Metal Spiralling FAQ

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Metal Spiralling FAQ

Postby kenny1281 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:27 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner at metal spiralling and I thought maybe I would make a post about what i think the metal spiralling process is and include questions around it. (and questions from other users)
If any veterans would like to add some tips it would be great and I will add it to a list.

tl;dr
If you don't have the resources and time just buy hammer and anvils.

The Process:
    1: Upgrade your Finery Forge so you don't softcap bloom for this iteration*
    2. Gather LOTS of iron.
    3. Keep making wrought iron till they have reached around the quality of their anvil/hammer
    4. Keep making wrought iron in hopes for 7 "crits" which will guarantee 20% quality increase of what the product
    5. Make another set of anvil and hammer which will be "20% better"
    6. Rinse and repeat steps 1-5 till desired quality.

*Not doing so will eventually start to softcap your bloom and it will very quickly starts increasing the need for more iron to progress.

The Questions:
    loleznub wrote:
    DoctorCookie wrote:Does anyone know what effect finery forge quality has on the spiralling process?

Finery forge will softcap the bloom quality.

since bloom is the most integral part of how spiraling, it softcapping is very bad.

It is (forgeQ+CoalQ) / 2. If the metal you're spiraling is above this by a significant margin then you're best waiting until you can get better q coal or a forge.

Q: Which of the skills that affect the chance of wrought iron do we want/not want?
    A:
    MagicManICT wrote:
    loleznub wrote:With the changes this world,I do believe you want deep artifice, as that now only changes the chance for bloom to occur, and does not effect the chance of iron/wrought being made from said bloom. If I remember correctly is is 50/50 to become bloom or slag. Then there's various chances for how that bloom turns out.

Yeah. I started doing some testing with an alt on this, and if there is a difference, it's small. (i'm still only about 40% wrought on the alt.. unsure if just lucky or if there's a real trend there after about 40 blooms hammered out.)

Last edited by kenny1281 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
kenny1281

Re: Metal Spiralling

Postby Fierce_Deity » Thu May 23, 2019 4:51 am

Keep making wrought and hope the Q goes up in the process. When your blooms turn to cast iron that is higher Q you can run those again to get them even higher. I like to use my wrought that is higher than my current anvil/hammer to upgrade usually. Keep in mind that grinding out a significant upgrade takes quite a bit of metal. See this page for more information: http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Bar_of_Wrought_Iron
Fierce_Deity

Re: Metal Spiralling

Postby DoctorCookie » Fri May 24, 2019 12:53 am

Can I add a question to this. I have some metal stockpiled and was wanting to try my hand at spiraling it, I have deep artifice, I searched for some info and found some old threads that were slightly unclear. Does DA affect the current process or does it affect the metal from start to finish, meaning to get the bonuses from deep artifice would I have to be the one that dug the ore from the ground or just the one smelting or using the finery forge hammer and anvil to get wrought.
DoctorCookie

Re: Metal Spiralling FAQ

Postby MagicManICT » Fri May 24, 2019 8:09 am

Deep Artifice affects the probability of smelting it first, and for that, it is based on the character that dug the ore out.

For the process of making wrought, it's checked when you hammer it out on the anvil. Previously, you wanted a smithy character that didn't have any of the metal skills to hammer out your blooms so you had the best chance at iron bars again. Supposedly, the chances were changed this world. I haven't tested to see how much of a change there was.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MooCow » Sat May 25, 2019 5:48 am

MagicManICT wrote:Deep Artifice affects the probability of smelting it first, and for that, it is based on the character that dug the ore out.

For the process of making wrought, it's checked when you hammer it out on the anvil. Previously, you wanted a smithy character that didn't have any of the metal skills to hammer out your blooms so you had the best chance at iron bars again. Supposedly, the chances were changed this world. I haven't tested to see how much of a change there was.

I got you brah,
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=62967

jarbo wrote:
  • Chance to get wrought when pounding bloom is now always 50%, unaffected by skills. The skills Metallurgy, Steelmaking and Deep Artifice instead increase the chance of getting a positive critical hit when forging wrought iron, up to a maximum of what the effect has been historically
MooCow

Postby MagicManICT » Sat May 25, 2019 7:28 am

Thanks, MooCow. It wouldn't be the first time a change was made, but didn't take effect. I didn't want to say "this for sure" without knowing for sure.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Uriel » Sat May 25, 2019 12:12 pm

And what about finery forge upgrades?
Uriel

Postby DoctorCookie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:51 am

Does anyone know what effect finery forge quality has on the spiralling process?
DoctorCookie

Postby loleznub » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:19 am

DoctorCookie wrote:Does anyone know what effect finery forge quality has on the spiralling process?

Finery forge will softcap the bloom quality.

since bloom is the most integral part of how spiraling, it softcapping is very bad.

It is (forgeQ+CoalQ) / 2. If the metal you're spiraling is above this by a significant margin then you're best waiting until you can get better q coal or a forge.
loleznub

Postby kenny1281 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:09 am

Make me think that the spiralling process have to include making a better finery forge everytime... would that be correct?

also do we not want deep artificer and other skills since we dont want the iron to turn into wrought iron?
kenny1281

Next

Return to How do I?