A brief exposé on casting rod fishing

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: A brief exposé on casting rod fishing

Postby Potjeh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:57 pm

Hemp/bone/comet is twice as good as taproot/metal/comet for catfish. So yeah, tackle combo influences "presence" too, not just catch chance. Which means the first number isn't actually fish presence but chance to get a bite (of which fish presence is just one part), and second number is chance to successfully reel in once you get a bite. So you shouldn't go with what's cheapest tackle, but rather what's got highest bite chance (while having 100% reel in chance, of course).
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Re: A brief exposé on casting rod fishing

Postby Sevenless » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 pm

Potjeh wrote:Hemp/bone/comet is twice as good as taproot/metal/comet for catfish. So yeah, tackle combo influences "presence" too, not just catch chance. Which means the first number isn't actually fish presence but chance to get a bite (of which fish presence is just one part), and second number is chance to successfully reel in once you get a bite. So you shouldn't go with what's cheapest tackle, but rather what's got highest bite chance (while having 100% reel in chance, of course).

I didn't see any hint of that when I was testing, but that's a perfectly testable hypothesis so I'll do that. And I do remember seeing jorb word it that way when I was filtering through for old posts. Bite chance vs land chance.

Any comments about quality causing lowered loss?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

A brief exposé on casting rod fishing
Sevenless

Previous

Return to How do I?