How did I lose all my Aurochs?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How did I lose all my Aurochs?

Postby fecal » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:38 am

Alright everybody. Day 3 on Taming for me. Day 1 we clovered four Aurochs and hitched them. Day 2 we punched them out just like it says in Sevenless's guide. Day 3 we punch one cow out successfully, we go mining. Come back and we see another cow ready to fight. It leaves combat stance as I go to attack it, but I still do attack. I also accidentally hit pursue instead of click the swords this time. I punch it until it retreats and runs, only then do I peace the cow. I'm like fuck. I try to rope it. It trashes, I go to clover, and it just stands in my face for ten minutes with me holding out the clover, never bites it. So I get mad attack it, and kill it. Skin it, and I'm like holy shit they give two hide's? This causes me to wonder if it was a bug, so I leave my base in search of a new Auroch to kill. Find the Auroch, kill it, bring it back to base. AND.... My other three Aurochs that were previously hitched are missing. Nobody else was inside my base.

Where did I go wrong.

Also I will have a video up of this in a few hours, if maybe that information will help.
fecal

Re: How did I lose all my Aurochs?

Postby Glorthan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:18 am

Did you rehitch the other aurochs after your taming session? Initiating combat unhitches them so they need to be rehitched afterwards.
Glorthan

Postby kilakan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:24 am

People can also aggro your aurochs over the walls, causing them to break the ropes. They then later despawn.
World 2-7:Random Nonsense
World 8: Lawspeaker of R'lyeh
World 9:Lawspeaker of R'lyeh/Tartarus
World 10:Lawspeaker of R'lyeh
kilakan

Postby dantheman540 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:50 am

Come back and we see another cow ready to fight. It leaves combat stance as I go to attack it, but I still do attack. I also accidentally hit pursue instead of click the swords this time. I punch it until it retreats and runs, only then do I peace the cow. I'm like fuck. I try to rope it. It trashes, I go to clover, and it just stands in my face for ten minutes with me holding out the clover, never bites it. So I get mad attack it, and kill it. Skin it

Where did I go wrong. [/quote]

Really dude? Really?
dantheman540

Postby fecal » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Just going to ignore Dan's comment, because, really dude?

As far as what Glorthan suggested I don't really think thats the case. Because I did 6 taming sessions over 4 aurochs, and each time I only had to rehitch the one cow I did a taming session on, not the other three as well. This can be verified because we you go to re hitch the auroch you get the error message for trying to put it on a post that another auroch is hitched to it.

Kilakan may be right here, but I still find it highly unlikely. I live in the middle of nowhere, have only had one person come by my base while I am online, one of my neighbors, and none of them have been online in a few days. Also since my Aurochs were right up against my palisade, should someone have aggro'd them, wouldn't they have broke down the palisade, or at least ticked it for damage before they got out of aggro range? However this would also explain why I saw the cow in fighting stance, but he had left it by the time I attacked. Because if he was aggro'd vs a player, he wouldn't stay in the stance for the typical 3-6 hours. But when I saw him in the fighting stance, there was nobody on my minimap, or signs of external presence.
fecal

Postby Garfy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:17 pm

If you beat down any animal during a taming attempt, you should always rehitch it afterwards. I've never had a problem with taming because I always do this, but I've read plenty of reports of people not rehitching animals only to have them vanish (one person even said he went inside to get a rope, and when he came out the animal had despawned).
Garfy

Postby fecal » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:45 pm

Yeah I think there has been some miscommunication here.

Every time I beat up one of my cows I re hitched it.

However on the very last attempt. I had 4 cows hitched. 1 went into combat, or so I thought. I attacked it and failed to yeild properly. It retreated it. I couldn't rehitch it. I couldn't clover it (Well the game let me try, but it bugged and the cow got stuck on top of me.) so I killed the one cow. That still leaves three cows that were hitched and not combated that disappeared. I thought you were implying I had to rehitch every cow in the vicinity after each taming effect on just one cow. My apologies.
fecal

Postby dantheman540 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:42 am

Ok, well putting the jokes aside for a moment, if they were hitched they shouldn't have gone anywhere. The only thing I can think of, is maybe the one that 'fled' somehow destroyed the posts the other cows were hitched too. Failing that, maybe post this in the bugs section and see what jorb says?
dantheman540

Postby Glorthan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:56 am

The most likely cause then is that they were aggroed from outside.
Glorthan

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:07 pm

There is a bug discussion on this: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=44579
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to How do I?