Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Postby Kelody » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:47 am

ApocalypsePlease wrote:
The_Lich_King wrote:(things about qualities)

From my understanding, substance decreases hunger on food, and vitality increases feps as they go up. I'll look into what you're saying, I would appreciate your data here :)

Curiosities also have a known formula that is consistent. I am also under the assumption that stat gains on armor use the same modifier, this is probably the most common way all three qualities are weighted together.

On the topic of qualities, armor is very simple: Essence affects deflection (X of X/Y) and Substance affects absorption (Y of X/Y) in the usual square root manner (Q40 is twice as effective as Q10), and Vitality affects wear linearly (Q40 is four times as effective as Q10). Legacy follows the exact same system except all are tied to the one quality.

By maximizing Essence and Vitality and minimizing Substance, could you make armor that lasts nearly forever?
Kelody

Postby ApocalypsePlease » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:45 am

Kelody wrote:By maximizing Essence and Vitality and minimizing Substance, could you make armor that lasts nearly forever?

Technically if you somehow managed to get 0 substance, you could have a piece of armor that never gets destroyed.
Inactive
ApocalypsePlease

Postby Turtlesir » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:31 am

it's probably hardcapped downward to 1 though.
Turtlesir

Postby Vertine » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:27 am

So, can someone comment to me on the state of this wiki? I'm still confused as to what the relationship is to the legacy pages. The top of each page says:

Please consider moving this page to the Legacy Namespace as "Legacy:Peculiar Flotsam" and/or updating this page to reflect the Hafen world.

Yet, I was only able to find one (http://ringofbrodgar.com/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=Legacy%3A&go=Go) real page that seemed to have gone through with these naming conventions. Are other people doing the editing and just not preserving the legacy page?

I also saw some people calling for an overhaul of the project/starting from scratch -- is that still something worth pursuing? IMO this game needs a wiki pretty badly, and if we need someone to take charge on that project, I wouldn't mind doing so (or at least playing a role in a group of people). But there seems to be confusion right now as to the current state of the wiki, how it is meant to be managed, and the preferred direction of the users.

Any thoughts?
Vertine

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:39 am

I can't speak of anyone else, but I'm trying to get a page a day updated to at least the information that is still true for w8, even if I can't get new information in*. It's not easy work. I'd have preferred if everything could have been mass moved to a "world 7" subdirectory, but according to Spiff, the site owner, it just wasn't feasible. (For an example see the "A Tale in the Desert" wiki.)

In the mean time, much of it is here on the forums. Search is your friend.

*I'll note I'm picking and choosing based on my whims. I also have other things to do and do like to play H&H, so don't get to it every day.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Vertine » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:04 am

It seems to me a plausible course of action would be to utilize the old site (http://havenandhearth.wikia.com/wiki/Haven_and_Hearth_Wiki) for Legacy materials and use ROB for current articles (or vice versa, it doesn't really matter).
Vertine

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:06 am

The Wikia site is even horribly out of date for w7. Don't use it. Don't use Wikia. Ever. (Unless you're making a fansite wiki for Twilight, then have fun.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Vertine » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:15 am

I figured the Wikia site was out of date. To be clear, I have no experience running wikis, so I have no real experience with Wikia or what makes it a difficult site to work with.

I suppose the idea of just hosting the different versions side by side isn't a terrible one. The Dwarf Fortress Wiki (sample page: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Silver) actually manages this quite nicely. It's just not clear to me that we got off to a good start with managing the Legacy content in a similar way.
Vertine

Postby SpakyPD » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:35 pm

cerulean19 wrote:I took some quick screenshots of trees and updated the tree page, because I kept wanting to be able to use it as a reference. I'm missing 5 or so, and I'll have time later to fill most of them in.

I was just looking at the tree page, it seems that some legacy information stayed on the page after someone started working on the page.

For example, Elm tree is listed as Broadleaf native terrain. It is definitely spreading Wald tiles. Also it seems that Mulberry is spreading Wald, I might almost suspect that all trees are spreading Wald.

I'd like to remove some information that I am fairly sure is legacy, but I wanted to get some other people's opinions before removing information.

Essentially, I think all of the native terrains, and seed/bark/bough/branch info should be removed and then re-added with current info.

Aside, I've been trying to keep the same equation format in the pages I've worked on. Example:
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Treeplanter's_Pot

Is that equation format good?
SpakyPD

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:38 pm

SpakyPD wrote:For example, Elm tree is listed as Broadleaf native terrain. It is definitely spreading Wald tiles.

All trees spread the same terrain type according to jorb, and reports from players hold this true.

SpakyPD wrote:I'd like to remove some information that I am fairly sure is legacy, but I wanted to get some other people's opinions before removing information.

I say if you can't confirm it for the current world, and the old information was moved to a legacy page as it was supposed to be, then drop it for now. It can always be added back from legacy information when it can be confirmed.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?