Grand List of Simple Questions

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Grand List of Simple Questions

Postby VDZ » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:29 pm

MagicManICT wrote:.5 always rounds up, so you just need to do better than ".499999" (or however many significant digits there are in quality calculations).

I know it does mathematically, but is it 100% true in the game? For example, what if the server-side stored quality per item has more significant digits than the client displays (so your q49.5 item may instead be q49.46 for calculations)? Are we sure that a user-calculated .5 is always a .5 -> 1 server-side?
VDZ

Postby Ysh » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:33 pm

VDZ wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:.5 always rounds up, so you just need to do better than ".499999" (or however many significant digits there are in quality calculations).

I know it does mathematically, but is it 100% true in the game? For example, what if the server-side stored quality per item has more significant digits than the client displays (so your q49.5 item may instead be q49.46 for calculations)? Are we sure that a user-calculated .5 is always a .5 -> 1 server-side?

I think it is not question of quality, but question of computed value.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby jumping1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:06 pm

Where do these new Stoats spawn?

Also, can I wear 2 Hussar's Wings at the same time?
Mr. Boar doesn't like you....
jumping1

Postby xdragonlord18 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:41 pm

jumping1 wrote:Where do these new Stoats spawn?

Also, can I wear 2 Hussar's Wings at the same time?

yes
Ysh wrote:You all forget that bucket is include. I think with bucket it is fair price.
xdragonlord18

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:58 pm

VDZ wrote:

I've done the math more than enough times. I had a list of quite a few goods, such as nettle clothes, that have consequential drawbacks in various parts of the game to hit the "sweet spot" of getting the next tier bonus without getting the next tier of penalties. More than a few of them required hitting the midpoint without going much over. (I'm assuming bonuses and penalties are being displayed in the client properly, of course... if the rounding goes in one direction or another and the client isn't showing the values properly....)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Glorthan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:38 am

Possibly depends on the IEEE 754 implementation, so different for every number based on the underlying binary representation, as many numbers can't be represented exactly.
Glorthan

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:53 am

Glorthan wrote:Possibly depends on the IEEE 754 implementation, so different for every number based on the underlying binary representation, as many numbers can't be represented exactly.

Possibly. I never ran across any rounding or math issues myself, but I won't say they can't exist. We definitely have some items (particularly food) that end up with one ten-thousandth of an FEP, but then that's different math being done.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Hasta » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:23 am

I think that^ discussion somehow surpasses the "simple questions" paradigm XD

Now here's a simple (and stupid) question. Early on this world I was KOed by some unpleasant people, all my stuff dropped into water (except for some junk and tools I had in my base inventory). Is there a way to keep SOMETHING from being snatched/dropped after a KO? Like, holding an item on your cursor or whatnot?
Hasta

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:46 am

Hasta wrote:Now here's a simple (and stupid) question. Early on this world I was KOed by some unpleasant people, all my stuff dropped into water (except for some junk and tools I had in my base inventory). Is there a way to keep SOMETHING from being snatched/dropped after a KO? Like, holding an item on your cursor or whatnot?

You can move while holding an item on the cursor (hold ctrl while clicking). I'm not sure if this would stay on the cursor if you get KO'd, or be protected from looting, as I've not experimented. Seems prone to misclicks and dropping the item.

Hasta wrote:I think that^ discussion somehow surpasses the "simple questions" paradigm XD

And that's one of a few issues I have with this thread... you never know when a simple question leads to a complex discussion. Still, the thread is here, and people don't seem to want to let it go. Who am I to argue with it?
MagicManICT

Postby valeriesusanne » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Sorry if this is somewhere else in the forum, but... What are those tall stone columns (obelisk?) with the flame on top?
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?