[Outdated] Sevenless' beginner guide to Haven and Hearth

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Sevenless' beginner guide to Haven and Hearth

Postby Sevenless » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:10 am

Kaios wrote:holy that's a long post, nicely done

XD I checked a couple days ago and it was hitting 8k words. Last guide was sitting in the 15k something, wish I could check but it's ded with the old forums.

When it's getting closer to done (I'm guessing a week at this rate? Farming and a discussion on quality mechanics should round it out) I'm going to start a new post and break up the sections into one post each, and have a navigation post linking them all. So there'll be slightly nicer navigation than ctrl+f at least.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Drevar » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:16 am

Would be nice to explain how the actual mining process works, ie what the player sees while mining, rather than just "knock down walls and pray for ore and no cave ins".

As you strike the wall you get a progress hourglass, it finishes to 100% and then....starts over at 0% again. What is happening here? Is it "layers" of stone that are being chewed through, or is it at 100% you have a chance to knock down the caprock and if you fail you start at 0 again while if you succeed you get to see what is underneath?

Each hit gives an amount of progress, I'm guessing based on your Str/tool vs the rock hardness. Is it worth hitting at a wall that only gives 1 or 2 % progress per tick? What is a reasonable number to shoot for? Ie, if you aren't getting 6% per hit don't bother, etc.

Nice guide otherwise :)
Drevar

Postby Sevenless » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Honestly the system you're talking about is so simplistic I kind of ignore it (it's actually RNG based not progress based, although it's possible every failed attempt to break the wall increases the chance of it breaking on the next attempt). But sure, I'll toss up a bit more of an explanation :)

Edit:

Each hourglass you see is a single mining check. Once it's complete, you have a chance to get ore/stone, a chance to get a mining curiosity (which are pretty terrible right now), and a chance to break the wall tile/cause a cave in if it's unsupported. Cave walls don't give ore/stone so you just get the other two possibilities per mining check. It can vary pretty wildly in how many checks it takes to destroy a single tile, from one all the way up to fifty on the rare occasion.

updated

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Necroliter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Please fix :
Since it takes a while, it's a good idea to make yourself a tar kiln first. These take around a real life day to finish cooking and their quality has no impact whatsoever on the quality of coal produced.

Tar kiln of bad quality can decrease quality of resulted coal (tested). It can not increase it, though, so it`s only a cap (not sure soft or hard one, cause i got Q9 coal from Q9 tar-kiln).
Necroliter

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Necroliter wrote:Please fix :
Since it takes a while, it's a good idea to make yourself a tar kiln first. These take around a real life day to finish cooking and their quality has no impact whatsoever on the quality of coal produced.

Tar kiln of bad quality can decrease quality of resulted coal (tested). It can not increase it, though, so it`s only a cap (not sure soft or hard one, cause i got Q9 coal from Q9 tar-kiln).

Yeah shoot, I was in that discussion actually. Forgot to edit it though ><

If it makes you feel better, I was quoting an explanation jorb gave me. Turns out jorb can be wrong XD He blamed loftar though, classic jorb.

Edited and thanks!

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Sevenless' beginner guide to Haven and Hearth
Edit post

Your message contains 60140 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.

*cry*

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby g1real » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:01 pm

Sevenless wrote:*cry*

should've reserved posts n00b
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:03 pm

g1real wrote:should've reserved posts n00b

Thing is I want a fancy navigation system, with each section being a sub-post. This lets you do nice things, but if you don't know how many sections you're going to have all told it's difficult to reserve the right amount.

I'm intending to remake the topic with the number of reserved posts I need for that. I guess I might as well prepare to do that now since I've hit the single post cap.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Hervarth » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Sevenless wrote:Sweet thanks for the numbers!

I'm 100% confident that weapons get their damage bonus from substance. And I'm something like 95% confident mining power is also substance based.

No clue what Ess and Vit do, although I suspect for bows those values might be important.

Wondering if one of them is grievous-related... I dont care to test it though :S
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

Postby Necroliter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:09 pm

Hervarth wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Sweet thanks for the numbers!

I'm 100% confident that weapons get their damage bonus from substance. And I'm something like 95% confident mining power is also substance based.

No clue what Ess and Vit do, although I suspect for bows those values might be important.

Wondering if one of them is grievous-related... I dont care to test it though :S

My mining power increased with Substance-9 stone axe (cause average Q increased).
Necroliter

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?