new moves

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: maybe bug no idea

Postby Archiplex » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:14 pm

jorb wrote:
You only ever get one opportunity per fight, and you do not always get one.

Are you sure about this? If my memory serves right, I gained two haymakers consecutively when I was practicing on ants before the badger patch.

Also, is there a way to stop abuse situations such as spamming defensive maneuvers from a distance until you gain a learning opportunity, then proccing it, deaggroing and repeat?
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Archiplex wrote:Also, is there a way to stop abuse situations such as spamming defensive maneuvers from a distance until you gain a learning opportunity, then proccing it, deaggroing and repeat?

If you wish to spend your time doing this then I don't consider it abusive. Comes down to a question of us making the AI handling that in a sensible way.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:16 pm

jorb wrote:As the learning opportunity has all attack types, all blocks the monster has up will catch it. You thus need to whittle away pretty much everything before using the learning opportunity.

Just to expand on that, the attack needs not be entirely unblocked in order for you to learn the move, it just needs to not be entirely blocked. Basically, if the learning move would have dealt damage at all if it were an ordinary attack, you get the move that's on it.

Archiplex wrote:Are you sure about this? If my memory serves right, I gained two haymakers consecutively when I was practicing on ants before the badger patch.

Perhaps they were against two different ants that you were fighting at once?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Sevenless » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:23 pm

loftar wrote:
jorb wrote:As the learning opportunity has all attack types, all blocks the monster has up will catch it. You thus need to whittle away pretty much everything before using the learning opportunity.

Just to expand on that, the attack needs not be entirely unblocked in order for you to learn the move, it just needs to not be entirely blocked. Basically, if the learning move would have dealt damage at all if it were an ordinary attack, you get the move that's on it.

Archiplex wrote:Are you sure about this? If my memory serves right, I gained two haymakers consecutively when I was practicing on ants before the badger patch.

Can confirm I've seen multiple move opportunities against two ant swarms.

Just doesn't quite jive with the way jorb worded it, but it makes sense I guess? You're only using abilities against 1 ant, but you get 2 opportunities because of it so it seems a touch off.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Archiplex » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:25 pm

loftar wrote:

I have never fought multiple ants at once due to fear of death, so no. I usually single them out and raid when there is only 1 left, then kill that one + raid again.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Previous

Return to How do I?