What to eat - Food Guide for Beginners

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

What to eat - Food Guide for Beginners

Postby solexi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Yo guys and girls! During my long and short journeys I often meet new playeres who have no idea how to develop their characters. They just devour everything they stumble upon like ants and create some abominations! If you are one of those players and don't know what to do I'm coming to rescue you!

Then the idea came to make a simple guide showcasing some "easy to acquire" (mostly) and available at different time time periods foodstuff. This guide is aimed for players who are new to the game and don't have a knowledge about food. I'm not covering food satiations in the guide since there is a really good guide made by zebratul.
If you wanna learn about FEP, Food Satiations or Variety and other bonuses make sure to check it out:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50538

Tier 1 includes food for your first days till you're able to fight some animals and gather some metal. It's good to get a Fisherman Credo on your fighter character since you'll need it in the future and fishes give you nice early game boosts :)
Tier 2 begins during your 2nd-3rd week when you'll be able to fight animals, but your fields won't be big enough to make massive production of baked goods. Try to avoid eating a lot of sausages, hunt to get hides and bones, not food.
Tier 3 at this point you'll be able to tame and feed animals. Fields should be big enough for you to start gaining a lot of stats. This tier lasts longer than previous ones. Getting Gardener Credo will be really helpful with Cavebulbs at this tier :D
Tier 4 this tier will be the last one and you will have to judge when the food from previous tier stopped doing it's job. Keep in mind that cheese production takes a lot of time, so it's better to start making it at the end of T3 already :)

Some of the optional food are Sacrebeu and Pirozhki, but there are to many different types to fit them all in the guide, sorry :roll:
We had the crafter part, now it's time for the main character a.k.a. fighter!

Other useful links:
https://certainly-not-a-cat.github.io/cookbook/
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Haven_and_Hearth_Wiki

Special thanks to Niklot, Bonus, Geleor, Trollex for letting me use their knowledge and Amanda for cheering me up!

Make sure to share this image with some nice newbies you met in our beautiful world :D
I'm waiting for your feedback and criticism!
Stay safe and well fed!
Che
Last edited by solexi on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
cyrus9586 wrote:Who knows who you really just met. He acts like he is nice and gave you a BUNCH of q200 clothes! He can't be bad...Later that night "Your New Buddy" meets with his village and says he found some fresh newbies to mess with when they get bored and that he has a way in. Oh, you thought those clothes were gifts? Nah just "Loaners"
solexi

Re: Food for Crafters Guide

Postby replikant8 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:07 pm

The guide is generally good, these are the foods people should focus on when raising their stats but I feel like it should be divided into sections. For example tuber mash and boiled river pearl mussels are not the same tier food, you eat them at different stages of the game. If you focus on getting stats, once you get access to tuber mash you don't really care about mussels or boiled eggs anymore.

I appreciate the effort, with some slight modifications it's a nice clean-looking guide and it doesn't overwhelm new players. Quality first post too :).
Discord: Niklot#3126
replikant8

Postby shubla » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:31 pm

cool image
text too long to read
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Reyajh » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Nifty, compact guide. I like the scroll effect...
Really appreciate the link to that cookbook site!!! I never knew :D
Just my .O2... Taste, drink.., like/hate...
Jorb: "Oh, don't you worry. We're gonna take care of the pepper situation!" ¦]
Reyajh

Postby solexi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:00 pm

replikant8 wrote:The guide is generally good, these are the foods people should focus on when raising their stats but I feel like it should be divided into sections. For example tuber mash and boiled river pearl mussels are not the same tier food, you eat them at different stages of the game. If you focus on getting stats, once you get access to tuber mash you don't really care about mussels or boiled eggs anymore.

I appreciate the effort, with some slight modifications it's a nice clean-looking guide and it doesn't overwhelm new players. Quality first post too :).

Good point! I will add the tier list. Thanks for the feedback!

shubla wrote:cool image
text too long to read

Will keep that in mind and try to lower the amount of text! Thanks for idea ;)

Reyajh wrote:Nifty, compact guide. I like the scroll effect...
Really appreciate the link to that cookbook site!!! I never knew :D

Thanks! I hope both link and guide will be useful :D
cyrus9586 wrote:Who knows who you really just met. He acts like he is nice and gave you a BUNCH of q200 clothes! He can't be bad...Later that night "Your New Buddy" meets with his village and says he found some fresh newbies to mess with when they get bored and that he has a way in. Oh, you thought those clothes were gifts? Nah just "Loaners"
solexi

Re: What to eat - Food Guide

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:48 pm

Nice! Clear and concise, will be understandable for newbies. Good Job. :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby MadNomad » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:49 am

replikant8 wrote:The guide is generally good, these are the foods people should focus on when raising their stats but I feel like it should be divided into sections. For example tuber mash and boiled river pearl mussels are not the same tier food, you eat them at different stages of the game. If you focus on getting stats, once you get access to tuber mash you don't really care about mussels or boiled eggs anymore.

mussels are okay until you reach the point when you dont need dex any longer so they are basically good all the time, you can just spam them, they have low hunger and with feasting it will be a lot lower, what are you going to do with leftovers after making pnecks anyway?

what quality is your flax? :o :o :o---------------------------- :roll:
btw tuber mash doesnt give dex iirc so why compare it
but yeah boiled eggs are trash, they might be good in some recipes with other ingredients maybe, but otherwise they are far worse than most things, also during early game
MadNomad

Postby solexi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:59 am

Amanda44 wrote:Nice! Clear and concise, will be understandable for newbies. Good Job. :D

Thanks Amanda :3

MadNomad wrote:btw tuber mash doesnt give dex iirc so why compare it
but yeah boiled eggs are trash, they might be good in some recipes with other ingredients maybe, but otherwise they are far worse than most early game things

Tuber Mash does actually give nice amount of dex if you use butter made of goat milk :p
Thanks for the opinion on boiled eggs, will look for a nice replacement for them when I will remake the image :)
solexi

Postby MadNomad » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 am

solexi wrote:
MadNomad wrote:btw tuber mash doesnt give dex iirc so why compare it
but yeah boiled eggs are trash, they might be good in some recipes with other ingredients maybe, but otherwise they are far worse than most early game things

Tuber Mash does actually give nice amount of dex if you use butter made of goat milk :p

oh well seems like my info was outdated ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
do u mind to share the stats anyway?
MadNomad

Re: What to eat - Food Guide

Postby solexi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:12 am

MadNomad wrote:
oh well seems like my info was outdated ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
do u mind to share the stats anyway?

Showing my crafter stats would actually be kinda embarrassing :p As far as it comes to crafter part I was counting on what better players or my friends were suggesting since I'm nowhere near their level of knowledge.
With the fighter I'm currently at my "3rd tier" with stats reaching 2.5k the highest. I don't have the greatest character, but I had some support from earlier mentioned people :) Hope this will satisfy you. Keep in mind that this guide is made for new, inexperienced players.
solexi

Next

Return to How do I?