how do you tame a horse and what stats ?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: how do you tame a horse and what stats ?

Postby masamune03 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Ok I tried and I failed... I think it is because I throw a punch or two before clicking on the sword icon top right.... I was dealing like 15 damage each hit so I don't think I was dealing too much damage, just the peace thing I guess.

But yes with the boat, it is really safe. The only issue is running from the hitchpost to the water but luckily I'm not far (I take 2/3 hits before being in the boat). And for everyone wanting to try it too, it is really safe if you have take aim to have ip before using chop for example.

EDIT : And just to be sure, the horse was in the hitch post for a long time, and he was agitated (like angry, and when I tried to rope him, he didn't want to), so I used the "attack!" button to aggro it to tame it.
masamune03

Postby AntiBlitz » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:13 am

when you click the sword icon should have nothing to do with if you tame it or not. Sounds like you did everything right. I believe earlier in this thread Granger or somebody made mention that it might not work in a boat anymore. Might i suggest you try the tried and true method of just encapsulating the little sucker in stones. They cant break the stones, and you can pass by them, but the horse cant, as his hitbox is larger. This will give you the same benefit as the boat, and you wont have to run as far.

Just chip the stones until they are small enough to be carried off.
AntiBlitz

Postby Granger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:23 pm

The approach with the stones might also fail as of the mechanic I suspect to have been added (animal not able to reach you = taming fail).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby masamune03 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:01 am

Mmh I guess I'll try the stone one (I guess it won't work but ugh, better test it than not).

I tried 3 times with boat it never worked. (I noticed at the end I saw a yellow number showing 15 then 35 when he died, probably taming percentage?)... and I was dealing between 10-25 for the last hit... so unless someone else proves it wrong you can't tame horse with cheese boat.

Worst case scenario I guess I'll need like a steel sword and some armor and 90 mc/90agi to fight it on toe or something, but ugh I'm so far from having 90/90 and to have the armor too.
masamune03

Postby sMartins » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:14 am

Boulders works. Tbh should be fixed.
P.S. Btw also boat works, you used too aggressives combat moves, just punch it.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Potjeh » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:50 am

Bronze sword works too, you can do it at like 50MC/50UA if you have a decent leather set and use Shield Up. Just get a couple of Uppercuts in and proceed to spam Sideswipe, the horse should run out of HP before you do.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby masamune03 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Never give up... So I tried once more with the boat strat, by only punching it (have like 20-30 ua but 45 mc), and it didn't work, it takes a while, I was hurt a lot and have to heal a lot, even paused for a bit to wait to get my hp back (was like at 10 hp at the end.. needed to pause to regen, lost a few pieces of armor) and it didn't even work.

So I don't know what I am doing wrong or if it is an expected result, but never trying to tame with a boat ever again. Such a waste of time for me.

And now I tried with the rocks strat, and it worked. :shock: Why it worked ? I don't know, as usual rushed the peaceful button, and even used a steel weapon and went berserk on him until he was like 20 hp left, then I was very slow, even let him hit me a bit (idk if it matters or not, whatever, I'm into voodoo ideas now, so I was spamming reducing opening moves) then I finally attack him and he didn't die. First cycle of tame finished.

Why rocks strat worked but not boat ? idk in the end. I hope I will finally get this horse

EDIT : Oh I did 280 damage (thanks pure pasta client which shows how much you dealt to an ennemy) to a horse and then realized I didn't peace(the sword icon top right) it, but it didn't matter since I got the taming cycle fine even if I did a very late peace.
Last edited by masamune03 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masamune03

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:50 am

When I was taming at the start of the world we utilized our palisade to tame anything that was too strong. The trick behind it was to aggro the animal thats ready to tame, and run through a gate and slam it before they get out and wreck you. You'll find they are pretty easy to hit through the door, and even the normal wall in some cases, especially when they twitch. There were times when we did this to tame/hunt and would be able to hit them, without them hitting us.
Oh and its easier if you have gates that open inwards and outwards. Could drag bears to the gate and smack them through it.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Mortis123 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:01 pm

Hey all,

I want to bump this thread because something was changed, right ? I came back to the game after some time and found out that method with rocks isn't working anymore for taming (when you using big rocks as a wall and attack the animal through them). I attached a boar to hitching post and aggro him but he break the rock so I had to run...

Also some animals like boar, deer, bear etc have much bigger armour now, true ? And the bow feels much better than it used to be imo.
So to simplify everything my 2 questions are:

1) What is the best method to tame animals using pretty weak character (solo and group)?
2) What is the best hunting method to kill stronger animals early in the game ? It's possible ?

Cheers!
Mortis123

Postby Finigini » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 pm

You are right about these changes, some animals have natural armor, animals will demolish objects with low soak if they are in the way, and the bow aim speed is consistent.

The best method is still to probably cheese the animal with a boat or horse if you have one. If you want to face them honorably definitely get your hands on some decent leather armor if you can.

When hunting, the more people the better. Just don't accidentally shoot your friend with the bow. Everyone helps create bigger openings with their attacks so keep that in mind when planning to take down a stronger animal.
Finigini

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?