Metal Spiralling FAQ

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Metal Spiralling FAQ

Postby loleznub » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Effectively, yesthe idea behind spiraling is you upgrade your hammer, anvil, and finery forge each time you get a 20% crit on the metal. This ensures a slow but gradual increase in your metal quality.

With the changes this world,I do believe you want deep artifice, as that now only changes the chance for bloom to occur, and does not effect the chance of iron/wrought being made from said bloom. If I remember correctly is is 50/50 to become bloom or slag. Then there's various chances for how that bloom turns out.
loleznub

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:19 pm

loleznub wrote:With the changes this world,I do believe you want deep artifice, as that now only changes the chance for bloom to occur, and does not effect the chance of iron/wrought being made from said bloom. If I remember correctly is is 50/50 to become bloom or slag. Then there's various chances for how that bloom turns out.

Yeah. I started doing some testing with an alt on this, and if there is a difference, it's small. (i'm still only about 40% wrought on the alt.. unsure if just lucky or if there's a real trend there after about 40 blooms hammered out.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loleznub » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:13 pm

You're just unlucky. I would suggest avoiding spiraling and focusing on something else. To make spiraling worthwhile you require a very, very large village to be keeping up in all aspects of gameplay. Especially if you're not in one of the groups with access to level 9 mines.
loleznub

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:04 am

Everyone with a mining operation will have to do some spiraling if they want decent iron. Do you need to grind out for the best anvils and hammers? No. Trade for those. Let others spend the copious amounts of materials to do the work. If you can't get top quality clay, ore, and other materials in various means, you're not going to be able to keep up simply because you lack the kilns and furnaces to make the q200+ bars i'm assuming are coming along now. When you can take q10 iron ochre and turn half of the bars you get into q100 using a good anvil and hammer you purchased.... Too much wrought on your hands? Make steel, sell the steel to those that want it or turn it into curios.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby kenny1281 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:12 am

Im slowly starting to see how difficult and costly metal spiralling will be...

Added the advice to the front post, please notify if i got anything wrong.
kenny1281

Postby loleznub » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 am

I don't think upgrading the finery forge is optional. If you start to softcap your bloom it very quickly starts increasing the need for more iron to progress.

This makes the potter credo, hinting,and gathering (bone clay, potter brick) essential. Obviously you also need high q tar kilns and trees for charcoal as well.
loleznub

Postby kenny1281 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:37 am

loleznub wrote:I don't think upgrading the finery forge is optional. If you start to softcap your bloom it very quickly starts increasing the need for more iron to progress.

This makes the potter credo, hinting,and gathering (bone clay, potter brick) essential. Obviously you also need high q tar kilns and trees for charcoal as well.

yeah makes sense. I'll update it.
kenny1281

Previous

Return to How do I?