can't seem to fish. Also to save from boring you with nubie questions, has anyone made a post that tells the basic commands to do this kind of stuff? I did read "new commands" and found a lot of interesting moves, also a post about nubie questions, but I have spent hours looking for the answers and would love to find the "basics" in one thread if possible. Sorry for the dumb questions. Even Wiki doesn't explain things very well, at least without using a mouse. Thanx ahead of time!!!
keroba

Re: using a laptop with NO mouse

Postby vatas » Sat May 19, 2018 10:49 am

Not sure if this is what you're missing, but you need to use (A)dventure->f(i)sh on the menu.

Don't forget to check that there are jumping fish around, indicating you can catch some.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby keroba » Sat May 19, 2018 2:06 pm

So my stick pole is in my inventory all rigged, I se the fish jumping, I open adventure (fishing) see the "hook" , I tried left click on pole then right click n water but no luck. That's where I am lost
keroba

Postby ydex » Sat May 19, 2018 2:09 pm

equip the fully equiped fishing hook to your characters hands. then click the hook on to water to cast the line and your character will be fishing.
bold
ydex

Postby keroba » Sat May 19, 2018 6:20 pm

TY that was it
keroba

Postby Tammer » Wed May 23, 2018 4:19 am

keroba wrote:can't use the mouse wheel to rotate camera angle, so I swipe my pad over and over until the angle changes, then theres the zoom

Try ortho cam.

:cam ortho

Then you can use the arrow keys to zoom and rotate the camera. The only (maybe?) thing you can't really do is rotate an object before setting it down.
Tammer

Postby Granger » Wed May 23, 2018 5:58 am

Is there a particular reason that keeps you from investing into a mouse?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Tammer wrote:The only (maybe?) thing you can't really do is rotate an object before setting it down.

Since an update or two back, you can do that too with the arrow keys.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Glorthan » Fri May 25, 2018 5:29 am

Touchpad drivers use gestures or buttons to implement scrolling usually. Eg two buttons at once = middle mouse click, one or two fingers to emulate scrolling...
Glorthan

Postby MagicManICT » Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 pm

Glorthan wrote:Touchpad drivers use gestures or buttons to implement scrolling usually. Eg two buttons at once = middle mouse click, one or two fingers to emulate scrolling...

Right, but the drivers have to interface with the software correctly to make things work. If it's sending a message different than expected, nothing will work. My understanding is that Apple is still doing something strange Java isn't catching correctly. Where the fault lies... beats me. I'm not a great programmer, just a moderate hack.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?