Mines are scary!

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Mines are scary!

Postby Xhodan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:50 pm

So I tried mining for the first time... that didn't go well, had the entire cave collapse on me, thankfully I'm not dead. I've tried to look for guides on how to mine but really haven't found anything useful.

Anybody have any good links I could look at regarding the subject?
Xhodan

Re: Mines are scary!

Postby azrid » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Build mine supports out of metal bar+blocks of wood
Or learn to mine without supports.
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Mining
azrid

Postby Tanchist » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:39 pm

It's basically a minesweeper game, with cave dust fallen from the ceiling being the numbers in minesweeper.
Just like in Minesweeper, the most dangerous part is when you start mining, because nothing can tell you if you have a "minesweeper bomb" first square that you dig in the cavern's wall. But from there you continue exactly like when playing minesweeper. Please, do not forget to mark by paving the squares that gave you cave dust when mined. Otherwise, after a while cave dust will despawn anyway and you are left blind.

The only significant difference between minesweeper and H&H mining is that after you already have metal bars to throw for nothing much (so you don't actually need to keep on mining for ores anymore, to be honest), then you can use a bar and 16 logs to make a mine support. The "minesweeper bombs"/"squares that provoke cave-ins when mined" (it's the same thing) will not detonate/cave-in when you click them if they are inside a mine support radius. But if you ever decide to destroy some ugly/badly placed mine support, you are guaranteed to get a cave-in no matter what the minesweeper game would say about it. So try to think before placing mine supports, place as few as possible and never remove one or more of them.

Just think your ore might produce like an average of 2 bars per 25 mined ores. (25 is a full smelter's capacity.) So if you need to place a mine support to mine out 10 ore squares, you might be actually wasting bars instead of getting bars if you place the mine support and mine the ore. If that is the case, save yourself the trouble and simply mine somewhere else, where you do not need supports to get the ores. If you need supports just to keep on prospecting the mineable area looking for the ores you need in the direction you want to go prospecting, then definitely the direction is wrong and what you need is to prospect somewhere else, not to waste bars on prospecting for ores.
Wastelands. Ruins everywhere from proud civilizations, with today's survivors scavenging whatever they can carry even if they can't even use it. Eating rats cooked alive is OK for everyone. Walking around naked is natural, since very few have time to waste in getting a rag to cover their deep wounds. And the game is only Alpha.
Tanchist

Postby sentymental » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:03 am

By the way, can cave-ins caused by destroying a support demolish buildings/containers/palisade?

edit: Uhm, I guess I found it out by myself... Damn.
sentymental

Postby agweber » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Tanchist wrote:Please, do not forget to mark by paving the squares that gave you cave dust when mined.

I had always placed stockpiles where dust had fallen, but good lord does this make so much more sense.

sentymental wrote:By the way, can cave-ins caused by destroying a support demolish buildings/containers/palisade?

edit: Uhm, I guess I found it out by myself... Damn.

Was wondering about this the other day when I was considering restyling my older supports to match my newer ones. Gonna guess they do considering your edit.
agweber

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:30 pm

agweber wrote:
Tanchist wrote:Please, do not forget to mark by paving the squares that gave you cave dust when mined.

I had always placed stockpiles where dust had fallen, but good lord does this make so much more sense.

Over the long term, the stockpiles are probably smarter, but are prone to being messed with by players that wander through. Either way, get a scheme for marking a position as the amount of dust that falls is the same indicator as in a minesweeper board.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby tigerlrg245 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:46 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
agweber wrote:

Over the long term, the stockpiles are probably smarter, but are prone to being messed with by players that wander through. Either way, get a scheme for marking a position as the amount of dust that falls is the same indicator as in a minesweeper board.

Wow, didn't realize you get an amount of dust according to how many blocks will cause a collaps, now my minesweeper skills are going to pay off even more
tigerlrg245

Postby youcanyouwill » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:58 pm

Sorry for late post. I know "Mines are scary!" but if Minesweeper game you forgot fear.
Last edited by youcanyouwill on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
youcanyouwill

Postby vatas » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:00 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
agweber wrote:

I used to be stern stockpile-guy but with decay changed, you're effectively forced to pave if you want to be sure.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby AlexNT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:05 pm

vatas wrote:I used to be stern stockpile-guy but with decay changed, you're effectively forced to pave if you want to be sure.

How do you folks denote the quantity? Do you carry different color rocks? That always seemed like too much of a hassle to me.

Xhodan wrote:the entire cave collapse on me,

Wait till you get jumped by 4-5 boreworms out of nowhere, like I did the first time I set foot into a cave on lvl4.
AlexNT

Next

Return to How do I?