A question about hunting

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

A question about hunting

Postby Lorefin » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:13 pm

Let's say you're new and you want to hunt an animal from a rowboat or a dugout.

I know if you're a pro and have a horse, you can shoot something 1 to 3 times while kiting on a horse and then give a chase and punch it down or switch to a sword for a massive dmg finisher, if it turns back to combat then you can kite away and as it runs into a straight line on you, you can make a finishing shot with an arrow again but the sword's damage is propably pretty big to finish it up in one hit.

But let's say you only have a boat or a ridge. You appear in a shallow water so it chases you and doesn't trigger an unreachable escape, you fire and go out into the deep water and repeat untill it has low hp.

But then the problem begins, it starts to run inland with a low hp..... and idk, if I think correctly, the best is to cancel combat, get away so the portrait completely dissapears and then try to find it where it ran in-land on foot, wait idk how long, a minute or so untill it stops and the animal starts behaving normally again and you do a finishing shot.. if it doesn't finish that animal, it starts to low-hp run again and you have to repeat it untill it dies?

When I've done something like this, I often lost that animal somewhere in-land :D It was running and running away so how long untill it stops and starts being passive again? And it's better to have enough damage to make that last finishing shot a kill-shot because if it has low hp and you shot it far in-land but it doesn't die and gives you a desperate chase, you're screwed right? :D

Like I remember when hunting long time ago, that I killed an animal when I had luck because it started to flee alongside the river so I could catch up with a rowboat or something like this...

or its better to activate combat with it so it chases you when you on a rowbat kite it into some very water-ish, thin strip of land and when you damage it and it starts to run back alongside this strip, you can catch up on a rowboat, perhaps either do it from a boat or quickly go out, run yourself and shoot it as it flees?
But imagine such a killshot when the animal runs away would be hard to aim for, you'd have to get behind or in front of it as it runs in a straight line.
Lorefin

Re: A question about hunting

Postby Fostik » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:59 am

Basically there are few things you can improve.

You should learn reaggro animals quick, basically you enact peace mode during fight, and as soon as animal starts to flee you reaggro it again. Sometimes it requires to perform multiple times for animal to turn on you again.

You can also fight using cave, entering it to restore openings, exiting to continue fight animals.

It is also important skill you develop over time to understand how much you can damage on which openings with certain weapon, understanding when exactly animal starts fleeing. You simply block animal way to escape with your boat then.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Dawidio123 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:53 am

Hunting is as cheesable as it could be, if on water just outrange it with a sword or better and hit it until it runs, then do the reaggro (unaggro and aggro it) as the other poster mentioned. In land just kite it around on a horse, it's kinda risky with bears bcs they could throw you off the horse, the alternative is just luring it to a huge cliff it cannot pathfind around then doing exact same thing as on a boat, outrange and hit until it runs then reaggro. Some clients have a reaggro bot/hotkey + automatic peace on animals, so that makes it a whole lot easier. Check if the client you're using has a hotkey to peace out the animal and aggro closest or smth, if not you'll have to do with what you have.
Never use bow for hunting, it's a waste of time to make arrows and it's not really much faster than just melee (at enough stats/gear ql you can mostly tank stuff like bears and mooses, just make sure to skip bear enraged state with a big cleave.)

In early game without at least a bronze sword (so basically only week 1) you cannot outrange animals, in that case you do the usual cheese of hitting it then retreating into a cave/water/a bit away from a cliff that it's behind and drop your own openings.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Alurin » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:12 am

Fostik wrote:Basically there are few things you can improve.

You should learn reaggro animals quick, basically you enact peace mode during fight, and as soon as animal starts to flee you reaggro it again. Sometimes it requires to perform multiple times for animal to turn on you again.

You can also fight using cave, entering it to restore openings, exiting to continue fight animals.

It is also important skill you develop over time to understand how much you can damage on which openings with certain weapon, understanding when exactly animal starts fleeing. You simply block animal way to escape with your boat then.

I kinda know about how to shoot the animal itself but I agree that I forgot about the cave, let's just pretend there are no caves though. I just always wondered what to excatly do after.

So, it starts to flee. I know to quickly hit peace, but the animal portrait still remains as you're in combat with your icon turned green. Just like normally when you escape something, you also need to lose the animal's portrait.

So do I have to do something like this :
Go into the opposide side of a fleeing animal, quickly hitting the peace button untill the animal's portrait dissapear and then just go back, go-inland and retrace the animals steps and find where it ran off and just re-damage it once it calms off and comes back to its natural behaviour?
Alurin

Postby Dawidio123 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HdoAHInheQ this video explains it decently enough.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Lorefin » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:38 am

Ok, I don't know why but before I started killing more animals, when it started to flee and I tried to deactivate the combat, it didn't remove the animal's portrait or the combat at all, only it gave a peace-offer from my side. Maybe because I wasn't triggering the low-hp routing but the one where it starts to run away after shooting it from an unreachable place and it worked just the same as if you try to escape anything - you have to get away to firstly have the " ? " as its portrait and then drop it off.

I don't know why, maybe I shot it a lot with low dmg from the boat and some of these shots counted as these unreachable shots triggering this.

So I had a minfduck when I clicked to turn the combat off and it instantly got rid off it and after I checked what "Attack" button does to it after, it suddenly turns back and starts chasing me again giving me an easy shot without having to chase the animal at all.

But now I have an another question.

Does leveling my Markmanship increase anything damage related? I ran a test and got a bow that was the same qualtiy as my MM. I shot a fox and then I shot another one after equipping all of my Leather Patch-glided gear which is on a lot of my gear, it gives me percp and MM... and I had 2 damage more using the same arrow.

I ask because my friend said that leveling your MM above the quality of your bow doesn't matter and I started to wonder.
Lorefin

Postby Lurux » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:56 am

Damage scales with Marksmanship skill and bow quality using the following formula : https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Hunter%27s_Bow

When the ? comes up with the animal its already to late : you need to deaggro (peace the animal) when its fleeing and attack it again while still within your screen.
This takes some skill but you can create a shortkeys for it and it will become much easier.
That way hunting from a boat becomes very easy : cheese the animal with a +range weapon like a spear : there is a gap between the boat and animal where the animal cannot attack you but you can attack the animal. Then when its low in hp it will flee, deaggro and reaggro : animal will run back to you and cheese it again.
This is how bears / deers/ boars etc become easy to kill
Lurux

Postby Lorefin » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:09 pm

Lurux wrote:Damage scales with Marksmanship skill and bow quality using the following formula : https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Hunter%27s_Bow

When the ? comes up with the animal its already to late : you need to deaggro (peace the animal) when its fleeing and attack it again while still within your screen.
This takes some skill but you can create a shortkeys for it and it will become much easier.
That way hunting from a boat becomes very easy : cheese the animal with a +range weapon like a spear : there is a gap between the boat and animal where the animal cannot attack you but you can attack the animal. Then when its low in hp it will flee, deaggro and reaggro : animal will run back to you and cheese it again.
This is how bears / deers/ boars etc become easy to kill

Hello, so the formula is up-to date? :D What about Perception, does it have any part in the damage?

I found a line like this: When hitting a target, a comparison is also made between the target's Agility * Marksmanship, and your Perception * Marksmanship, which can further reduce your damage.
Lorefin

Return to How do I?