Combat Guide by Flameturtle

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Combat Guide by Flameturtle & Friends

Postby banok » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:24 am

Ive realised my prefered deck for fighting everything above ants is pretty much the same:

Quick dodge
Watch its moves
jump
left hook
knock its teeth out
take aim

Works fine and is very easy vs bats, foxes, badgers, sheep.

Cant speak for pvp but pve, don't see the point in bringing any of the other moves I have. infact don't nessarily need left hook, just build IP then quickly KO with knock, animals pretty much always block all directions other than ants. so no real strat other than use strongest move, kinda sad really.
banok

Postby Hervarth » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:16 pm

If you're fighting stuff that breaks a block in 1 hit (more ua) I think its easier with a larger deck, and its also useful to have more than 1 attack so that you can get through their blocks better before they put them back up. Artful Evasion added to that deck will help you build ip faster while keeping blocks up, I think (but add another knock too - you dont want too few attacks per move).
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:34 pm

banok wrote:Ive realised my prefered deck for fighting everything above ants is pretty much the same:

Quick dodge
Watch its moves
jump
left hook
knock its teeth out
take aim

Works fine and is very easy vs bats, foxes, badgers, sheep.

Cant speak for pvp but pve, don't see the point in bringing any of the other moves I have. infact don't nessarily need left hook, just build IP then quickly KO with knock, animals pretty much always block all directions other than ants. so no real strat other than use strongest move, kinda sad really.

I don't see why you'd prefer left hook over other options like punch for a simple deck. Punch is a bit better at softening up opponents. Worth noting that the deck you showed actually beats itself (no red blocks). I wouldn't want to use it in pvp for that reason, blocking red is gonna be fairly important in pvp fights.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby banok » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:05 pm

but if you small deck you can use same best move twice in a row for best burst damage. I did say build was pve, have no clue about pvp. In pve I am either taking my time just spamming defenses waiting for disco move to show. or trying waiting to set up burst damage so I can kill badger/fox quickly before it can run away.

in both cases I find what I posted best, easy to keep up all 3 defenses when less moves to manage. and also easier to do 2x knockhisteethout in a row with small deck, with 6 cards I know I can say hit 5 then ctrl-5 then 5 and repeat the move straight after CD.

does punch and left hook do same damage to defenses then? I just liked left hook for decent damage for low cooldown, can hit thru defenses and do whittle damage to get animal low before I try to quickly finish with KHTO.

Hervarth wrote:If you're fighting stuff that breaks a block in 1 hit (more ua) I think its easier with a larger deck, and its also useful to have more than 1 attack so that you can get through their blocks better before they put them back up. Artful Evasion added to that deck will help you build ip faster while keeping blocks up, I think (but add another knock too - you dont want too few attacks per move).

Sevenless wrote:
I don't see why you'd prefer left hook over other options like punch for a simple deck. Punch is a bit better at softening up opponents. Worth noting that the deck you showed actually beats itself (no red blocks). I wouldn't want to use it in pvp for that reason, blocking red is gonna be fairly important in pvp fights.
Last edited by banok on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
banok

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:10 pm

At least under the current system, all moves have the same ability to penetrate blocks (at least any that are knock or lower, don't know if there's any crazy moves higher up). The only difference is of course which colour blocks they knaw on. Most mobs tend to spawn green/blue and yellow/red moves, so having one from each of those colour sets is good for pve discovery for sure.

And beyond that I was just explaining that blocking red in pvp is probably going to be important. Red and green that is, but everyone has green blocks.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby banok » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Sevenless wrote:At least under the current system, all moves have the same ability to penetrate blocks (at least any that are knock or lower, don't know if there's any crazy moves higher up). The only difference is of course which colour blocks they knaw on. Most mobs tend to spawn green/blue and yellow/red moves, so having one from each of those colour sets is good for pve discovery for sure.

And beyond that I was just explaining that blocking red in pvp is probably going to be important. Red and green that is, but everyone has green blocks.

its a good tip specially if you want to follow up with chop with low MC, since they are both green. does steal thunder mean you can use to deplete multiple defenses, even tho it does no damage? I dont have it yet :(

also I haven't come across a dedicated red defense move yet. still hoping for.
banok

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:46 pm

banok wrote:its a good tip specially if you want to follow up with chop with low MC, since they are both green. does steal thunder mean you can use to deplete multiple defenses, even tho it does no damage? I dont have it yet :(

also I haven't come across a dedicated red defense move yet. still hoping for.

Mmm, yield ground is probably the best you're gonna get. Being honest, IP is pretty generous in the current system. So giving someone one IP in order to block the moves they're going to be spending IP to use on you is acceptable.

Steal thunder requires the enemy to have 3+ IP (which makes it useless against anything but a bear pve wise). However, the important part is that it needs to chew through each block individually. So it's not particularly advantageous to use.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Hervarth » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Stacking blue blocks is also important if the person is trying to drag the fight on to Low Blow (but its quite easy to do...)
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

Postby banok » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:59 pm

anyone reckon they know much about when disco moves show up. Feels like they usually show up earlish in fight or not at all to me. other people suggested spamming defenses until they show but in my experience since is just burning my limited game time for not real result.

I realise they don't wanna reveal too much but if they could reveal enough so stop me wasting time would be nice.
banok

Postby Hervarth » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:05 pm

I haven't really done this but I know some people have had success getting discoveries by yielding to fleeing animals then reaggroing, when they are in a trap.
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?