Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Postby vatas » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:23 pm

This has been said before but I'll repeat it here since it crossed my mind.

Maintain a stash of medicine all times. Especially if you play on one character only and would have to go wander outside your base while wounded.

Gauze is versatile and rather easy to acquire once you know how. Here's a guide on how to get wool from a mouflon.

Tags: healing, wounds, injury
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Necrisha » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:58 pm

vatas wrote:Maintain a stash of medicine all times. Especially if you play on one character only and would have to go wander outside your base while wounded.
Tags: healing, wounds, injury

This 100%! having a few sprigs of yarrow handy and a round or two of ant paste can make all the difference in the world with regards to midge swarms. Allergic reactions are a pain to deal with and blow chunks, especially early in. Mud ointment, leeches and stinging poultices for cave ins and critter attacks, and yes it is worth nabbing first aid for gauze as soon as you can.
Necrisha

Postby vatas » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:34 am

Tubby_Squirrel wrote:'Quilled' injury can be avoided by simply punching a hedgehog to death instead of picking it up alive to wring neck.

Game Development: Liberty Shrimp:

jorb wrote:Hedgehogs now give "Quill'd" wounds if you attempt to punch them.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby vatas » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:32 pm

You can use (A)dventure -< (D)estroy even when you are carrying a lifted object and you would assume that your hands were too busy for that.

Unfortunately I only remembered this AFTER I took the risk and lost, deleting the boat I was carrying because my character could not throw it over a pile of 3 sticks.

Side tip: pre-emptively clean the area near your Hearth Fire.

Tags: Destroy, Bash, Break

vatas

Postby vatas » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:05 am

Managing your energy:

*You will lose your sanity if you try to simultaneously spend all the energy you get from food and raise Attributes with any seriousness.

*Of course, if you know you need to chop down 10-20 trees, you should do that first and then go for feasting session. (assuming you have at least enough energy to chop down those trees.)

*Optimal play is still to have at least one alt who labours and eats less than optimally with focus on easily recovering that energy.

*Outsourcing labour to alt has the benefit of less exposure, you could get attacked by an animal or hostile player while chopping those trees, after all.

vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:26 pm

vatas wrote:Managing your energy:

*You will lose your sanity if you try to simultaneously spend all the energy you get from food and raise Attributes with any seriousness.
*Of course, if you know you need to chop down 10-20 trees, you should do that first and then go for feasting session. (assuming you have at least enough energy to chop down those trees.)
*Optimal play is still to have at least one alt who labours and eats less than optimally with focus on easily recovering that energy.
*Outsourcing labour to alt has the benefit of less exposure, you could get attacked by an animal or hostile player while chopping those trees, after all.

Make slave alts that only eat for energy and have the dumbest shittiest stats ever, as jorb intended, by making energy management and the food system so tedious.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Odynak » Mon May 01, 2023 7:40 pm

Just in case some one does not know how to drown your horse. Here is a little tip.
horse-drowned.jpg
horse-drowned.jpg (191.72 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Odynak

Postby vatas » Tue May 23, 2023 3:24 pm

If you are doing a Credo that can have underground quest givers, go down layers in your home base to see when the quest pointer disappears:

No quest pointer at layer 1: quest giver is at the surface.

Quest pointer at X layer: quest giver is on this layer on one below. Use process of elimination to find out when pointer disappears, and explore the deepest layer where the pointer still appears.

vatas

Postby vatas » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:02 pm

VDZ wrote:
vatas wrote:Thought I'd share this screenshot showing the fresh-spawn characters properly-set up deck. Exact order doesn't matter but I found 4 to be ergonomic button to spam and 1-3 for defenses feels good and intuitive. I added Left Hook as well but it's kind of unnecessary, I think it's just best to use punch in this situation (more cards of it than hook.) You can probably use either but you have to commit to the choice of one within the fight, as they make different openings. Remember to select one of the "unused saves" for the "save" button to actually save your deck.

Tags: Combat, Deck, Tutorial

For intuitiveness, I like to put my restorations (defenses) on 1-5 and my attacks on Shift+1-5. That way, even if I get caught off-guard and panic and press the wrong buttons, I'm still lowering my openings rather than getting cooldowns from attacks I didn't intend to do. Where possible, I also try put the attacks in the same numbers as the restorations of the same color, so '1' is always dark blue (Sidestep/Left Hook), '2' is always green (Quick Dodge/Punch), and '3' is always yellow (Jump/Haymaker). That consistency reduces potential for confusion in hectic situations.

Telling new player to set up their deck at least so that 1-5 only has (at distance) restorations is perhaps one of the best or at least bandwith effective advice you can give to a new player. Running away is hardenough without wrong key-press telling character to "turn around and punch the bear in the face."

Having to use Shift+NumKey for restorations also has a massive downside I just ran into: you end up holding shift down and when you right-click a house or minehole to escape an animal, you end up previewing the place instead of entering.

vatas

Re: Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread

Postby Ella11 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:24 am

MagicManICT wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Tip No. 7

How to hide your shit :D

Awesome!! howver, can that be seen from the back, or does the cupboard clip it? Would it still be hidden if someone implements short/flat cupboards?

Just saying it may be safe from now, but may not stay that way (and not even figuring in private mods and clients).

The visibility of the "Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread" behind a cupboard would depend on the specific placement and design of the cupboard. Short or flat cupboards may partially or fully obscure the thread. It's important to consider that privacy and visibility can change over time due to modifications and individual preferences. Ongoing discussions and considerations are essential to maintain the thread's accessibility while accounting for potential alterations and privacy concerns. Thanks
Ella11

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?