A brief exposé on casting rod fishing

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: A brief exposé on casting rod fishing

Postby Potjeh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:57 pm

Hemp/bone/comet is twice as good as taproot/metal/comet for catfish. So yeah, tackle combo influences "presence" too, not just catch chance. Which means the first number isn't actually fish presence but chance to get a bite (of which fish presence is just one part), and second number is chance to successfully reel in once you get a bite. So you shouldn't go with what's cheapest tackle, but rather what's got highest bite chance (while having 100% reel in chance, of course).
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Sevenless » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm

Potjeh wrote:Hemp/bone/comet is twice as good as taproot/metal/comet for catfish. So yeah, tackle combo influences "presence" too, not just catch chance. Which means the first number isn't actually fish presence but chance to get a bite (of which fish presence is just one part), and second number is chance to successfully reel in once you get a bite. So you shouldn't go with what's cheapest tackle, but rather what's got highest bite chance (while having 100% reel in chance, of course).

I didn't see any hint of that when I was testing, but that's a perfectly testable hypothesis so I'll do that. And I do remember seeing jorb word it that way when I was filtering through for old posts. Bite chance vs land chance.

Any comments about quality causing lowered loss?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby fatfunnyvalentine » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:21 pm

not 2 necro this & most of these could be fairly iffy and out of date, however, pomfret was not included, and after an hour of suffering, I managed to catch a pomfret for my quest using straw twine, metal hook, and a rock lobster. and it was stupidly rare for me to spot
fatfunnyvalentine

Postby Sevenless » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:42 pm

fatfunnyvalentine wrote:not 2 necro this & most of these could be fairly iffy and out of date, however, pomfret was not included, and after an hour of suffering, I managed to catch a pomfret for my quest using straw twine, metal hook, and a rock lobster. and it was stupidly rare for me to spot

The only mechanic that has changed is casting rods show the least likely instead of the most likely fish catches. I was verifying this while doing my fisher credo this world. Thanks for adding to the tackle list :)

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby fatfunnyvalentine » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:05 am

In caves, Pale Ghostfish, Hemp fiber, Bone hook, Rock Lobster or Poppy Wobbler.
fatfunnyvalentine

Postby Eemerald » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:15 am

Sevenless, you're playing..??
A (bad) Haiku
I heart Emerald
She hates villagers with lives
Leads with iron fist
Eemerald

Postby Sevenless » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:46 pm

fatfunnyvalentine wrote:In caves, Pale Ghostfish, Hemp fiber, Bone hook, Rock Lobster or Poppy Wobbler.

Added.

Hi em! Sent a pm :)

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Vesena » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 pm

Sevenless wrote:
fatfunnyvalentine wrote:not 2 necro this & most of these could be fairly iffy and out of date, however, pomfret was not included, and after an hour of suffering, I managed to catch a pomfret for my quest using straw twine, metal hook, and a rock lobster. and it was stupidly rare for me to spot

The only mechanic that has changed is casting rods show the least likely instead of the most likely fish catches. I was verifying this while doing my fisher credo this world. Thanks for adding to the tackle list :)

My experience is it's not that simple. My hunch is it's programmed something like:

>Check the most likely catch
>Roll to see if it's ignored
>Check the second most likely catch
>Check the third most likely catch
>Carry on like this, restarting from the beginning if necessary, until there are a number of unignored catches equal to the Hearthling's fishing skill.

Not sure exactly how chance to ignore might be calculated, but it seems to be higher for fish with a low catch rate to begin with.
Vesena

Postby Sevenless » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:10 pm

Using the same tackle set, I consistently saw the same fish displayed for a solid 30 minutes while fishing sturgeon just now. If you are in an area with shifting nodes with some fishing just barely showing up the list can get pretty turbulent.

Hard to say with a mechanic like that. Also possible my will*surv is strong enough that I don't miss seeing things anymore. They're definitely ordered by bite chance now though when I was seeing my list.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby ErdTod » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:28 am

I don't think that these numbers are anything to do with fish density, or not entirely. Though the spot where you fish does matter, but changing lures changes both numbers. When changing just the lure, you can get very different numbers for both left and right number...
ErdTod

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?