Visitor Buff Q&A

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Visitor Buff Q&A

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Here's what we know about it so far. I'm primarily posting this for a summary explanation and anything else people want to add to it. I've gathered what I saw most frequently from the patch notes here.

What is a Visitor buff?
A visitor buff prevents a character from doing any actions that would leave scents while on the associated claim.

How did I get it?
Any time a player crosses through an open gate on any claim, they are given the buff. One buff per claim. If you enter a village through a gate, you get a buff for that village. If you then visit someone in that village on their personal claim, you get another buff if you pass through a gate for that personal claim.

But I'm friends with Joe Schmoe. How can I help him build stuff and work together?
As I mentioned the buff only prevents you from leaving scents. If you are a kin and have been given permissions, or have permissions from anything else (such as being in a party), you don't leave scents, and so can go about your intended business without being blocked by the buff.

I entered through someone's gates, but he locked me inside. Now what?
You're stuck and you'll have to hearth home. I guess you shouldn't enter random claims or follow people you don't trust.

I was attacked by raiders and I'm on the run. Will running through my open gates protect me?
If you flee through your gates with the engagement ongoing, the pursuer isn't blocked from continuing the fight. The crime scents are left when you are attacked. New scents aren't left until the engagement is broken and someone attacks you again.

Note that I've read at least one report at this time that the buff icon does not go away when you leave the claim, but that the buff is no longer affecting the character.

I'm not sure how murder scents are left, so didn't want to add that in to my last question and make any false assumption that running into your claim while being pursued might protect their life at the cost of some HHP.
Last edited by MagicManICT on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added in the link to the patch notes; forgot to do this when I posted.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Re: Visitor Buff Q&A

Postby maze » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:09 pm

When being attacked~ you can run into your village. they will get the visitor de/buff
Running into your village, and then into a house. they can not enter houses with visitor de/buff (unless permission have been given o/c)
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Sevenless » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Question: Since they can't leave new scents, does that mean if the pursuers knock someone out they can't attack the person again for the kill? Assuming of course the person wasn't instakilled by the killing blow.

Edit: oh you mentioned not knowing. Aight. Well leaving the question for devs if they see this.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Sevenless wrote:Question: Since they can't leave new scents, does that mean if the pursuers knock someone out they can't attack the person again for the kill? Assuming of course the person wasn't instakilled by the killing blow.

Edit: oh you mentioned not knowing. Aight. Well leaving the question for devs if they see this.

Or someone that does know or tests it and is willing to share results. :)

Intuition about the system says to me that one could beat another to within an inch of their life as long as it was not a killing blow. The practical side of me says one shouldn't be allowed to do more damage to an unconscious character. The rational side says that neither of these are likely right and there is no point in guessing if being wrong is going to have miserable consequences.

@Maze: thanks. I didn't even think of entering buildings, etc as requiring black skills and thus leaving scents. Derp. There's the protection from death if you're running from a fight, I guess.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby maze » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:04 pm

@MagicManICT: Np, I'll try the murdering an alt once my villages mate get on for the sake of science.

also i'm nearl 99% sure live stock can still be attacked and killed~ as it currently does not leave a scent.
just make sure to lock up your cattle and not let em roam around :D
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:05 pm

maze wrote:also i'm nearl 99% sure live stock can still be attacked and killed~ as it currently does not leave a scent.
just make sure to lock up your cattle and not let em roam around

Will look at it.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Return to How do I?