Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Postby meus » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:05 pm

The above is great, but you should always do "the minesweeper" in case you want to mine as much as possible.
Sometimes it's a few "bad" tiles that cause dust in a much larger area. By counting you can make sure exactly where these are, and mine safely even into "dust".

And later you can come and put a mine support to mine the rest, once you've provided enough clearance.
meus

Postby vatas » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:29 pm

If you've opened dozen livestock inspect windows and want to get rid of them, easiest way (if you don't want to simply leave the area or go into house) is to click one of them to make it active and then spam Escape key, it will close them one by one.

Tags: animal management
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MadNomad » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:27 pm

if an object only uses one variable texture, then you can use a higher amount of one material, and other materials of the same type in smaller quantity than this one, thus having your object with the texture of the most used material while using cheaper ones rather than this one

I've recently seen a film of some person wasting gold by using 10 bars of gold for royal throne, rather than 2 bars of gold and 8 types of other metals, so maybe someone will save resources if they notice this :D

Tags: ResourceSaving
Last edited by MadNomad on Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadNomad

Postby vatas » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:56 am

If you're unable to use a "jump" of "canal" trail with a ship, simply try approaching the starting milestone from a different angle.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby vatas » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:26 pm

If you use multiple characters (alts), always name your Bond of Blood & Soils or otherwise you risk taking a break and coming back having no idea where this unnamed claim on this one alt is.

You can use riddle or your native language, anything you're certain you can decipher even after forgetting about it for a while to make it harder for gankers to determine the exact location of your claim in case you do get ganked.

vatas

Postby MadNomad » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:47 pm

when travelling with a horse in the mountains, you can walk on foot and have him tied to rope while you walk in order to save pony power for the time when you need it

you can also use cave entrances if your trap is far away from your current location, and then wait for pony power to regen

Tags: hunting, mountains, mammoths, goats, reindeer, wolves, horse, pony, running, rope, CaveEntrances
MadNomad

Postby ThorleifCleaver » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:09 pm

vatas wrote:If you're unable to use a "jump" of "canal" trail with a ship, simply try approaching the starting milestone from a different angle.

And/or use the jump without your ship and add an extra waypoint that exits as directly and deeply into the water as possible, assuming the original builder failed to take this into account. Many do. Other sailors will thank you.
ThorleifCleaver

Postby vatas » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:34 am

ThorleifCleaver wrote:And/or use the jump without your ship

This, the trail could've decayed or been vandalized in parts (especially if it's long enough that you don't see the entire trail.) This may be easily fixed by building one or two replacement waypoints along the way.

Also, trees may have naturally grown to block the trail.

ThorleifCleaver wrote:and add an extra waypoint that exits as directly and deeply into the water as possible, assuming the original builder failed to take this into account. Many do. Other sailors will thank you.

To be absolutely clear, the last waypoint has to point to the water like this:
If possible, use a cape/point extending to the water from mainland to have as much open water around the waypoint as possible.

vatas

Postby Tubby_Squirrel » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:01 am

'Quilled' injury can be avoided by simply punching a hedgehog to death instead of picking it up alive to wring neck.
Tubby_Squirrel

Postby NickRom0 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:43 am

Just recently found out. Maybe not pro-tips, but for beginners it will be useful:
1) You can sail in a boat through the swamp without fear of leeches and at a higher speed than when walking. Checked on dugout
2) If you see a person sailing on a rowing boat with a load, you can rob him very easily. Right click on the cargo and run away ;-)) I myself recently became a victim of such a robbery, and the fact that the cargo disappeared was noticed only at the base.
NickRom0

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?