Forage in winter

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Forage in winter

Postby Agrik » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:25 am

Partially good news.

In short. It seems to be possible to get at least Spindly Taproots amidst the winter, in an area already covered in snow. Just get a shovel (not necessary make) and clear the area of snow. Of course, the terrain under snow should be appropriate. Nice devs' work, if intended. ;)
It's partially good because cleaning a half-decent area takes probably too much energy for a hungry newbie. But at least it's something.
The second downside is that most forageables seem to be really season-dependent and not appearing during winter at all, regardless of terrain.

What I did this winter.
I was noticing that forageables in the areas partially covered with snow are found on the "real" terrain only.
Later I thought that it may be possible to get them spawning if I clean the ground back.
It was a long and tedious work for my mouse and me, but 2 or 3 hours and some thousands of energy later I cleared something like 70x40 meters.
Logging out for 20 minutes gave nothing twice despite it was a forest area (namely Sombre Bramble and Pine Barren) rich with everything before, and I went to sleep.
When I visited it today, there was 2 Spindly Taproots. Though as almost a day passed, the area got already covered with snow for, like, 50%?
I hope it wasn't a visual glitch, because I forgot to actually pick them... :oops:
0020_cut.png
0020_cut.png (32.38 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

Now I'm cleaning it again to see if anything else will spawn.
Agrik

Re: Forage in winter

Postby mvgulik » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:09 am

Sounds like Herbs seasonality is more a "snow, or no snow" side effect.

Clearing a large area of snow in its current implementation seems more a bot-job, than something that a player himself might be doing for some extended amount of time. (have not tried it myself though)
mvgulik

Postby Agrik » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:57 am

Only for a small subset of them, as it seems to me. I haven't seen most of herbs, mushrooms, etc. in winter at all, while Taproots, Nettle, and maybe something else were in noticeable quantities on the snowless tiles.

Addition: Stinging Nettle and Rustroot grow on cleaned area as well. 30 minutes of being logged out after cleaning it, and it looks like no new snow tiles appeared.
0021_cut.png
0021_cut.png (31.33 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
Agrik

Postby Agrik » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:42 am

Today's catch. Mandrake along with Taproot.
0022_cut.png
0022_cut.png (32.14 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

Everything is pickable (yesterday was as well). Bats spawn on snow, btw (or maybe on trees, as mistletoe and beehives do?)

Maybe somebody can check other terrains before the winter is over? I'm thinking to clean a corner of High Ground here, but most other terrains around are forest as two I'm already checking, and I doubt it worth the clicks.

Additions to estimate possible quantities: 2 Nettles on one check; 2 Taproots + 1 Rustroot next time, per that 70x40 forest patch with >10k Per*Exp. High Ground had nothing so far.
Last edited by Agrik on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agrik

Postby mvgulik » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:30 am

Agrik wrote:before the winter is over

Spring should be starting in a few days from now.
mvgulik

Postby Agrik » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:21 am

And I'm afraid the winter will be over while not fully investigated.

So far. Clover on the High Ground. And nothing spawned on the forest parts this time.
0025_cut.png
0025_cut.png (31.16 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Agrik

Postby mvgulik » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Agrik wrote:I'm afraid the winter will be over while not fully investigated.

Don't worry about that. There will always be an other winter if need be. ;)
mvgulik

Postby borka » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 pm

thanks Agrik for science :)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby valeriesusanne » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:22 pm

On the wiki (tables/seasons/forageables) Rainbow Shell and Washed up Bladderwrack are listed as "no data available" for winter. Not sure where to report, but I did find both on Feb 14, 2020, which is technically winter. The rainbow shell was in shallow ocean water (not frozen) just off a completely snow covered coast. The bladderwrack was on skargard, however, that was still showing spots of open terrain. I have since not found any bladderwrack on completely snow covered skargard or beach, but it brings up the old truism that you can't prove something does not exist by not finding it (I have a pet theory about this game: by some algorithm, whatever item shows up in a quest becomes immediately next-to-impossible to find, until after you spend several days wandering around to find it, and once you do, you're stumbling over said item everywhere. Or maybe that's just my sorry luck.) In any case, it would appear that although bladderwrack exists in winter (as does green kelp, so makes sense), the "washed-up" part may depend on ground not covered by snow, even though it doesn't actually "grow" on land. I need to find one more for my quest - I'll let you know if I do and on what terrain
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby mvgulik » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 pm

valeriesusanne wrote:Not sure where to report (RoB wiki stuff)

On HnH forum: The Ring of Brodgar Wiki topic is one option.
(On RoB wiki (on related discussion page) ... is an other .. of course. ;) )
(related page updated)

Good Logic wrote:You can't prove something does not exist by not finding it
... O so true ... although I settle for a bit less than 100%. :)
mvgulik

Return to How do I?