Rock Doves & Dovecotes

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Rock Doves & Dovecotes

Postby Kaios » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:04 pm

I've been messing around with the Dovecotes for a bit now and I have a couple of questions regarding them if anyone might happen to know the answers.

First of all, has anyone had any success hatching eggs that weren't originally laid in the dovecote that they are in (for example they have been moved from one Dovecote to another, or retrieved from a nest)? It seems like when I add eggs to a Dovecote that weren't laid there originally, it deters Doves from visiting at all. As well, placing Doves inside the dovecote manually to hatch the eggs also seems to have no effect on said eggs.

The second issue is somewhat related to the first, but I also have not had any success getting doves placed manually in the dovecote to lay eggs, it seems like this too only happens when the doves fly in of their own accord.

Are these bugs or is this how its intended to work? If anyone might be able to share their experience with these mechanics I would appreciate it very much.
Kaios

Re: Rock Doves & Dovecotes

Postby WowGain » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:37 pm

I know your ass ain't seriously saying that you REGULARLY engage with DOVECOTES
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Kaios » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:47 pm

If you are referring to how they work with regard to their appeal to doves, I understand that aspect of the mechanic and how the appeal of the dovecotes is improved or degraded by how much they are interacted with or raiding them for doves/eggs. For example, I have one dovecote in which I placed eggs that came from another dovecote. The dovecote I took the eggs from does really well in terms of attracting doves and multiplying, but these are occurring naturally. However, the other dovecote I put the eggs in myself receives no doves after several days of sitting around with no interaction and the only reason I can surmise is that the "foreign" eggs seems to keep them away entirely.
Kaios

Postby Kaios » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:35 pm

As I thought, removing the "foreign" eggs from the Dovecote they were placed in does indeed once again allow for attraction to the Dovecote. Seems like the level of attraction does need to get built back up a bit by either leaving it alone for awhile or not stuffing eggs inside it but otherwise doves are again starting to visit that dovecote.

It'd be nice if such mechanics could be explained better. Looking at the patch notes that relate to doves and dovecotes, I don't see any information that pertains to these questions.

I still haven't confirmed if a Dove that I placed inside a dovecote myself will lay or hatch an egg, but so far it doesn't appear that they do and in fact always just fly right out again the next time you open the dovecote.
Kaios

Postby vatas » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:41 pm

Is there even any way to tell if a rock dove is "wild" or "domesticated" other than trying and failing to make a wild one do stuff that only domesticated one can?

Also:
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby The_Blode » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:12 pm

Once the game is released and out of alpha they'll describe the mechanics in detail, no worry
The_Blode

Postby Kaios » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 pm

vatas wrote:Is there even any way to tell if a rock dove is "wild" or "domesticated" other than trying and failing to make a wild one do stuff that only domesticated one can?

yeah the squabs that are born and grow up in a dovecote are then identified as domestic when they become doves

Also:

oh thanks I missed that, didn't even think to try it to be honest lol
Kaios

Return to How do I?