Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Postby not_a_cat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Request: please consider adding .svg format to permitted upload files types
Inline svg would be super fancy too
not_a_cat

Postby mvgulik » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:42 pm

Also on my RoB wish list, so will be requested when talking to Spiff.
(+VipsScaler)
mvgulik

Postby ubersheva » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:24 pm

Page for Mine Supports doesn't say that supports are damaged each time they absorb a cave-in from a mined tile, and eventually break, triggering all cave-ins.
ubersheva

Postby klouyd » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:28 pm

they change colors the more damage they take. just try and repair them often and it wont be a problem
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
klouyd

Postby ubersheva » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:31 pm

klouyd wrote:they change colors the more damage they take. just try and repair them often and it wont be a problem

yes, thanks, i figured that out after the support broke. i wrote here to let wiki editors know that this probably should be added to the page.
ubersheva

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:16 pm

I'd class this as more specifically about mining instructions, not just specifically Mine Supports, which is what that information should be*. Also, that is more general behavior for item damage. You do get an indicator that items are damaged as they turn redder. (I'll note that those with specific forms of color blindness may not be able to detect this.)

There is the caution on the Mine support page:

ROB Wiki wrote:Caution: whenever a mine support is removed, all tiles under it are checked for unstable mine tiles. If there are unstable tiles within range, which are now, with the removal of the mine support, unsupported, the removal will cause a cave in.

While that is discussing intentionally removing supports, it still applies to any support object that gets removed, be it intentionally or inadvertently via damage from other sources--cave ins, cave creatures, etc. The "removal" functionality was added not too long ago (last year or so I think) so that players could rearrange supports for base building underground without causing a huge issue. This probably could use some indication that it is universal--ie a redundant mine support system would help protect the miner more.

*Probably a good idea to move such information to the Mining page, or another "Mining Tutorial" page so it doesn't become redundant on other pages. Opinions?
Last edited by MagicManICT on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added some extra infomation
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ubersheva » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:50 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I'd class this as more specifically about mining instructions, not just specifically Mine Supports, which is what that information should be*. Also, that is more general behavior for item damage. You do get an indicator that items are damaged as they turn redder. (I'll note that those with specific forms of color blindness may not be able to detect this.)

There is the caution on the Mine support page:

ROB Wiki wrote:Caution: whenever a mine support is removed, all tiles under it are checked for unstable mine tiles. If there are unstable tiles within range, which are now, with the removal of the mine support, unsupported, the removal will cause a cave in.

While that is discussing intentionally removing supports, it still applies to any support object that gets removed, be it intentionally or inadvertently via damage from other sources--cave ins, cave creatures, etc. The "removal" functionality was added not too long ago (last year or so I think) so that players could rearrange supports for base building underground without causing a huge issue. This probably could use some indication that it is universal--ie a redundant mine support system would help protect the miner more.

*Probably a good idea to move such information to the Mining page, or another "Mining Tutorial" page so it doesn't become redundant on other pages. Opinions?

Let me reiterate, I suggest adding information that mine supports actually take damage when mining a cave-in tile under it, not information that it turns red when taking damage. This is quite important since cave-ins are nasty, especially mass cave-ins. Can be added to general mining page as well. You have warnings about drowning to death on virtually every page related to water and boats, this is a similar thing.
This is also important to have this information since most items don't take damage while being used - cauldrons dont take damage every time you cook something, so you don't watch for its color while cooking. So when a person reads up on mine supports before using them for the first time warning them on this fact is a good idea.
ubersheva

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 pm

We need a good, basic tutorial that is easy to edit and maintain, not an in-depth guide such as what Sevenless wrote several years ago and has been difficult to keep updated. That's where basic information like this should preside, not on every other page about water, every other page about mining supports, etc. It's what gets wikis out of date and difficult to maintain. I'm not going to be one to write such a tutorial, at least not all of it. I'll be glad to contribute my portion if someone wants to organize a writing group.

I'm also not going to be the one to clutter the wiki more with redundant information in differing locations. As far as the wiki goes, I'm just an occasional contributor, and not one of the admin.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ubersheva » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:20 pm

MagicManICT wrote:We need a good, basic tutorial that is easy to edit and maintain, not an in-depth guide such as what Sevenless wrote several years ago and has been difficult to keep updated. That's where basic information like this should preside, not on every other page about water, every other page about mining supports, etc. It's what gets wikis out of date and difficult to maintain. I'm not going to be one to write such a tutorial, at least not all of it. I'll be glad to contribute my portion if someone wants to organize a writing group.

I'm also not going to be the one to clutter the wiki more with redundant information in differing locations. As far as the wiki goes, I'm just an occasional contributor, and not one of the admin.

Calling an object's core and important mechanic a clutter is a very strange reaction. And mining page says that mining supports allow mining "without any risk of cave-in", which is straight wrong.
Anyway, I just registered and added this information myself.
ubersheva

Postby valeriesusanne » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:38 pm

I originally posted this in "forage in winter", it was suggested I post here. Just an FYI for whoever edits the wiki...(change of subject, sorry)

On the wiki (tables/seasons/forageables) Rainbow Shell and Washed up Bladderwrack are listed as "no data available" for winter. Not sure where to report, but I did find both on Feb 14, 2020, which is technically winter. The rainbow shell was in shallow ocean water (not frozen) just off a completely snow covered coast. The bladderwrack was on skargard, however, that was still showing spots of open terrain. I have since not found any bladderwrack on completely snow covered skargard or beach, but it brings up the old truism that you can't prove something does not exist by not finding it (I have a pet theory about this game: by some algorithm, whatever item shows up in a quest becomes immediately next-to-impossible to find, until after you spend several days wandering around to find it, and once you do, you're stumbling over said item everywhere. Or maybe that's just my sorry luck.) In any case, it would appear that although bladderwrack exists in winter (as does green kelp, so makes sense), the "washed-up" part may depend on ground not covered by snow, even though it doesn't actually "grow" on land. I need to find one more for my quest - I'll let you know if I do and on what terrain
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?