Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Postby Aceb » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:41 pm

shubla wrote:Perhaps there should be more encouraging on the wiki to contribute to it. Reminding the public to make small edits if they see that something is wrong or missing.

Which how You handled Your client, I feel like you're the most end-on-the-list person to speak about something here. If You ever want to have right to complain, then help them instead of complaining pal.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby borka » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:46 pm

Too bad shubla is pushing his postcount even by poking at the ppl that care for the ROB Wiki since years ...

Custom client with included ROB Wiki editor anyone ?!? :lol:
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby ricky » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:53 am

borka wrote:Custom client with included ROB Wiki editor anyone ?!? :lol:

if you use amber, ctrl + shift + clicking an inventory item zaps you to that item's wiki page (with some exceptions). great way to quickly fact check and so on and so forth
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby shubla » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:01 am

I am saying that wiki is out of date for many parts, which it is, and suggesting possible solutions for it and you just blame me for insulting you and shitposting.
I think you are the ones only posting in an attempt to get more posts here and to insult me, instead of trying to solve the issue and improve wiki. You are all just hopeless.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:27 am

shubla wrote:I am saying that wiki is out of date for many parts, which it is, and suggesting possible solutions for it and you just blame me for insulting you and shitposting.
I think you are the ones only posting in an attempt to get more posts here and to insult me, instead of trying to solve the issue and improve wiki. You are all just hopeless.

if you think something needs fixed, get off your ass and fix it. Quit waiting around for others and then bitching about how broke it is. If you don't want to be bothered with fixing it, then don't bitch or highlight a problem so others willing to take care of it can deal with it. General malaise about the problem just pisses everyone off that does put hard work into it.

@mvgulik: can a man at least make some attempt at humor? "60% of the time, it works every time!"
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:36 am

I'm not sure who can answer this: Where's that text at that pops up on all the ore pages about smelting? It needs corrected, and I'm not sure where that's generated at/from. Just to note, I'm referring to:
RoB Wiki wrote:Iron Ochre is an Ore, it must be smelted in an Ore Smelter to extract Bar of Cast Iron with 12% chance (% showed with all mining skills), otherwise it smelts into Gneiss. Ore is a type of Stone, so it can also be used as pavement and to build with.

I've tried digging around. The "Ore" page has been updated to read properly (smelting creates Slag) and the slag and dross pages are accurate.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ricky » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 am

Good eye. Those boilerplate messages are created using templates. viewing the source for the page - in this case iron ochre (could be any page with those messages) - will show you the {{infobox....}} information (also a template) and in our case {{SharedData ore...}}. all templates live under the 'template' prefix/namespace, so the easiest way to find what you're looking for is to prepend template: to your search term, in this case SharedData Ore. If you peek under the covers there's tons of other tools that help you find/fetch pages and list of pages. the Special Page Page has a lot of really interesting links for those who like that sort of stuff.

Templates are the real workhorses on the wiki and save an absolute ton of work if done right. They save a lot of time on otherwise repetitive or manual entry; updating the template (like we did with the gneiss/slag situation here) updates all the pages that use that template. It's pretty great. If manual entry/data gathering doesnt suit you, creating interesting templates might be more engaging for those here who are more programming-minded. Hell, the whole infobox is one big (spaghetti-code) template, but it works well for what it is.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks, ricky. I knew it was a template somewhere, and spotted that in the infobox. I just wasn't sure if it was in templates or where and searching wasn't helping. I'm still learning a good bit about getting around the back end of wikis. (I come from programming background, so know the power of reusable assets.)

I see you already edited it. Thanks again.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:59 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
shubla wrote:I am saying that wiki is out of date for many parts, which it is, and suggesting possible solutions for it and you just blame me for insulting you and shitposting.

if you think something needs fixed, get off your ass and fix it. Quit waiting around for others and then bitching about how broke it is. If you don't want to be bothered with fixing it, then don't bitch or highlight a problem so others willing to take care of it can deal with it. General malaise about the problem just pisses everyone off that does put hard work into it.

@mvgulik: can a man at least make some attempt at humor? "60% of the time, it works every time!"

I cannot add any kind of banners to the wiki to remind people to contribute to it. Thus I must ask others to do it.
I don't currently have information about any mechanics that I could add to the wiki. Thus I must ask others to do it, especially as we can be sure that some players DO know about things that are not on the wiki.
Why are you so hostile? Is it because of your personality or nationality?

I personally always add things to wiki when I see something missing that I know myself.
Its just a suggestion.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby mvgulik » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:16 pm

MagicManICT wrote:@mvgulik: can a man at least make some attempt at humor? "60% of the time, it works every time!"

Sure one can.
But if done with (brief) text only, without any potential mode indicators, it can be kinda ambiguous and the text runs a high risk of being taken literally (which I (obviously) did).
mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?