Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Postby Audiosmurf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:38 am

Vegan420 wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:We need a good, basic tutorial that is easy to edit and maintain, not an in-depth guide such as what Sevenless wrote several years ago and has been difficult to keep updated. That's where basic information like this should preside, not on every other page about water, every other page about mining supports, etc. It's what gets wikis out of date and difficult to maintain. I'm not going to be one to write such a tutorial, at least not all of it. I'll be glad to contribute my portion if someone wants to organize a writing group.

I'm also not going to be the one to clutter the wiki more with redundant information in differing locations. As far as the wiki goes, I'm just an occasional contributor, and not one of the admin.

You spent more time arguing than the amount of time it would of helped to add RELEVANT information to the wiki.

Also the current state of the wiki is abominable.
Animal hide has tons of recipes but the wiki only lists like 10
wtf is going on

Positively shocking that someone who calls themselves Vegan420 is self-righteous and annoying.

Anyway. Some silly bullshit happened with the wiki due to a server upgrade, or software upgrade, or something like that. Ricky could explain it better. They're trying to fix it, but it seems more complicated than one might imagine.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby ricky » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:51 am

Vegan420 wrote:wtf is going on

As Audiosmurf mentioned, some server upgrades/maintenance performed by the server owner reset/purged the cache, which held all the retrieved, auto-generated information (such as the required by section of the infobox, as well as essentially every query-generated table :( ) This is however easily fixed. If you're logged in to the wiki, the top of each page will have a refresh button that rebuilds that page's cache. If that page gets data from another page, you will have to refresh that page as well. Yes, this is a pain in the ass, but those are the cards right now.

MagicManICT wrote:We need a good, basic tutorial that is easy to edit and maintain

The closest thing we have to that is The Glossary. This isn't so much a tutorial as, well, a glossary, but I feel it does have a lot of essential information to a new player, though. It's been a few moons since I've maintained it however (for instance satiations are now benched) and needs to be peer reviewed. I personally feel it's a sound springboard for newbies without explicitly telling them how to play the game.

I wish I could keep each in-game mechanic fully updated, but often changes are pushed that are critically important, but warrant only a footnote in the dev patches, making maintenance of the affected pages very tedious. For instance like you mentioned the mine support pages. For instance, a small patch made over a year ago affecting how mine-supports take damage and are repaired was added to the wiki just a month ago. And we've essentially never had information or guides on combat due to how often it changes.

And again, if there's anything you guys want to see added/implemented/fixed you should ask here or in the discord.

MagicManICT wrote:As far as the wiki goes, I'm just an occasional contributor, and not one of the admin.

Funny how those things work out.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:50 am

ricky wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:As far as the wiki goes, I'm just an occasional contributor, and not one of the admin.

Funny how those things work out.

As the old saying goes...

If people would spend more time making proposed changes on "talk pages" rather than arguing about why something should be added, it might be a bit easier to agree or disagree... and again, I'm not a writer, I'm a technical person, so no, I'm not going to be the one making such things as tutorials or updating large sections of the wiki because they're poorly written... odds are I've probably written a few of those pages myself and have at least made an attempt at creating a functional wiki.

If you think you can do a good job, !!please!!, make an account and help. Even all you can do is fill in a few missing items, it'll be a help. I may not be a good writer, but I do know the mechanics of English and can spell well enough to make such updates if someone else can get the right ideas on digital paper.

Finally, any proposed changes to how a page is laid out, be it on a talk page or a personal page should be argued and discussed, especially if information might be missing or it complicates the maintenance of the wiki (such as duplicate information on multiple pages).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby mvgulik » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:22 pm

Missing SMW data:

A Manual:Purge#Null_edits on the infobox templates perhaps. (for starters)
(updating takes some time. Speed related to page-viewing activity on RoB (more page views, higher speed))
(Not a Admin limited action, with the exception for one infobox templated) ... (Any registered user: Pre-check if one might not already be in progress, other wise you might just be extending the problem instead of fixing it)

(MagicManICT: Don't recall if an Special:Administration database rebuild would help here. As its MW related and not SMW related.)

Telling users they have to fix that on a page by page case ... :roll:
mvgulik

Postby Oddity » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:18 am

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Precious_Snowflake

New curiosity I found today, was surprised to find nothing on forum or wiki when I searched. (could have sworn someone suggested it recently though)
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Kamekono » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:36 pm

I'm trying to update the seasons info. If anyone noticed any winter related thing that isn't there already, please add it (or let me know)
Kamekono

Postby jacksonblu » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:40 am

I recorded almost all of the unique quests that I got while completing the Mystic credo. While I completed at least 50 quests, I'm sure the following list isn't comprehensive, and I may have missed a few of the possible quests.

Bring/Study:
Crude Idol
Dark Effigy
Enthroned Toad (?)
Grand Haruspex
Mirkwood Offering
Ouroboros
Rattle-Tattle-Talisman
Seer's Bones
Seer's Spindle
Seer's Stones
Seer's Tealeaves
Other Seer's curios (?)
Oakspire
Wishbone
Hand Impression
Fishy Eyeball
Bloated Eyeball
Stalagoom
Horrible Knot
Still Life
Mole's Pawbone
Poppycaps

//

Create artifact for lore/will/psyche
Gain lore/will(?)/psyche

Get high on pipestuff/hempstuff/opium

Catch Opium Dragon

Talk to questgiver

//

Experience:
"Ancient Windthrow"
"Heart of the Woods"
"Crashing Through the Forest"
"A Talking Tree"
"Conversant Boulder"
"By Weeping Willows"
other events (?)

If someone wants to update the wiki to make the potential quests more specific, that would be great. I'm also working on more specific quest lists for Quarryman, Miner, and eventually Cave Hermit, so hopefully we can get their potential quest lists to be more specific as well.
jacksonblu

Postby Reviresco » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:57 pm

Cachalot doesn't appear on the Creatures page (at least for me).
Reviresco

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:18 am

jacksonblu wrote:Bring/Study:

Doesn't look like there's any theme to this and it could be any curio. Only thing I'm not seeing are "toys" and smithing curios.

jacksonblu wrote:If someone wants to update the wiki to make the potential quests more specific, that would be great. I'm also working on more specific quest lists for Quarryman, Miner, and eventually Cave Hermit, so hopefully we can get their potential quest lists to be more specific as well.

It would be very hard to maintain accuracy since we're not working with the generated data set from the server like you do in other games. My opinion is to keep general with the quest categories you're going to run into and possibly subsets of extra information (such as rite & ritual curios, hunting curios, fishing curios, foraging curios, etc) when possible.

Reviresco wrote:Cachalot doesn't appear on the Creatures page (at least for me).

that's because it's simply a table and nobody has added it rather than it being generated by the wiki from the database. It does appear in the proper Category page. I added Cachalot to the index with the proper linking, but didn't fill in any of the extra data.

Side note: this is why we talk about "ease of maintenance" of the wiki. If we can get things to where some pages, such as indexes like this, can be autogenerated, they become easy to maintain when new things are added. However, manually created pages become a cascade of manual edits whenever a single thing is added to the game. This is where people complain that the wiki gets out of date, etc.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Necrisha » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:03 pm

I just noticed in the Wiki under fishing, Salmon is listed under river/lake fish. I was catching a lot of Salmon in my local area in the Ocean over the winter. (I didn't do any river/lake fishing during winter)

Salmon may have changed to be caught in different areas according to season. Has anyone caught salmon in lakes/rivers during the spring?
Necrisha

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?