A job for a noob

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

A job for a noob

Postby pppp » Tue May 07, 2019 9:59 am

In the current game state, what jobs a new char can do without affecting usefulness of the product?
I am looking for tasks I can assign for at least a few days without supervising all the time.
Also, I'd appreciate if suggested jobs are of the kind a human player would perform significantly better than a bot would do.

Expand / clarify lists below, please:

Things to do for a fresh char:
- silk (shuffling eggs and leaves, no boiling, spinning or weaving) - silkfarming is a quite cheap skill
- cheese (shuffling trays, but no milking or rennet production),
- tree chopping,
- terrain leveling, paving, terraforming in general,
- raise / place fishing nets (not sure if survival would softcap),
- dry fish,
- dry hides, make leather, (given hq tub, water, bark is made by someone else),
- make charcoal, tar, (parts of process, given hq trees are grown by someone else),
- making bricks,
- building trellises and drying racks,
- managing chicken coops and rabbit hutches,
- managing animals in general, milking them, shearing them, slaughtering and breeding them (though farmer credo gives a bonus to milk q and shearing softcaps wool by sewing and dexterity) (shubla suggestion)
- general help: collecting, stockpiling and delivering produce to the various consumers, (farm products, ore, woodblocks, boards, stone, water, boats etc) (Granger suggestion)
- decay maintenance if any of the infrastructure is not claimed and not immune to decay (depending on the structure this may or may not require skills)(Dondy suggestion)
- road construction & upkeep (Dondy suggestion)
- foraging for wild bees on horseback, looking for hives that do not fight back, but if they do, fleeing at speed with the horse. (though this is relevant only early world) (Dondy suggestion)
- patrolling weird areas (though there are reliability and credibility issues here) (Dondy suggestion)
- making construction-grade cloth (flax/hemp/wool/mohair) (Dondy suggestion)

Things to do for partially developed char, with more expensive skills (druidic rite / deep artifice) and not-that-much abilities / stats
- planting trees (requires some farming to avoid softcap, druidic rite for efficiency)
- mining tunnels (requires str to mine and some masonry for mining ore, deep artifice for ore efficiency)
- foraging: cave clay, bloated bolete, glimmermoss, flotsam, mussels, bay bolete, lingonberries, gooseneck barnacles, gray clay, jellyfish, though all (semi)valuable forageables still require some survival/perception/exploration/masonry and jelllyfish require heavy alting
- lure fishing with some survival and help from someone else to make hq lures / casting rod.
- building simple structures, pallisades,
- making steel (requires skill),
- farming trough-grade crops, trellis crops, (Headchef suggestion)
- gardening (requires some farming and having gardener credo helps a lot) (Headchef suggestion)
- butchering farm animals (softcapped by farming, easy early world, will require some learning in older world),
Last edited by pppp on Thu May 09, 2019 8:55 am, edited 11 times in total.
pppp

Re: A job for a noob

Postby Granger » Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Farm hand: collecting, stockpiling and delivering produce to the various consumers.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby shubla » Tue May 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Managing animals in general, milking them, shearing them, slaughtering and breeding them. Those are all quite tedious things, and do not really require any big investment into your character, as long as somebody else provides the fodder.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Headchef » Tue May 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Taking care of the animals can be done by someone with quite low stats.

Making sure the leather keeps running.

Can also have stats to do garden pots/trees within like a week of studying.

Trellis crops are also generally low quality, so can easily get like 40+40 farming and help with that too.

Cheesemaking is also mostly about having the setup and inventory space, easy to help with that too.
Headchef

Postby pppp » Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Headchef wrote:Taking care of the animals can be done by someone with quite low stats.
Making sure the leather keeps running.
Can also have stats to do garden pots/trees within like a week of studying.
Trellis crops are also generally low quality, so can easily get like 40+40 farming and help with that too.
Cheesemaking is also mostly about having the setup and inventory space, easy to help with that too.

Most of these were already in.
Wool quality is softcapped by sewing and dexterity so it works early world but later will require some character development.
Added trellis crops and gardening.
pppp

Postby DoctorCookie » Tue May 07, 2019 7:38 pm

What about organizing inventory? I know my cupboards are a mess and things of a certain quality need to be ordered and thrown out and I can bring myself to do it.
DoctorCookie

Postby NeoBasilisk » Wed May 08, 2019 8:17 pm

DoctorCookie wrote:What about organizing inventory? I know my cupboards are a mess and things of a certain quality need to be ordered and thrown out and I can bring myself to do it.

One possible issue with this is that a noob could have trouble recognizing the value of certain items. Some items have value regardless of quality, while others are trash except for the few very highest quality ones you want to hold onto.
NeoBasilisk

Postby Dondy » Thu May 09, 2019 1:30 am

Decay maintenance if any of the infrastructure is not claimed and not immune to decay.
Road construction & upkeep.
Travel to limited resources that do not merit a bot, such as to a grey clay spot worth harvesting.
Foraging for items that do not spawn in nearby biomes but which might be required eg. puffball mushroom etc. I like to keep oddments like that on hand in case some questgiver wants a left handed flag pole key.
Banner component crafting: it doesn't matter what q the cloth is, but it does eat up stamina to craft and take diligence to keep after the fibre fields
Transportation of rowboats overland.
Foraging for wild bees on horseback, looking for hives that do not fight back, but if they do, fleeing at speed with the horse.
Patrolling areas that may not be protected by an alarm, such as that gallery just off the map on the fourth mine level, etc.
Dondy

Postby pppp » Thu May 09, 2019 8:51 am

NeoBasilisk wrote:
DoctorCookie wrote:What about organizing inventory? I know my cupboards are a mess and things of a certain quality need to be ordered and thrown out and I can bring myself to do it.

One possible issue with this is that a noob could have trouble recognizing the value of certain items. Some items have value regardless of quality, while others are trash except for the few very highest quality ones you want to hold onto.

Yeah.

Dondy wrote:Banner component crafting: it doesn't matter what q the cloth is, but it does eat up stamina to craft and take diligence to keep after the fibre fields

Largish part of it can be automated but yeah, banner grade cloth (be it flax/hemp/wool/mohair) is something that can be done.
Dondy wrote:Transportation of rowboats overland.

Now, that's cruel !

Added some of that.
pppp

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 09, 2019 9:18 am

pppp wrote:
Dondy wrote:Transportation of rowboats overland.

Now, that's cruel !

If you have a place to park the cart or the rowboat... not that big a deal. If you don't, Make a road from where you can park a cart to the water. Load boat and whatever you're putting in it to the cart... much much easier. Still tedious work if you have a few people doing a job (and no knarr for cargo capacity), and potentially a lot of travel weariness.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to How do I?