How do I get charter location back on list?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How do I get charter location back on list?

Postby Tamalak » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Early on, before I really understood how charter stones worked, I memorized a location and then tried to use my portico. It kept not working and gave no error message (now I know it didn't work due to deep water). In the process of trying to get it to work I hit the X next to its name to take it off the list.

Now it's permanently missing from my list. "Revisiting" the stone doesn't add it again and I don't seem to be able to manually add it. I'd rather not have to type in the name every time (and I might forget it..).. is there any way to get it back?
Tamalak

Re: How do I get charter location back on list?

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:38 pm

regedit/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/JavaSoft/Prefs/haven/charters

["404",
"/charter /examples",
"/Helfors",
"/u0421/u043e/u044e/u0437/u0424/u0435/u0440/u043c/u0435/u0440/u043e/u0432"]

Would produce a list for
charter examples
Helfros
СоюзФермеров

Alternatively, if you visit the charter for the first time on a different character the name should return
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:04 am

Note to loftar: use configuration files. Quit using the registry. I realize modern computers come with gigabytes of RAM, but it still causes bloat and inefficiencies in the functioning of Windows.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:52 am

MagicManICT wrote:Note to loftar: use configuration files. Quit using the registry. I realize modern computers come with gigabytes of RAM, but it still causes bloat and inefficiencies in the functioning of Windows.

Pretty sure the registry stuff is for custom clients. It's in there so people don't accidentally send their passwords and such with their client. Default client doesn't even have the charter stone listing feature.
DDDsDD999

Postby Ardennesss » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:35 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Note to loftar: use configuration files. Quit using the registry. I realize modern computers come with gigabytes of RAM, but it still causes bloat and inefficiencies in the functioning of Windows.

Pretty sure the registry stuff is for custom clients. It's in there so people don't accidentally send their passwords and such with their client. Default client doesn't even have the charter stone listing feature.
It also makes it pretty safe to tell someone to just "reinstall" a client because they won't lose any of their settings, because they're registry saved. Ender doesn't use registry IIRC, it was something that Amber or whatever came before Amber started. Side note about charters, you can also just use inspect on the charter stone to re-add it to your list. The client intercepts the system log message that tells you what the charter secret is and logs it. This will also duplicate entries in the list I'm pretty sure if you were to inspect one you already know.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Agrik » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:36 am

Ardennesss wrote:It also makes it pretty safe to tell someone to just "reinstall" a client because they won't lose any of their settings, because they're registry saved.
But then it isn't really a reinstall. And what if these settings are corrupted or wrong?

I hope I misunderstood something because I hate when programs leave a garbage in the system after uninstallation, especially in the registry.
Agrik

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:46 pm

Even if it was a reinstall, a program can be reinstalled without overwriting things like charterstone lists, map data, etc etc that would be stored in configuration and local data files. Certain core configuration files might need to be overwritten (as a bad config setting might be the reason for a broken installation in the first place). That's like saying reinstalling Word will wipe out all of your documents.

If it's stored in the registry, though, uninstalling and reinstalling should clear all those entries and reset them to the base values. Failure to do so is a poorly implemented application.

And still the #1 way to speed up Windows? Get a registry cleaning tool that'll find keys that aren't used by any installed program and remove them. You can argue for using the registry all you want, but if that's still the best way to install application data, after 25 years of using the registry, then a lot of software developers (or maybe just a few at Microsoft) need to have some heads knocked around.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?