Couple of combat questions.

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Couple of combat questions.

Postby LaserSaysPew » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:26 am

Image
What does delta stand for in stances like Oak or Combat Meditation?

Also what does weight difference actually do? It doesn't do anything for restorations I suppose but what does it do for attacks? Increase/decrease openings they do? If delta stands for that same difference, why is it not mentioned in all attack formulas then?
User avatar
LaserSaysPew
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Couple of combat questions.

Postby julian12it » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:20 pm

The "Δ" I believe stands for the delta you have against your opponent (The difference in stats). With oak stance, it's near impossible to get 100% openings by just casting the skills (ex. flex, punch, side punch). To be given 80-100% opening, they'll have to "Opportunity Knocks" you. To go more into detail, the higher the opening, the harder it gets due to "Your greatest opening is reduced by %5·Δ."

The weight shown is your Unarmed combat * 150% * μ. The formula just indicates that it uses your UA for the defense such as "Shield Up" uses MC.

The differences between Oak Stance and Combat Meditation:
Oak Stance:
- Reduces openings given by 50%
- Prevents you from getting 100% openings, allowing for a more tanky aspect of combat.
- More defense if opponents delta higher

Combat Meditation:
- Reduces openings given by 25%
- Your cooldown will be decreased by the amount that Combat Meditation is charged
- Can be used as a combo against others
- More cooldown reduction if opponents delta higher


If this doesn't answer your question, please clarify what more that you need.
User avatar
julian12it
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:01 pm
Location: Bay of Pigs

Re: Couple of combat questions.

Postby LaserSaysPew » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks for the answer!
Difference in what stats? Combat weights or agi/something else? Getting 100% opening is impossible with every stance, since you need an attack that gives 100% opening to do that, otherwise there will always be some left.
There is nothing in Combat Meditation description about it reducing openings given by 25%. Nor there is in Oak Stance description.(there is a 150% UA weight in OS, I guess you were referring to that but I don't think it's actually 50% less openings, it's 50% more UA block weight and the difference in weights doesn't scale linearly)
Also: delta symbol in mathematics means the difference(let's say the difference between opp's attack weight and your defense weight which seems to be the case). Opp's weight is 100, your def weight is 150. Delta would be 150-100=50. "Your greatest opening is reduced by 5% * 50" xD I think 250% is wrong for sure ^^ Is it 150/100=1.5? Is there a limit to that difference?

Another question:
About this μ symbol. I know it means the ammount of cards (1 to 5) in your deck, but is it ALWAYS 1 for 1 card and 1.5 for 5 cards?
User avatar
LaserSaysPew
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Couple of combat questions.

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Delta is actually ratio here, ie your UA / opponent UA, but it's not the raw number but rather the third root of it (IIRC).

And it says in Combat Meditation and Oak Stance that weight of all your attacks is 25% and 50% respectively while these maneuvers are active.
Image Bottleneck
User avatar
Potjeh
 
Posts: 11498
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Couple of combat questions.

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Potjeh wrote:Delta is actually ratio here, ie your UA / opponent UA, but it's not the raw number but rather the third root of it (IIRC).


Thought it was skill value of the attack vs skill value of the defense (maneuver), so could be UA vs MC. Each is modified by weight. This is what makes shield up a strong defense for not a lot of LP investment, but overall not the best idea because you lose a lot of the functionality that oak stance, bloodlust, or combat med gives.
jorb wrote:You'll learn, I figure.
User avatar
MagicManICT
 
Posts: 14275
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:47 am

Re: Couple of combat questions.

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:26 pm

You're right, I was just trying to simplify the explanation.
Image Bottleneck
User avatar
Potjeh
 
Posts: 11498
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Couple of combat questions.

Postby LaserSaysPew » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:34 pm

LaserSaysPew wrote:Thanks for the answer!
Difference in what stats? Combat weights or agi/something else? Getting 100% opening is impossible with every stance, since you need an attack that gives 100% opening to do that, otherwise there will always be some left.
There is nothing in Combat Meditation description about it reducing openings given by 25%. Nor there is in Oak Stance description.(there is a 150% UA weight in OS, I guess you were referring to that but I don't think it's actually 50% less openings, it's 50% more UA block weight and the difference in weights doesn't scale linearly)
Also: delta symbol in mathematics means the difference(let's say the difference between opp's attack weight and your defense weight which seems to be the case). Opp's weight is 100, your def weight is 150. Delta would be 150-100=50. "Your greatest opening is reduced by 5% * 50" xD I think 250% is wrong for sure ^^ Is it 150/100=1.5? Is there a limit to that difference?

Another question:
About this μ symbol. I know it means the ammount of cards (1 to 5) in your deck, but is it ALWAYS 1 for 1 card and 1.5 for 5 cards?


Oh, sry, I misread "openings given" as "openings received".
So...third root. To have my attack give twice openings listed on it I need to have 8 times more attack weigh than my target's defense weight?
And another question if I may. Do these weights affect restorations in any way? Like make them restore more % than listed?
User avatar
LaserSaysPew
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Couple of combat questions.

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:58 pm

You have the mu weight of the card, and that does increase amount restored.
jorb wrote:You'll learn, I figure.
User avatar
MagicManICT
 
Posts: 14275
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:47 am

Re: Couple of combat questions.

Postby iamahh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 pm

5℅ = 5 (1/100) = 5/100 = 0.05
iamahh
 
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Couple of combat questions.

Postby Necroliter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:48 am

From my tests amount of cards is irrelevant for MC attacks, which is damn shame. Apparently weight of all weapons were set to 0 in some update.
This is one of the reason why MC is inferior in PvP and end-game. There is no point in using more than 1 card of MC attack. (the only exception is Full Circle, which actually factor MC in card calculation).
Necroliter
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 pm


Return to How do I?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lojka and 9 guests