What foods should I be eating and what should i focus on?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: What foods should I be eating and what should i focus on

Postby Laborman5 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:17 am

Here's what I did as a solo:
Spitroast and dry fish - pretty much the entire game. Make spitroast alt(s) so you dont need to wait as long and can properly time the sizzle bonus. If you don't have the casting rod because it takes cloth and you are a noob - get clover and click sheep until you can make 1 cloth for it. This one item will carry you through the earlygame.
.1% hunger berries - dig the bushes up and bring them home quality does not matter. Variety is important obviously for the variety fep bonus. 16 bushes seems ok but depends on how much you gonna be eating, some bushes produce more than others too.
If you know what you are doing smoke specific meats, just spitroast if you don't know what you are doing. Smoking meat and not sausage is only for boar and other key early game meats that get a decent bonus/change when smoked.
Perch and pike are your first 2 best fish. Sturgeon and all the +int fish are good too.
Eat ***perched perch*** with yellow onion it gives everything you need. Eat ring of brodgar (baking). Eat pumpkin pie for early +str. Once you can boat hunt make meat dishes/spitroast out of boar for str. If you don't have a frying pan then get one and make pan seared fish/crackling cuts/***autumn steak***. Next step is to make minehole l2 and get bronze. Keep eating well and eventually you will be able to mine quickly.
You should have a decent farm going at this point too, doesn't need to be high quality can buy better seeds later on at a market, focus on quantity. At least q10 obviously.
As for drinks you should definitely get them asap at least q10. Milk/tea is usually first, followed by cider and perry, followed by wine/mead/beer. Imagine eating 20 perched perch with +50% satiation bonus.
With all of this you will be fine if you use your time wisely, just make sure you find a big flat place to live so you have space for all of the farming, trellises, and storage you need to do without much terraforming.

Also I don't recommend worrying about using bonfire. With the time it takes to get the wood and light it, and the tiny benefit it offers, and the swap to +cha gear for your alts, you were better off just making more food. Who cares about +1% bonus when you can get +50% bonus from beer. As a side note, has anyone done quality testing on the bonfires? It has quality when inspected so it might matter.

So yea as others have said just eat fish. Focus on foods that give stats for things you want to do based on how easy they are to make.
Laborman5

Postby Reiber » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:13 am

[quote="Laborman5"[/quote]
if you tell someone about "very" early fishing, the probbably bring q down through the spitroast. if you have truly nothing, you dry the fish, fry it even. if you get some better strings later on , you can start spitting it. real fish progress begins as soon as you get an frying pan and access too lemons. and lettuce
Reiber

Postby ItsFunToLose » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:29 pm

Sevenless wrote:The mistake with that is thinking hunger matters this world. It doesn't really, a very stark contrast from last world. Also comparing it to WWW is misleading, that's not a food this player will need at the stage where they care about roasted fish, and the FEPs are ridiculous overkill anyway.

Kinda like comparing fishing to MBC. Different needs for different stages of development. Assuming we're not just injecting a nab into an established village and erasing all stages of progress for them.

Peppered to really drive the point home.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby zengler » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:18 pm

zengler

Postby zengler » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:50 pm

https://food.hearthlands.net/
Any alternatives? Like a mirror of that good database...
zengler

Postby ItsFunToLose » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:56 pm

zengler wrote:https://food.hearthlands.net/
Any alternatives? Like a mirror of that good database...

https://irongete.com/haven-food/

yes. Irongete is amazing. he backed it up.
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby Giewonciak » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:28 am

Smoke weed, how nobody said that ? 5% FEP bonus
Giewonciak

Postby pbbllt » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:19 pm

If the food can't fill your fepbar at least halfway - it's garbage.
If the food does not give you +2 stat - it's most likely garbage.
If the food does not have at least 50% in the stat you intend to raise by eating it - it's most probably garbage.
If the food has more than 4% hunger and you don't have a way to counter it - it's garbage.

Beverages do not give any bonus apart from decreased satiety on foods while eating - mostly garbage if you don't eat much; and you won't eat much unless you eat garbage that is classified by above rules.

Most important things are:
- good quality symbels and chair,
- not garbage food,
- not overeating (satiety).

99% of foods in haven are distractions for full larpers and sprucecaps, https://irongete.com/haven-food/ is the only way if you want a decent character in a reasonable time (I mean 300 stats in everything apart from str).

Fish is the only exception tho, they have really good +1 feps for int and str which is extremely helpful early-to-mid game. Even later on, pan-seared zander is a way to go as well.
pbbllt

Postby Sevenless » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:16 pm

pbbllt wrote:Beverages do not give any bonus apart from decreased satiety on foods while eating - mostly garbage if you don't eat much; and you won't eat much unless you eat garbage that is classified by above rules.

The rest of your suggestions are aimed at power players, which means this comment is dead wrong. If you're eating 1 tap or 2 tap meals, drinks keep you 1 or 2 tapping for extra FEPs. Eating with any sort of resource efficiency means stopping when you drop to needing extra pieces of power food instead of 1 or 2 variety to top you off. The right beverage helps with that quite a lot, especially since they scale with quality.

If you're going to go through all the effort of eating at a faction level, ignoring drinks is leaving free FEPs on the ground.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby WowGain » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:34 pm

Make a good table with silk and river pearl shit if you can. It's not very unrealistic to get 102% fep bonus from table + chair which immediately makes any food item much likelier to 1bar
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?