Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Postby vatas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:06 pm

I'll mention this here just in case, as a newbie or returning player without tools and stuff, you should collect the trash piles found in beaches. It seems that some people intentionally throw useful stuff in the water. I got some hq crops and I've even heard reports of people getting metal tools out of them.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:44 am

vatas wrote:I'll mention this here just in case, as a newbie or returning player without tools and stuff, you should collect the trash piles found in beaches. It seems that some people intentionally throw useful stuff in the water. I got some hq crops and I've even heard reports of people getting metal tools out of them.

Doesn't even have to be into water anymore. Anything dropped on the ground and allowed to despawn goes into the global trash pool, too. (You can also find some of this stuff when digging up dirt.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 am

I'm under impression that water trash pool is global while digging trash is local.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:09 am

If anything, the two are separate, but pretty sure both are global... I'd have to look back through old patch notes where they were implemented. you might be right, though. (A quick search wasn't finding the specific patch notes. I'll try to dig them out later today to be sure.)

I was more mentioning it as big dirt moving projects can sometimes yield decent items, too, not just beach combing.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:49 am

well, I was landscaping a lot this world (especially on start) and might admit - I've dug out a lot of tree-products, that can't be local (some trees were not growing on the whole continent) so I personally doubt trash pool is local (and I never saw any proofs of it - just someone threw away this statement and ppl keep retelling it)
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby ctopolon4 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:32 am

you can use salt water to tanning
ctopolon4

Postby Ants » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:13 am

It's a good idea to have a "library" in your village so everyone can unlock crafting recipes easily. It's particularly useful for alts or to regain knowledge after dying.

By library, I mean a house with cabinets full of item descriptions. Like this:
Last edited by Ants on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby vatas » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:04 am

I found q611 turnip in beach trash a while back and initially planned to hoard it until my farming matches, but then had a better idea. I planted it and when I harvested it I took one and hoarded that instead, leaving me 3 other turnips to plant and multiply. I didn't get q reduce the first time and even in worst case you only lose 5 quality points.

Tags: high q, crop, beach trash

vatas

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Beach trash is awesome ... I found a 185q Troll Helm pretty close to the start of the world that made a huge difference to my well being as a newbie char. I'm sure it wasn't intentionally thrown away but none-the-less once the world is under way I know a few ppl, including myself, who do intentionally throw in outdated tools, seeds, gilded clothes, etc as we go along ... I also leave bigger items, such as looms, anvils and so on at a near by lake ... which is known now by the locals and regularly collected. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby vatas » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:54 pm

If you live in a grassland biome and need to create a Wald for your tree farm, stomp* an area into dirt and plant lots of lowq trees from wild seeds with mass-produced herb tables and pots. At least mulberries I planted on dirt started spawning Wald almost immediately.

*Depending on terrain elevation, it might be better to just flatten it as this also creates dirt as long as dirt is dug/applied.

Tags: Forestry, Terraforming

vatas

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?