Knarr questions

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Knarr questions

Postby valeriesusanne » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:17 pm

I have a couple of questions about the knarrs I couldn't seem to find the answers to in the forum:
1: How long can a knarr sail in the "damaging" areas of the high seas? How many hitpoints are safe (ie, how many tarsticks of damage)?
2: Are delicate cargo items, such as looms and wardrobes, safe on a knarr or will they deteriorate over time? Does it make a difference if the knarr is under my claim?
I am planning to move to a different continent, and was wondering if it would be safe to load these items in advance. And I am trying to map out a route using the "odditown" map, looking for the shortest distance across the high seas.
Thanks for any advice you can throw my way (and sorry if I missed the answers buried in the forum somewhere)
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Re: Knarr questions

Postby Tamalak » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:07 pm

1. It depends on the quality of the knarr. VERY rough guesstimate: a healthy q90 knarr could sail for an hour in deep ocean before being destroyed. To repair an almost-destroyed q90 knarr would take like 6 tar sticks.

I believe that increasing the quality of the knarr only increases the hitpoints, not the repair efficiency. So I think a q40 knarr can last twice as long as q10 but also require twice as many sticks to repair from near-0. Even a q10 knarr should be able to go from anywhere to anywhere as long as you're careful. And remember you can't repair a knarr in the high seas but you can repair it between jumps at the high sea. So if you're worried, just bring sticks with you.

2. I don't know about looms and wardrobes, but I do know that animals will decay in a knarr, even if the knarr is on your claim. If you're packing to move, use proper chests imo.
Tamalak

Postby valeriesusanne » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:19 pm

OK, thanks for the information!! Very much appreciated :-)
I think I'll wait till last minute to pack my delicates, just to be safe!
valeriesusanne

Postby Granger » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:47 pm

Decay of animals in cargo likely is time based, not a function of world decay.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:29 am

You can probably get by with running with them for a few hours. Just make sure to load them last, and make sure you get something up that can protect them when you get to your destination. Looms will last for several days outside with minimal damage, but they do still take damage even on a claim. I won't speak for other objects that can take damage even on claims.

edit; When went to post this, I was thinking that cupboards and such would still take decay hits, even in carts and such, but remembered after I posted that back in w7 (and earlier), people would use carts to store cupboards outside for seed sorting as they were the largest container available, and were protected while in a vehicle.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby valeriesusanne » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:08 am

Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind :)
valeriesusanne

Postby MadNomad » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:21 pm

the major issue is players that you can meet on your way, this is the only real danger
if you take 10 - 20 tarsticks with yourself it should be enough to keep sailing for a while, and check the ships condition every a few minutes to see how fast it gets destroyed (just repair and cancel the repair to see, if the ship is damaged just a little then feel free to save the tarstick and repair later, and look at what % of the ship is repaired with each repair just so u can figure out when and how often you should do that)
MadNomad

Return to How do I?