Grand List of Simple Questions

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Grand List of Simple Questions

Postby Zajmer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:28 pm

How Can i get stones of higher quality than 10 early on?
Zajmer

Postby iamahh » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:13 pm

Zajmer wrote:How Can i get stones of higher quality than 10 early on?

1. find an abandoned base or mine, usually there's some ql higher than 10

2. if you have mining you can risk working on walls, ql affected by masonry, could cause a cavein

3. if you have a pickaxe you can dig stone quarries, ql also affected by masonry
iamahh

Postby sambuka » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:49 am

MagicManICT wrote:
sambuka wrote:I need to destroy the mine hole and rebuild it. Tile to tile. Will the mine hole be in the same tile at the lower level?
Do I need to pre-clear at the lower level 7 * 7 square?

Mine layers mesh perfectly for coordinates between each layer. If you place a mine hole down in a spot and remove it (or is destroyed via any other means), you can put another down in the exact same spot as long as all other "space need" requirements are met--no objects within the landing zone, etc.

Something is wrong XD
I destroyed mine hole and when i try to build hole again (it the same place), i get "The area below is occupied."

On the lower level:

Maybe i need to destroy Brazier? Or home? Or finery forge?
I dont know...

UPD: on the lower level there is a private and village claims
Last edited by sambuka on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sambuka

Postby Valgaav1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Ok, seriously annoyed. Is there any way to find a specific type of boulder? Need to chip x4 marble and can't seem to find any. The wiki isn't very helpful when it comes to finding specific types of stone (except ore) so are there any tricks to finding it, or is it totally up to RNGesus?
Valgaav1

Postby vatas » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Valgaav1 wrote:Ok, seriously annoyed. Is there any way to find a specific type of boulder? Need to chip x4 marble and can't seem to find any. The wiki isn't very helpful when it comes to finding specific types of stone (except ore) so are there any tricks to finding it, or is it totally up to RNGesus?

One option is to find mine layer with marble on it and build house above it.

Custom clients have option to show marble boulders on map.

You can try trading for them as well.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby sambuka » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:57 am

sambuka wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:
sambuka wrote:I need to destroy the mine hole and rebuild it. Tile to tile. Will the mine hole be in the same tile at the lower level?
Do I need to pre-clear at the lower level 7 * 7 square?

Mine layers mesh perfectly for coordinates between each layer. If you place a mine hole down in a spot and remove it (or is destroyed via any other means), you can put another down in the exact same spot as long as all other "space need" requirements are met--no objects within the landing zone, etc.

Something is wrong XD
I destroyed mine hole and when i try to build hole again (it the same place), i get "The area below is occupied."

On the lower level:

Maybe i need to destroy Brazier? Or home? Or finery forge?
I dont know...

UPD: on the lower level there is a private and village claims

FYI

I did some experiments and got the following:
1. Personal and village claims do not affect the building mine hole (On the lower level. And i have a full permisions.)
2. paving on the lower level too
3. I was able to build a mine when I destroyed the house and the brazier

I think it was in the hitboxes of timber house.

and, i now have paved tile under the stairs 8-)
sambuka

Postby Rohebat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:42 pm

Feeling very confused about crop quality currently, the Wiki says that plantings within ~2 hours of each other will have the same quality. It then recommends leaving at least 5 hours between plantings, and someone here's said it randomizes after 8 hours? I'd been leaving it 3 hours between plantings thinking that'd be good enough but hadn't been getting any improvements in quality (usually it was just the same quality as the seed used), should I leave it 5 hours between plantings? 8? Over 8? Sorry with how often this sort of thing is asked, but I can't find a concrete answer.
Rohebat

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:03 am

Rohebat wrote: the Wiki says that plantings within ~2 hours of each other will have the same quality.

It will not necessarily be the same quality, but it will not be a completely random value such as the latter condition (5 hours) will be. For that matter, waiting the 5 hours could end up getting you the exact same quality just because it's random.

I'm not 100% sure how the math works on this, but have some ideas on how it could be coded. All I can say is if you plant a group of the same crops, same quality, right away, at best is you're going to get a variance of 1 out of it. If it's a large enough field so that you have several minutes time difference and a good bit of space (say 30-50 tiles), you might get a variance of 2, 1 for distance, 1 for time, and they'll all move towards that number. Waiting 5 hours will get you a completely different random value, but anything planted at that time, and within that space, will all have the same value.

It's up to you to manage how you plant things.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Rohebat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:23 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Rohebat wrote: the Wiki says that plantings within ~2 hours of each other will have the same quality.

It will not necessarily be the same quality, but it will not be a completely random value such as the latter condition (5 hours) will be. For that matter, waiting the 5 hours could end up getting you the exact same quality just because it's random.

I'm not 100% sure how the math works on this, but have some ideas on how it could be coded. All I can say is if you plant a group of the same crops, same quality, right away, at best is you're going to get a variance of 1 out of it. If it's a large enough field so that you have several minutes time difference and a good bit of space (say 30-50 tiles), you might get a variance of 2, 1 for distance, 1 for time, and they'll all move towards that number. Waiting 5 hours will get you a completely different random value, but anything planted at that time, and within that space, will all have the same value.

It's up to you to manage how you plant things.

So if I'm understanding this right, assuming the same crop and the same location, within 2 hours of first planting every other crop planted in this time period will not have enough variance to differ from the first crop's randomly chosen quality, but after 8 hours of the first crop planting you can plant again with the variance having completely reset, giving you a completely different random quality increase/decrease for the crops sown in that period. 5 hours is what people have deemed an "acceptable" waiting time between plantings to have a variance high enough to have a good chance of getting crops of a different quality than the first plant.
Rohebat

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 am

Rohebat wrote:So if I'm understanding this right, assuming the same crop and the same location, within 2 hours of first planting every other crop planted in this time period will not have enough variance to differ from the first crop's randomly chosen quality,

You can see a variance in quality in less than two hours, less than 30 minutes even. The "two" and "five" are more rules of thumb that the community has come to agreement on, and not necessarily a mathematical evaluation of the system.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?