Grand List of Simple Questions

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Grand List of Simple Questions

Postby ladygrey » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:07 am

when i log in and select certain character, it says client is too old and closes. when i launch that client, it doesnt contains new settings, like new addons in map, so i suppose it is old client. how can i get new client?
i use default client.
i tried downloading new autohaven from red play button, but it still closes my client

+ i renamed appdata folder as suggested at other place, and it worked :)
ladygrey

Postby mvgulik » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Mining, Minesweeper:

What is this "1-2-3 dust" part I keep seeing in different mining topics.

Is it something to do with the dust animation, or some other game data/feedback I'm not seeing.

... or is it just some reverence to some dust-tile colouring/marking based on a neighbouring dust-tile counting scheme ?
Dust-tile counting scheme like this ?
mvgulik

Postby shubla » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:25 pm

mvgulik wrote:Mining, Minesweeper:

Is it something to do with the dust animation, or some other game data/feedback I'm not seeing.

... or is it just some reverence to some dust-tile colouring/marking based on a neighbouring dust-tile counting scheme ?
Dust-tile counting scheme like this ?

I think it just counts how much dust is on the tile so you can play it like minesweeper.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:03 pm

mvgulik wrote:Mining, Minesweeper:

Dust falls when one or more of the surrounding 8 tiles around the one you mined are cave-in tiles (known as mines, in minesweeper).
The amount of dust that falls (0.01 - 0.08) determines how many of the neighbouring tiles are confirmed to cave-in.

Take for instance this example, assume the numbers are the amount of dust that fell after mining the tiles:

I marked the mines(cave-ins). Those number markings in your screenshot are either wrong when it comes to how much dust fell, or something else happened (maybe opened a gallery event, but I doubt that)
For instance, the corner in this screenshot says there are 2 dangerous tiles around:
However, all of them except for one have been cleared safely, therefore it should be like this, for that corner:
Either 0.01 dust fell on that particular tile, or a cave gallery was opened there, which screws things up, but I'm pretty sure the numbers in that screenshot are wrong.
OR maybe those tiles that are paved are actually safe all around. That's what I did when I mined, paved tiles were safe all around, and unpaved ones were dangerous.
Last edited by Nightdawg on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby MadNomad » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:05 pm

Nightdawg wrote:(0.01 - 0.08)

but you can't be surrounded by 8 tiles, because 1 of them has to be cleared to be surrounded by other ones
MadNomad

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:07 pm

MadNomad wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:(0.01 - 0.08)

but you can't be surrounded by 8 tiles, because 1 of them has to be cleared to be surrounded by other ones

Yes, however, you can clear a cave-in tile while under a mining support. Dust will still fall from the tiles next to that, even if all of the other ones are safe. Idk how loftar programmed the cave-in patterns. I'm assuming it won't have crap like more than 5-6 mines(cave-ins) around any tile, but we could be wrong.

EDIT:
mvgulik wrote:Dust-tile counting scheme like this ?

I just realised what the question was. No, those are most likely just paved tiles that are safe all around. I think most, if not all miners pave the safe (no falling dust) tiles. The unpaved one most likely had some sort of dust falling there, but we can't pave a number on a single tile sadly, so people just avoid marking how much dust fell there.
Nightdawg

Postby iamahh » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:04 am

wonder if troll eye works while carried by a domestic dove?
iamahh

Postby mvgulik » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:21 am

Nightdawg wrote:The amount of dust that falls (0.01 - 0.08) determines how many of the neighbouring tiles are confirmed to cave-in.

Aha, of course. (facepalm) (I have not played the original minesweeper game in ... decades)
That was the part that I was missing. Now those 1-2-3 parts make sense to me. :)
Thanks.

Nightdawg wrote:those are most likely just paved tiles that are safe all around.
No no. The paved tiles in the image is where dust fell down. I just counted the surrounding dust-tiles.

Nightdawg wrote:I think most, if not all miners pave the safe (no falling dust) tiles.
I have not tried that yet, but started to think about that.
mvgulik

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:04 am

iamahh wrote:wonder if troll eye works while carried by a domestic dove?

It works when carried by hearthlings. Idk if domestic doves have an inventory slot or something but it will probably work too.
But just to be sure, make sure they're linked before sending a dove out lol. Judging by how many troll eyes are out there, the dove might even reach its home before you get to check it.
Nightdawg

Postby Agrik » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:41 am

Nightdawg wrote:However, all of them except for one have been cleared safely
That's a dangerous assumption. In my experience, quantity of dust is always right, it's me who is wrong sometimes.

So if you get a number you think you shouldn't, or something does not add up, stop and recheck everything you marked, wrote down and assumed in this area, lest you learn the mistake the hard way.

For example, natural cave tiles and "hidden gallery" tiles can have the cave-in tiles (that are counted) despite being currently empty. Any tiles that were already mined by somebody can have them as well, e.g. if the person mined them, got a cave-in and then cleared it. Cave-in property is static, it doesn't go away and will trigger again if the tile get filled somehow and then mined.
Agrik

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?