new moves

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

maybe bug no idea

Postby spawningmink » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:04 pm

after countless tries i cant learn any new moves, i get the option and que the learn new move thing but when combat is over i dont have any new moves
ChildhoodObossite wrote:I actually lowkey admire Frosty, sometimes he can be a really cool guy

spawningmink
Under curfew

Re: maybe bug no idea

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:07 pm

A learning move initiates an attack with all attack types that actually needs to penetrate opponents defenses for you to learn anything. Merely activating one is not sufficient.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Archiplex » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:19 pm

jorb wrote:A learning move initiates an attack with all attack types that actually needs to penetrate opponents defenses for you to learn anything. Merely activating one is not sufficient.

Does it have a weight?
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Archiplex wrote:
jorb wrote:A learning move initiates an attack with all attack types that actually needs to penetrate opponents defenses for you to learn anything. Merely activating one is not sufficient.

Does it have a weight?

Geometric mean of unarmed and melee combat.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby spawningmink » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 pm

jorb wrote:
Archiplex wrote:

Does it have a weight?

Geometric mean of unarmed and melee combat.

i really dont understand....can you explain the steps to learn a new move
?
ChildhoodObossite wrote:I actually lowkey admire Frosty, sometimes he can be a really cool guy

spawningmink
Under curfew

new moves

Postby spawningmink » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:02 pm

can someone explain all the steps in getting a new move? i just cant seem to figure it out

spawningmink
Under curfew

Re: new moves

Postby Sevenless » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:07 pm

spawningmink wrote:can someone explain all the steps in getting a new move? i just cant seem to figure it out

Fight mob for a while, eventually the "combat discovery" ability comes up. Use that on the mob, and you gain either a new move or an extra point to allocate to a known move in your combat decks.

I think it's 100%? But it might also be a % chance to get something :)
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Archiplex » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:08 pm

spawningmink wrote:i really dont understand....can you explain the steps to learn a new move
?

As you fight animals (perhaps other players?) you have a small chance to gain an attack that attacks all 4 types (Oppressive/sweeping/backhanded/striking, meaning it is blocked by all defensive moves) You need to use this move and penetrate all defenses by having a sufficient amount of UA and MC, or simply use it when the enemy has no defensive moves active.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:10 pm

You get a learning opportunity

The learning opportunity is, when triggered, an attack.

If you hit with the learning opportunity attack, you'll learn one copy of whatever is on the icon.

The attack has all attack types: Striking, Sweeping, Oppressive and Back-Handed.

For weight the learning opportunity attack does not use your value in either unarmed or melee, but rather the geometric mean of both those values. Both unarmed and melee are thus relevant for learning attacks.

As the learning opportunity has all attack types, all blocks the monster has up will catch it. You thus need to whittle away pretty much everything before using the learning opportunity.

You only ever get one opportunity per fight, and you do not always get one.

jorb

Re: new moves

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:12 pm

No need to make multiple threads on the same subject.

jorb

Next

Return to How do I?